Project c22.

Aug 10, 2020
611
Catalina, Hunter C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Keel is removed. Pin is in sad shape. Hole is still the right size in the middle.

The plan is to built up the hole with weld, by welding around the pin. Steel doesn't stick to bronze, so this should work. I'm cutting a new pin out of a stainless propeller shaft I've got laying around. While it's out, obviously it will be cleaned up, faired and painted.
 

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
4,693
Catalina 30 MKIII Chicago
Keel is removed. Pin is in sad shape. Hole is still the right size in the middle.

The plan is to built up the hole with weld, by welding around the pin. Steel doesn't stick to bronze, so this should work. I'm cutting a new pin out of a stainless propeller shaft I've got laying around. While it's out, obviously it will be cleaned up, faired and painted.
So the pin will stay the same size?
 
Aug 10, 2020
611
Catalina, Hunter C25 3559 Rocky Mount
So the pin will stay the same size?
Pin will remain 1", but stainless. I will build up the wear on the keel with weld, using the old bronze pin as a slug to weld up to.

This leaves the option open to drill and install a bushing if I fail.
 
Last edited: