Purchased a Soverel 33 Project Boat

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Well taking our racing to a new level!
Just purchased a Soverel 33 complete with tandem axle trailer and (2) Symmetrical Spins (1) Asymmetrical (6) head sails and (2) mains.

Boat has not been sailed since 2016 due to the previous owners health condition, sails have been stored indoors out of the reach of critters. This boat is what I would call a racing sail boat, it is powered by a single cylinder Yanmar diesel. She does need a good cleaning, the running rigging looking to be in excellent condition, I am guessing this will be a tad more fun racing over the Hunter 41 DS we have been running for the last few years.
I am sure it will be a month or two before it goes in, but the nice thing at less than 6000#'s we can use the clubs jib crane to put her in take her out of the water, from what I have read Soverel 33 is a great light air boat with her 30.4' WL with 538 Ft2 of sail area, but she can get to be a handful once the fan is turned up above 18 kts. Can't wait to giver her a go.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Congrats! Won't be a boat to go cruising with, but on the race course it should be fun. :biggrin:

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Congratulations. I crewed on a Soverel 27 for a couple seasons. Lots of fun. Almost impossible to beat in light winds. The previous owner pulled out the inboard diesel and replaced it with an outboard. It was pretty tender in winds over 10. We never really had enough rail meat to compete in those conditions, but it was a blast.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
we want pictures, please
Should get some tomorrow will be at the yard where it is right now and will shoot a couple to post. She is dirty but has some nice graphics on the bow, this boat is well ahead of its time, with the open transom and rod rigging that you see on boats of more current birth dates. My sons and I are planning to refurbish and race the heck out of it, I believe that it has a PHRF of 90.
Forgot to mention her name is ARION taken from Greek mythology

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
daydreamer, this is the most exciting post this year i think.
playing with sons is the best. fast boats make it even better.
i looked it up, you have some big horsepower. what a hoot!

flying big spinnakers is the best and then a vessel that will drive to weather easily to get home.

yippee!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats DayDreamer. You’ll be a dreamer no more. Perhaps you’ll have to change your moniker to “DayScreamer”.

I would encourage you to get a copy of Bethwaite’s book “Fast Handling Technique“.
He spends time discussing tender boats and how to keep the speed up in all sorts of conditions.

I’m another awaiting to be amazed with your pictures of her.

one word- EXCITING!
:beer::biggrin:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Sail Area/ Displacement a sporty 26.7! SBD.com calls it a fractional rig but it must be like a 9/10ths. Light displacement and hefty sail area. It's going to make that H41 DS look like a limousine.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We had a Several 33 at our club for a while. It was a project boat even when it was new because it was so lightly put together that things kept coming apart. The mast is quite bendy and needs to be carefully tuned to conditions to get the boat to perform. They can break if you’re not careful, too. Lack of beam means adding weight on the rail slows you down before it starts to hold you flat. Keep it light and reef. Sail fast!

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
There were 4 manufacturers of the S33. The last was Tartan, The Tartan models are 500# heavier but are considerably stiffer as is. The other manufacturers boats - Soveral, Pacific Yachts are pretty bendy by now and need reinforcements including an internal beam and jock straps. Boat is a PHRF killer in light. Needs lots of crew (8) to hold the boat down. Fun boat. You’ll learn a lot about mast bend and runners with this boat.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
This particular Soverel was manufactured as stated by the previous owner in 1983 in Florida by Soverel Marine, it has already had the stiffeners installed to help prevent the deck from flexing as caused by the stanchions being placed so far inboard. While this design was intended to allow the boat to point higher given its ability to sheet in the head sail closer to the center line, it did impart some structural challenges. Marc Soverel actually designed the stiffeners for these boats and issued them to owners as a recommended repair.
There is no interior per say on this boat, but it does have newer cushions for the berths, the head has been removed but can be reinstalled, there is an obvious leak in a fuel line, evidenced by diesel fuel laying in the bilge, the main winches (lewmar 43's 2 speed self tailing) mounted on the deck top have been removed to repair the structure they are mounted to, the hull has no blisters, the bottom was prepped and painted in 2016 with VC-17 and never put back in the water, there has been some water intrusion in the deck, but the deck core is foam which will allow for rather easy repair.
And yes the rig is meant to bend more ways the I have understanding for, part of the fun of learning how to manage this vessel, I did read that one must pay close attention to the predicted changes in wind speed and reef early, especially if you don't have a full compliment of crew.
The previous owner had said its pretty easy to get crew for this boat his comment was, "Everyone wants to be on a fast boat"!
More to come as time presses on........

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
There were 4 manufacturers of the S33. The last was Tartan, The Tartan models are 500# heavier but are considerably stiffer as is. The other manufacturers boats - Soveral, Pacific Yachts are pretty bendy by now and need reinforcements including an internal beam and jock straps. Boat is a PHRF killer in light. Needs lots of crew (8) to hold the boat down. Fun boat. You’ll learn a lot about mast bend and runners with this boat.
That's due to Tartan adding amenities, bulkheads and some fancy wood work on the interior, we already have one of those with the Hunter DS, we wanted something to have a hoot on for race days, bare bones grab your butt and fly!

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Daydreamer, the early boats built by Soverel were lighter and stiffer. The Tartan built seem to have a pretty good record in the class championships. They were stiffer than the other boats. Should be a fun boat. Raced against them for years. BYC Mac in your future?

Last edited: