Prow prang predicament: practical patching protocol, please.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Never approach a dock at a speed faster than you want to hit the dock.
If I took that advice, I'd be sitting in open water just staring at the dock wishing I could somehow teleport in without inertia. The speed I want to be going when I hit the dock is 0.0 kmph.
Once in a while, things get away from you.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
While you're at it, you might consider adding a plate on the vee of the bow. Kind of like the backing plates behind door knobs to prevent break-ins.

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
While you're at it, you might consider adding a plate on the vee of the bow. Kind of like the backing plates behind door knobs to prevent break-ins.
Ron.... Thank you for that. I did actually make myself a cardboard template by wrapping it around the prow. I also have a nice piece of heavy surgical stainless steel that is the right overall dimensions. Then I thought it might look a trifle daft. But, since you suggest the idea and are evidently not daft, I shall put that back on the to-do list. Not having a metal brake I shall have to give some thought to making a neat job of the prow angle.

I suppose I could wrap the prow all the way down below the water line and rename the boat the Admiral Makarov II, the Docking Demon. It would also extend the sailing season, up here in The Frozen North.....

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Fender boards are used when docking against verticals structures like pilings or ladders. They are especially useful where there is wave action or large tidal changes that cause you to move ahead or back along the upright.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 30, 2019
This is a fender board

I made one to protect from an errant boat neighbor that had trouble docking
Thanks for the picture, worth at least 10^3 words. Don't think it would be much use at the prow though, unless coupled to one of those Roman trireme cast iron rams:
1067px-Israeli_National_Maritime_Museum-_Naval_ram-1.jpg

THEN you'd get some respect at the marina! I can just see the superyachts moving over. Trim might be an issue.

Bob

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bob. Is this a casual I think I want to get off, dock or is it your goto everyday marina slip?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
If you can incorporate that ram into the stainless prow-plate then you could have a marketable idea. Great for crowded start lines when beer-can racing.
The fender board idea was for the "\/ \/ \/ section of the dock edge" you mentioned in post #11. Fender boards are great for pilings but should work for the corrugated iron just as well.

Jul 30, 2019
Bob. Is this a casual I think I want to get off, dock or is it your goto everyday marina slip?
This is a "we'll never go back there again" dock, John. Luckily we do have some choice, albeit by moving lakes, from Lac Ste. Anne to Lake Wabamun, which is much more a sailor's lake. Longer term we'll be spending more time in BC than AB.

The original post though was really asking for advice about the repair process. The description of dock and incident was just "colour commentary".

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The original post though was really asking for advice about the repair process. The description of dock and incident was just "colour commentary".
And look how much additional awesome information you get here on SBO. We are pleased to give more than anyone dares ask for, unlike other forums about sailing.
:beer:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 30, 2019
And look how much additional awesome information you get here on SBO. We are pleased to give more than anyone dares ask for, unlike other forums about sailing.
:beer:

-Will (Dragonfly)
Will... I have actually been pleasurably surprised, even amazed, by the level of activity, the helpfulness, and the knowledge on this forum. It is indeed something special.

Oct 22, 2014
Two ideas Bob that I have gleaned from my contact with Canadian Sailors...

Bullards are a bear... tame them and come to a stop with:
The AlleTechPlus Grappling Hook
image.png

And keep your motor running, you never know when a wind or current or Canadian WilliWaw or Squamish might show up to spoil your day.

Oct 22, 2014
That was my response as well.

It is just too cool not to have one.
I owe credit to my sailing buddy... @LeslieTroyer for finding it.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I want one of those too, but I would be afraid it would make me do things like wear a cowl and a cape.

But then, think of all the interesting people one could meet.

-Will (Dragonfly)