Pulling hurth transmission

Nov 27, 2010
hunter 36 Portland
There isn't enough room to pull the transmission away from the engine. After about a half inch I hit the fiberglass lip to the engine bilge ( see photo ).
Should I saw off the fiberglass lip or do something like disconnect the motor mounts and pull it forward.

Anyone else removed the transmission?

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Looks like you may need to disconnect the motor mounts to be able to lift and support the back of the engine at an angle where the transmission will clear the obstruction. Newer motor mounts can be stretched some, in the case of trying to leave the front ones on, but I would not try it with older ones. The engine would have to be realigned after installation.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Take the bolts off the motor mounts, use a 4x4 piece of wood directly overhead, attach a come-along to the engine and pull it directly up about 2 inches and you are set. No need to do anything more. Been there, done that!

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
What happened to that output coupler?? Do you have a before picture?
Do you mean for the shaft? I had already disconnected it. I had pulled my transmission to replace the damper plate, but when I went to re-install the transmission, the damper plate was not worn at all and I had no wiggle room so I had to pull the engine up about 3 inches to have room. $15.00 come-a-long from Harbor Freight lifted the engine with no problem (use the hooks on the top of the engine).

I did replace the engine mounts with these, you never have to pull the engine to replace mounts again as the studs thread in.

Attachments

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I was referring to the pac-man like shape of the output coupler on the transmission - seems like it would cause some vibration due to the lack of balance.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
I have used my main sheet line and blocks attached to a 4x4 overhead to lift my engine. It is an 8:1 so I can easily lift the engine by my self.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Leslie those cutouts on the Hurth is symmetrical and balanced. It is part of the output shaft. The cutouts are to provide access to the bearing covers.

Nov 27, 2010
hunter 36 Portland
I got frustrated because I am wasting my sailing time sitting at dock so I cut the fiberglass. The transmission came out with some effort. The coupling can be pushed back to make room. Had to turn the trans sideways and remove the left heat exchanger bolt.
I took the Trans apart and had a mechanic look at it. He said the clutch was bad.
He said the transmission is really hard to work on and I should just replace it.
He also said the shims on the bearings are calibrated at the factory so keep track of which shims go where or the teeth will mismatch and self destruct.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Jim - thanks for the education.. It just looked strange in the picture. Glad you got it out of there - I wish you the best on a rebuild.
Les

Nov 27, 2010
hunter 36 Portland
The clutch is inside the assembly on the left. If you take the nut off the top of it. The whole assembly is under pressure and it explodes. The shims are outside the main housing, be sure to keep track of them

Attachments

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ask a different mechanic!! I had issues with my transmission (same one) and a mechanic friend rebuilt it with no issues. I posted all the info on the Catalina 310 site last spring. Bought the rebuild kit and all the gaskets. If you can't find the post I will look through my records, but I can't do it right now.
Good luck.

Nov 27, 2010
hunter 36 Portland
The model number on my transmission says ZF 5. I'm confused wasn't it supposed to be a Hurth HBW 50?
I called Trans atlantic diesels and they said the ZF10 m was $2600 but I could get by with a ZF 6 for $1600. Has anyone installed ZF 6?

Sep 29, 2008
Clever, very clever, Ray. The make & model?
Just for you Stu:
MM-Small-65 rubber - $35.00/each + M12 height adjuster $12.00/ www.avproductsinc.com

FWIW, I have been really pleased with these. They knocked the noise down a bit in the cabin and eliminated that tock-tock-tock I could hear from the dock when the engine was running. I did not re-tap the hold, but created adapter plates out of 1/4" steel to bolt them down. I would have had to do that with any of the replacement mounts as they are all 4" on center now instead of 5". Here is a picture of the adapter.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
I was referring to the pac-man like shape of the output coupler on the transmission - seems like it would cause some vibration due to the lack of balance.
Hmmm, I am not all that sophisticated. I just bolted it all back together. I did add an R&D flex coupling there a few years ago that goes between the transmission and the shaft.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
FWIW, I just finished rebuilding our Hurth HBW50. The HBW50 became the ZF 5 when the company was sold. We got the parts from Federal Marine (talk to Jim - he's a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge!). Unlike most rebuilders who use the Alta brand parts, Jim got us original Hurth (now ZF) parts.
Before embarking on this project, we spoke to 4 different rebuilders, and 3 of them tried to sell us a new trans vs rebuilding our old one, stating that the HBW50 is "junk". Consensus seems to be that the Alta parts (which most rebuilders use!) are inferior to the ZF although cost is 50% less! (read: lower cost parts= higher profit for the rebuilder!). I found that rebuilding wasn't that difficult; just need some spare time, a press and some accurate measuring instruments. Complete rebuild manual for HBW / ZF is commonly available as a pdf from various sources online.
BTW, we considered replacement, but ZF5 and 10 are obsolete, and have been replaced by the ZF12 which is approx. 1-1/2" longer. That didn't work in our situation.
(And Jim, the clutch is not bad... typically you only need new friction discs and thrust washers).

Attachments

Nov 27, 2010
hunter 36 Portland
Time is not something I want to waste. Sounds like I can't do the ZF-6, ZF-10, or ZF-12 without lifting the engine and realigning it. This is getting over my head.
Does someone sell rebuilt ZF-5s that I can stick in there and get back in the water?