Propane tank questions

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
My Oceanis 35.1 has the small 5 lb propane tank in a very tight locker. Since it is so small and I'm starting to cook aboard, I'm concerned about running out of propane in the middle of cooking.

I can't seem to find the tank on the Beneteau Spare Parts listing (or their abbreviation is odd). Has anyone found a source for a similar tank? I'm concerned about buying any 5 lb tank only to find out it won't find in the tight locker.

If you have a spare tank, where do you store it aboard? Obviously, it must be outside of the cabin.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Seems Bene didn't think you'd actually use the stove. First time I saw one of those baby tanks in a boat, asked the owner how long it lasted. He said something like "Five years so far, I've never turned it on. That's what they make restaurants for."

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I have a 5 pounder in my boat and use it every time I do an overnight. It is surprising how much it holds.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I don't know the size of the tank on my 331 but it is certainly smaller than the typical home barbeque tank. To handle running out of gas unexpectedly, I carry a 1-lb cannister in the propane locker and an adapter that would let me connect it to the boat's propane system instead of the main. Luckily, the 331 has room for 2 tanks, so I can safely carry a couple of 1 pounders in the 2nd spot.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Aren't the "(dot) One" boats supposed to be racers?
No. The original models (35, 38, 42) had a fore-and-aft galley on the starboard side. This was not popular. The follow on series (35.1, 38.1, 42.1) have as base a L-shaped galley to port, though the fore-and-aft galley is still an option. The fore-and-aft galley makes the sitting arrangement odd, among other issues.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Incidentally, you might want to start measuring your gas consumption. We cruise for 3 weeks per year and spend most summer weekends on the boat, and use the range every day. I don't think I use a full 11 lb. bottle of gas per year. You may be surprised at how long 5 lb. lasts.

I bought a digital fish scale on Amazon:

When I bought the new tanks I weighed them empty, and then after filling them, and wrote these values on the tanks with a fat Sharpie. For remaining volume weigh then and subtract the tare weight, or use linear interpolation. :)

With the one lb. bottles, just weigh a new one, and assume everything but 1 lb. of propane is tare weight.

If you track the usage you can bring the bottle home to refill when it's getting low.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
For some reason, tanks of that size seem to be hard to find, and when you do find them, they tend to be expensive. The places where I've seen them most often is at a "local" hardware store. I found a replacement for an old tank on our first Beneteau at a local Ace Hardware in Olympia, I also see them regularly at a reasonable price at the Ace where we spend our winters. We spend several weeks a year on board, and a tank lasts more than a year. I have two tanks, so running out is not much of a concern. If you have just one tank, then the one pound camper can and adapter would be a good reserve.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I bough a couple of these for my O’Day 322. Lp lockers are small. PO was using 1 pound throw away bottles...

these are small, but having a full spare means I don’t worry about it too much.

Greg

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
To handle running out of gas unexpectedly, I carry a 1-lb cannister in the propane locker and an adapter that would let me connect it to the boat's propane system instead of the main. Luckily, the 331 has room for 2 tanks, so I can safely carry a couple of 1 pounders in the 2nd spot.
My Hunter 33 has a similar set up with space for 2 - 5 lb tanks. For the 1st few years, we only had a single tank and used the empty space for 1 lb bottles. The 1 pounders were primarily for the grill but with an adapter served as a backup for the tank as you do. A couple of years ago I came across this article, moved the bottles out of the propane locker and bought a 2nd 5 lb tank.
STORING SMALL PROPANE BOTTLES

Propane Storage Hunter e33

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
My Oceanis 35.1 has the small 5 lb propane tank in a very tight locker. Since it is so small and I'm starting to cook aboard, I'm concerned about running out of propane in the middle of cooking.

I can't seem to find the tank on the Beneteau Spare Parts listing (or their abbreviation is odd). Has anyone found a source for a similar tank? I'm concerned about buying any 5 lb tank only to find out it won't find in the tight locker.

If you have a spare tank, where do you store it aboard? Obviously, it must be outside of the cabin.
Compare your tank dimensions with this fellow. Pricey little beggar. Lowes offer it at a slightly better price.
.Worthington 4.25 lb Propane Tank

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
We are on our 3rd 20 pounder so far this summer. Runs stove and BBQ. Must admit the Admiral feeds me well.

• Wow
Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
We are on our 3rd 20 pounder so far this summer. Runs stove and BBQ. Must admit the Admiral feeds me well.
BBQs are definitely not the most energy efficient way to cook. My little Magma Kettle grill eats those little one pounders for lunch!

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Seems Bene didn't think you'd actually use the stove. First time I saw one of those baby tanks in a boat, asked the owner how long it lasted. He said something like "Five years so far, I've never turned it on. That's what they make restaurants for."
Seems like they last longer around Lake Michigan... mine has lasted 15 years so far. We have a lot of good restaurants around here. I think the stove still has the original packaging around it too.

• Ha
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Seems like they last longer around Lake Michigan... mine has lasted 15 years so far. We have a lot of good restaurants around here. I think the stove still has the original packaging around it too.
Hard to be in a place with restaurants three times a day. In fact out here it’s hard to find restaurants three times a week!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If worried about running out of Propane while cooking get an adapter to fit a 1lb bottle to your propane intake connector as a backup. I will always disconnect the botle after every use and check for the valve to completely close; no hiss no smell before storing it. Dont' like to store in the anchor locker as the threads and the valve will get rusty and foul up.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
and for
Compare your tank dimensions with this fellow. Pricey little beggar. Lowes offer it at a slightly better price.
.Worthington 4.25 lb Propane Tank
i WONDER IF THE FIBERGLASS MOLDING FOR THE TANKS CAN BE CHANGED TO GET A 10ER IN THERE? Maybe check the part site?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The B Syselios site has the 10 Manchester( ?) tank for 290.oo. You can also get the molding and lid from the B323 section. Maybe it would fit you stbr aft locker?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have 2 10 lb tanks with force 10 oven/stove. Wife cooks every night (been living on boat this summer) stove/oven and coffee maybe breakfast in morning. I am on week 6 on one tank.... they last.

Greg