Purchasing a Beneteau Oceanis 411

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2010
None NA Stuart, FL
We hope to purchase a Beneteau Oceanis 411 in the near future and would like some advice as to what specific things to look for during our inspection. I am most interested in things that could affect safety or lead to large expenses down the road. I know that there is no perfect boat and all boats have their weaknesses. I'm looking for weaknesses that are specific to this specific make and model.

As an aside, I'd also enjoy hearing what owners of this boat like or dislike about her. We plan to live aboard full time and do mostly coastal cruising in the Caribbean. We also plan to make an occasional passage between the East coast of US and the Virgin islands. thanks
Pete

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Apr 3, 2010
Beneteau 411 Celebration and 260 Shotley and Punta Gorda
Hi Pete
I own a 411, I sail it in Europe. I have the Cellebration model, which is an upgrade they bought out in Europe after they had sold 1000-1200 boats. I sail across the north sea and around the English Channel so fairly challenging waters. The boat is my forth largish cruiser and all things taken into account the best.
However there is always a compromise and if I have to critisize the design I think the main saloon seating could be better. Also my boat has only got a small bow thruster, these are often frowned on by the purists out there but there is not much hull in the water forward until you are under sail so the wind can take over just when you are trying to dock the boat and a thruster is useful.
The rest is pretty good, the construction is sound and the finish good for a mass produced boat, I am a retired engineer and comparing it with for instance the Hunter 376 that I had before it; the care with which it is put together the plumbing and electrics are far better, the finish behind some of the out of the way place is still neat and tidy, no rough fibre glass at least not in our boat.
Now the important bit; she sails very well the power coming from the genoa
She is well behaved in big winds We can reef under way, (Electric winch for haliards) and we sail short handed just the two of us , age is not important but we are 66 and 68. Most summers we are away for six to eight weeks
We crossed the North sea to Holland this summer and the wind picked up to force 7 for most of the trip off of our stern quarter with long waves driving under us and Epsilon Blue just eat it.
As far as equipment is concerned the European Beneteau's have Volvo engines 55hp and so far I have had no issues with it however it is only used as a last resort and to get us in and out of Harbours and Marinas. The rest of the equipment is pretty standard as on most production boats.
The only other problem we have is the hull is dark blue which we love but you have to keep on top of it and any scuffs or scratches do show, if I were buying again it would be white. I did fit a rubbing strake to the hull just under the Teak top rail to give added protection when we use locks etc. One other improvement we have made is a large holding tank behind the port cabin there is plenty of room there.
There are several different layouts of the 411 and a good friend of mine has the 423 very similar and a more common model in the USA I believe, another good boat.
Hope you find what you are looking for. John

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I'll echo John's endorsement, this a solid boat, sails beautifully and is available with proper equipment. It was built for about 6 years and there were variants so you have lots of choices. We opted for the 2 cabin model. I'm more of traditionalist so an emphasis on sailing over harbor hanging was the criterion. Compared to the other boats we shopped the B411 has narrower cabin doors and a tighter fit, but it still carries 6'4" of headroom. Love the forward head, wish more builders used this tight space for a head. It feels cozy below and the aft L-shape galley works beautifully under way. With a low coach roof you will find it easy to scramble forward and the hand-holds are right where they need to be. Generous anchor locker, proper electric winch. Stout anchor rollers (2) and plenty of clearance to prevent swinging an anchor into the stem. The double spreader rig on the Classic main is reassuring in a blow, and single line reefing makes shortening a sail easy (from the cockpit). The LE carries bigger primary (54) and secondary (44) lewmars and they are right where you want them. The boat will likely overpower in the Trades, like so many of these fast Frenchies, but you will love the speed and pointing capability. While it doesn't have the name and exotic build of the Sabre, Jboat, and Tartan you will find you can hang with all three and maybe even make better way. This is a relatively light boat and she moves like a dancer in light winds. All the more amazing because she only draws 5 feet of water. Beneteau got it right with the bulb keel.

The one thing that I will say is that the cozy, tight build below results in difficult access to wiring and crowded busses. The AC panel is buried under the nav station. So have the wiring checked carefully. If you have a Yanmar it will likely come with a hydraulic clutch transmission that DOES NOT want to locked into reverse under sail. Figure on a feathering prop, it pays dividends in speed under sail. Other than that I think that you will find that the B411 is a design that takes all of the best elements of a fast cruiser to the design ends. I consider it one of those boats that we will call classic one day. Long waterline, low, lovely sheer, nice big swim platform. It just does everything well and can be purchased completely sorted out for a price only a big production boat provides. Good luck in your shopping, check back in with your results. Gun

Dec 10, 2010
None NA Stuart, FL
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like we'll close this week. One question. There is a negative on/off battery switch that allows you to disconnect the common negative terminals of both house and start batteries. How is this switch used? Not sure of its purpose.

Also the boat came with a Simpson Lawrence Horizon Express electric windlass.Do you know if it's interlocked so that it works only when the engine is running. The windlass relay (solenoid) has an extra wire running to it that we can't identify. Ours doesn't work and we're trying to chase down the wiring.
Pete

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The negative switch allows you to reassuringly turn off all DC power, both House and Start. I use it when working on the wiring, or if we have a mystery power draw.

The windlass DOES NOT require that the engine be running. A nice touch for sailing to and off the anchor. It pulls power from the House.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
But if you DO use the windlass, you'd be well advised to have the engine running so as to minimize battery drain.

Dec 10, 2010
None NA Stuart, FL
I have verified with Beneteau USA that our 411 does require engine to be running to operate windlass. Beneteau sent a drawing showing this and I've also located the relay that serves this purpose. The drawing also shows a jumper that if installed overrides this function.
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.