Propane heater

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
You do not need to have a diesel powered boat to have a diesel heater. You can feed the heater with a small day-tank. They use very little fuel so a 5 gallon tank would last a long time and can be refilled anywhere.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
You could go with a all propane boat, outboard, cooktop and Bbq. This will eliminate multiple fuels needed and space taken. I bought a propane OB for my dinghy that uses the same green bottles as my bbq. I’ll take propane storage in the boat over gasoline cans any day.
I've been thinking about that. I didn't even know propane outboards existed until a few months ago when I went to my local Tohatsu dealer to by something for my current boat. If the boat I end up buying already has a propane stove or other propane devices I might go that route. I need to do some research into how much propane I'd have to carry, and what the options are for carrying it on the particular boat I end up with. But the idea certainly has some appeal.

I'm not overly concerned about the CO issue. I use a propane camp stove and propane catalytic heater on my current boat and, of course, I have CO alarms. I'm confident I can put together an adequately safe system on the new boat.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Feb of 18 @jssailem and @Ward H went sailing with me on a winter cruise.. much colder than expected. The Planar was belting out heat for a solid week no problems, nice and warm.
I can attest to that and was very surprised that Mahalo even featured a heated toilet seat:biggrin:.
@LeslieTroyer ran a hot air duck into the head with the discharge pointing towards the toilet. Warmed up the seat nicely!:clap:
Les was really planning ahead :)laugh:) when he installed that heater.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I can attest to that and was very surprised that Mahalo even featured a heated toilet seat:biggrin:.
@LeslieTroyer ran a hot air duck into the head with the discharge pointing towards the toilet. Warmed up the seat nicely!:clap:
Les was really planning ahead :)laugh:) when he installed that heater.
Heated toilet seat is one of the first considerations of most forced air heat installations in the PNW. Otherwise you freeze your A$$ off! :eek: Mine is on its own thermostat and I keep the head at 80º at night. :dancing::dancing::dancing:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is a bit shocking to sit down on that warm of a seat.

It is like do your business, but do you really want to leave? Do you think the rest of the crew is waiting? Maybe for just a couple more minutes.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I know you were thinking more boat practical but it is the season and out of the box thinking is a consideration.
This electric baby might be just the thing while in a marina.
Advertised as capable of heating a 1000 square foot space.
It gives an artificial moving flame image for ambiance.
And it has a lovely seasonal look to it.
IMG_1014.jpg

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I know you were thinking more boat practical but it is the season and out of the box thinking is a consideration.
This electric baby might be just the thing while in a marina.
Advertised as capable of heating a 1000 square foot space.
It gives an artificial moving flame image for ambiance.
And it has a lovely seasonal look to it.
View attachment 187457
You got room for that on your boat John? You must have more room than me.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We were at a slip years ago next to the windjammers in Camden, Maine. At 0400 I could smell pine and oak smoke and then fresh bread. Onboard was a large wood cook stove warming the cabin and the smell of bacon frying with coffee roasting was unbearable. I had to chew on an old sock while I pumped the alcohol stove on our Catalina. What memories.