PSS DRIPLESS question

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS Lake City Marina
Looking to replace pss dripless on my 1987 catalina 30 tr, need to know stern shaft log dia. I tried to measure it and it looks to be1 3/4" or a bit less, possibly 1 5/8", anybody know for sure? Thank you

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Wonder if PSS has a record of your shaft seal? If not, this thread describes one boater's method to measure the stern tube diameter.

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
I know this is late, but for reference, I have the same year 87 mkII boat and I measured the outside diameter of my stern tube to be 1.6"
PYI (PSS) told me to order:
Part number for standard speed seal for a 1" shaft and 1 1/2" stern tube is 01-100-112. The bellow will stretch up to an 1/8" so you will be good to go there. List price is $310.

Also for reference, the "standard speed seal" does NOT have the vent hose attachment on it. I didn't have one, and they say you don't need it on a sail boat. So, if you don't already have the plumbing for it, you don't need to order the one with the vent hose. They just suggest to "burp" it after a haul out and once in a while when you inspect it.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I would recommend that you get the PSS with vent and hook it to the output of your raw water pump. The reason for this is I replaced one last year and it failed and PSS rep stated that a person should only install a vented type. The unit was replaced and upgraded at no cost.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
PSS with vent and hook it to the output of your raw water pump.
:plus::plus:

But before the high point vent of the raw water loop. My vent is "Pressure to Close", thus when no more water pressure, the Vent opens to break a siphon.
Jim...

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Have used the unvented one for decades. Burp it once when I launch in the Spring. I also had the 1-5/8" stern tube and stretched the 1-1/2" bellows.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My LasDrop instructions said sailboats only need to vent the seal. Only higher speed stinkpots need positive flow.

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS Lake City Marina
Thank you for all of the replies. I contacted catalina yachts and the engineer said that back then the shaft log was hand made so there was a lot of variation in the thickness. I have since checked the thickness with a caliper and got 1.706" so I went with a 1 3/4" bellows.