Prout Catamarans

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina 22 Slidell
Hello Everybody,

I am in the market for a sailboat and I am currently evaluating a number of options. I normally like to start with a smaller mono hull, but when I looked at them and stepped into the cabin, I almost felt like in a shoebox. Thus, I have started looking at cruisers with a minimum LOA of 30, ideally 34 feet, to enjoy also sometime a weekend on the boat without a claustrophobic outbreak. But these boats are certainly in a different price category, than a little daysailer. One of my thoughts, and hopefully, my dream comes true one day, is a also Catamaran. Yes, they are even much pricier than a 34 footer in a good shape from midst 80ies. But it is still within my thoughts, and I found some cats below $80K and some others slightly over $100K that are even from the early 2000. In particular, I was looking online at a couple of Prouts 37 and 38 feet, and a few Geminis 105. In order to form a better opinion of these catamarans, are there any sailors in this forum that would share their experience with a Prout?
BTW: This forum is a wonderful resource for me, especially, during this bitter time of COVID-19, where socializing on a sailboat or in a yacht club is not an option. And there are people out there, they really are fantastic and doing a great job in helping me choosing the right boat, regardless of brand. I am greatly thankful!

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
No experience with a Prout Catamaran. I did spend a week on a Robertson & Caine Moorings 45 footer in the British Virgins. It was a great boat. Talk about space! We were 4 couples, but there was always someplace one could go off and be by themselves. And there was plenty of room for 8 of us in the main cabin, the cockpit, or between the bows.

I found that I do prefer the heeling response of a monohull to the wind, and its ride through the waves. (A good size wave can slam against the bottom of the main cabin on some points of sail.) The other thought is that a catamaran can be expensive to dock. At our marina, you would pay for 2 slips for a cat in the size range of your dreams.

Good luck on your search/ Please keep us updated.

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina 22 Slidell
No experience with a Prout Catamaran. I did spend a week on a Robertson & Caine Moorings 45 footer in the British Virgins. It was a great boat. Talk about space! We were 4 couples, but there was always someplace one could go off and be by themselves. And there was plenty of room for 8 of us in the main cabin, the cockpit, or between the bows.

I found that I do prefer the heeling response of a monohull to the wind, and its ride through the waves. (A good size wave can slam against the bottom of the main cabin on some points of sail.) The other thought is that a catamaran can be expensive to dock. At our marina, you would pay for 2 slips for a cat in the size range of your dreams.

Good luck on your search/ Please keep us updated.
Many thanks, David! Good points. There are always pros and cons between monohull and catamaran. Luckily, I have my own dock and wouldn‘t have to pay slip fees.
Be safe and stay healthy,
K