propeller selection, and shifting

Mar 20, 2021
Hunter Cherubini Punta Gorda
I have a Hunter 30, and it appears to have a RH propeller, but in order to shift to forward I have to push down on the lever, and this seems backward to me.
Is it true that forward would be lifting the lever up? And is it possible the cable was mounted on the wrong side of the transmission lever. Could I get a LH Prop to make it shift proper or is there an advantage to keep a RH prop on the boat for handling purposes?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
What year is your H 30?
The lever does go 'down' to engage forward.
I think you'll have to get accustomed to that arrangement because,
putting a 'left hand' prop on your boat with a right hand turning engine... :yikes:
That is, unless you want to go fast in reverse, I'd advise against it.

• Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I think you could redo your shifter linkage so UP is forward.

Would probably require a longer shift cable and reversing the push/pull bracket.

I went from a single lever side mount shifter to an Edson pedestal with a sideways mounted shifter (aft of the compass) that does up and down. I had a hard time getting used to it..down is forward, up is reverse.

I have a sticker on it that I have to refer to each spring to refresh my memory (And I have owned the boat 6 years).

Greg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I learned to play video games with “invert mouse”, so pushing the mouse forward looks down. My son plays with a conventional configuration so forward is up. Try as I might I can’t retrain my brain when I’m playing. So I feel your pain with not wanting to deal with something that feels backwards, especially controlling a real life thing and in higher tension situations like a high wind docking. Having said that, like others have pointed out changing the prop is not going to have the desired effect.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
There may be a bracket available for your engine to reverse the direction of the shift cable. The Yanmar 2QM15 has one in the parts book under optional equipment. I went from a boat that had the throttle backwards to a boat that had the shifter backwards. In a panic situation, I would get very confused. Finally replaced the throttle/shifter with a single lever, dual function assembly and confused no more.
C4BA7555-7BAF-44E1-882C-57244B2E95E1.jpeg

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
The shifter shown above can be configured to match your requirements in the field.

Jul 20, 2020
Hunter 30 1001 Nyack NY Hudson River
There may be a bracket available for your engine to reverse the direction of the shift cable. The Yanmar 2QM15 has one in the parts book under optional equipment. I went from a boat that had the throttle backwards to a boat that had the shifter backwards. In a panic situation, I would get very confused. Finally replaced the throttle/shifter with a single lever, dual function assembly and confused no more.View attachment 197379
How difficult of an install/upgrade is this to do? My 1981 Hunter 30 has the transmission shifter (up/down) on the left side of pedestal, and the throttle on the right side of pedestal. two hands throttling and shifting in tight situations and no hands on wheel is not ideal to me. Been thinking about this upgrade.
Thanks Gene

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Installing the single lever dual function controller is not difficult. You need to find a suitable place to put it so that you can reach it while steering with the other hand. Mine is behind me and reachable when I am standing at the helm. You will most likely need new cables for the engine throttle and transmission shifter. The device permits any required arrangement of push or pull for each function with a little reassembly in the field. Pulling the lever outward at the pivot permits full span of throttle operation without engaging the transmission. Needed when starting the engine, for example. Pulling the lever back to neutral automatically re-engages the transmission function. Have some tricky maneuvers to get into my marina slip and this device helps. Mine is a Seastar. The only complaint I have is that it is chrome plated and not stainless. Some accountant did this! It corrodes and displays pits in a few months. Constant waxing does not stop that. Otherwise, it works well. When selecting a location, keep in mind that there is a fairly large amount of the mechanism below the deck. The usual installation permits the cables to be connected with the unit out of the mounting hole. After connecting the cables you slip the assembly back into the deck. You will like the ease of operation compared to the pedestal controls.

Jul 20, 2020
Thanks Roy,
The units I saw online from Edson are listed at around $1300 (not sure if they are SS, for the cost I hope so) and would mount on the throttle side of my Edson pedestal.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
I looked at a similar pedestal model from lewmar. One reason that I rejected that model was because I have many wires in the pedestal guards and that shifter would interfere with them. Nevertheless a single lever controller, correctly oriented, is the way to go.

Jul 20, 2020
found the morse mt2 mt3 single lever controllers side mount for pedestal for $50, I would say that is much more reasonable......

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is not "Up and Down" but Forward and Reverse. Perhaps the way the throttle box is attached to the pedestal it feels up and down. In that case I would try to reorient the base.

If you modify the set up be sure to notate the same in your ships log and provide instruction to a future owner.

When boarding a boat and taking the helm it is important to know if the controls have been altered from normal on a specific boat. Marking the boat helm or even providing signage is a valuable step.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Our 1989 Hunter 30G with an Edison pedestal has down for reverse and up for forward. You get used to it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you have the standard Edson Pedestal with the gear shift sitting athwartship and the throttle running fore and aft, reversing the gear shift handle will change the direction for forward and reverse.

If I remember correctly, if the gear shift handle points to the port side, then up is forward and down is reverse. If the handle is turned around so it points to starboard then up is reverse and down it forward.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you have the standard Edson Pedestal with the gear shift sitting athwartship and the throttle running fore and aft, reversing the gear shift handle will change the direction for forward and reverse.

If I remember correctly, if the gear shift handle points to the port side, then up is forward and down is reverse. If the handle is turned around so it points to starboard then up is reverse and down it forward.
As @ggrizzard said, I think pointing to port, down is forward. That is how my Edson pedestal is set up.

Gteg