Pulling prop shaft to change Stuffing Box - Hunter 310

Apr 11, 2021
Hunter 310 Island Heights, NJ
We are getting ready to replace the stuffing box and the shaft log rubber tube. What should we anticipate to remove the shaft from coupler at the engine?

Thanks in advance,

...Rick

Apr 11, 2021
Thanks Greg - I was afraid of that - I think we have better access, but less working space to slide the shaft. Once off, how did you reseat the shaft into the coupling?

Thanks!

...Rick

Attachments

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
A couple of things that you might want to consider, while you have the coupling off you may want to consider replacing the stuffing box with a dripless packing by PSS. HunterOwners.com sells split couplings which makes reassembly much easier.

Apr 11, 2021
We went back and forth on the dripless, and decided to stick with the conventional packing. I have read several articles with catastrophic failures on dripless. Will get measurements next weekend and look into the split coupling.

Thanks!

...Rick

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks Greg - I was afraid of that - I think we have better access, but less working space to slide the shaft. Once off, how did you reseat the shaft into the coupling?

Thanks!

...Rick
I ended up re-shafting and buying a new coupling which was faced to the shaft....my old bronze shaft had some circumferential cracks in it after I inspected it....and it was quite worn where it rode on the stuffing box ( or the stuffing box rode on the shaft...

I too have been considering a dripless seal (sort of partial to the Volvo lip seal due to its simplicity), but have so far stuck with my tried-and-true traditional stuffing box.

Greg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had to use a homemade press to get my old coupling off. A steering wheel type puller might work. $15 at Harbor Freight
I went back in with a split coupler.
62620_zzz_500.jpg

Jul 2, 2019
Hunter 310 Pine Beach, NJ
No room for the above puller. Idea... Use the existing coupler for a puller. Separate coupling halves and slide prop shaft back. Tap thru middle of 1" x 4" x 1/4" thick steel strap for 3/8" bolt. Insert short bolt then saw the threaded end off flush. Slip this between the coupling halves with head facing prop. Position so the bolt head is on the shaft, not the flange. Draw flange halves together with 2 bolts, pressing the shaft rearwards from the coupling half. Undo & repeat using a longer 3/8 bolt and washers or spacers under the head. After maybe 2 iterations you will not be able to insert a long enough 3/8 bolt and get it in the spacing because of the stupid bump in the hull. Fill the cavity in front of the shaft with 7/16 or 1/2" hex nuts and use them to press against. Was this understandable?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN

Thanks!

...Rick
I ended up replacing my shaft after Taking it out and inspecting it....so I purchased a new shaft and coupling. Pretty easy to push it on when new!
I have not used a split coupling, but I assume they are easier to get off and on...at least I hope so for you. :cool:

Greg