propane tank holder

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
hey everyone, starting to thaw out from the winter, or at least I wish we were...
just planning some work on the boat and I started thinking about mounting a 20# propane tank on the transom but not sure how.
I could use a 1# tank and make a pic holder, but I will need propane for both the Bbq and my Lehr 5hp propane outboard, and using 1# tanks will get expensive real quick.
I saw a commercially made one at my local chandlery but at close to 200$ I'm wondering if you have a better suggestion for me.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
How professional do you want it to look? The stromburg that sf sail posted above looks a lot like a simple bracket and a large hose clamp. They sell large hose clamps in the plumbing section of Lowes and Home Depot... You might need to thred a few together to get all the way around a tank and then you need to figure out how to make a bottom "lip" to sit it on. I can think of several ways to do that but they would all look homemade. Here is an example of an anchor mount I attached to my stern rail using a similar strategy. You would need a really large pipe to make this work but maybe a PVC bucket with the upper lip cut off would work. Or you could attach an L-bracket to your stern rail to sit the tank on and hose clamp the tank higher up. I'm also imagining you would want to get a hose clamp with a thumb screw so you don't have to go fishing for a screw driver every time you changed out the tank.
IMG_1582.JPG
Stern Anchor.jpg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Another option is to install a Trident propane locker, which can be supplied with a solenoid valve and separate switch. I have a double locker with solenoid valve and separate switch on the sundeck of my power boat.

1614777511810.png

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
How about getting a 10# tank. Half the size, half the hassle mounting.

• Helpful

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Fred
I have 2 holders that clamp onto a tank and hold the tank to the Stern Pulpit. The tank is held to the fitting with rubber straps.

You are welcome to them you cover the shipping costs.

PM me. Here is a picture of one of them. One is in black and the other is white.
PP Tank holder.jpg

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
thank you Jssailem, very nice of you but unfortunately I don't have a pulpit
I really need to have something attached to the transom

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I went with an 11# composite tank. Pretty expensive, but I figure I’ll get 4 or 5 hours of cursing with my Mercury 5 hp motor, and maybe some cooking. I just leave the tank in the cockpit under the tiller.

don’t care for it too much on the cockpit floor, but it does free up the fuel locker for other things.

REI sells something they call a propane growler. I th8nk it’s a refillable 5# tank.

ive seen pictures of 20# propane tanks bungeed to the transom . . looks sketchy.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
The old motor gave me many hours of cursing.
new one is pretty good so far.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
REI sells something they call a propane growler. I th8nk it’s a refillable 5# tank.
I bought a pair if these 5# tanks when I bought my boat. PO had 1# canisters all over the boat :facepalm:

My locker won’t hold a 20# tank, but I can get two of these in the locker. Keeps me from running out without a spare.

Greg