problems with cracks on Hunter 216

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
While it's a year old thread, I'll just add my experience with ACP Hunters. Every one I've looked at in the past ten years has had cracks. Out of dozens that I looked at, all have had small 2-3" cracks and up to 3-4 foot long cracks! While the new company may choose to not do anything, it's still possible for them to make this right by offering a discounted hull replacement program. Marlow bought a bankrupt company AND it's designs and along with that they OWN the problem.....Maybe not in a legal sense but certainly as an image problem.

A reasonable person doesn't expect a lifetime warranty but they will be loyal to a lifetime of quality service at a fair price. Marlow-Hunter could win back thousands of customers by offering replacement hulls on the 146, 170, 216 and 212 boats if the price were fair.

BTW, I only hike-out when I'm racing or trying to prevent a capsize or broach!!!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I would love to see lifetime warranties on everything but that is not going to happen unless you pay for them. As for Marlow-Hunter and the other mfgs., they are not offering that at all and with the times, the vogue is sailing is not as huge as it once was. Sailboat mfgs. are still struggleing which is another reason.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Dave, when I wrote them asking for a price on a new 18' fiberglass hull, I never even got a reply. I wasn't asking for a warranty or even a discount just a price. Perhaps I should approach a Hunter/Marlow dealer? It would seem like a great PR program if they had a simple order process for the new hulls.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Do not expect much of a response but the 18 and 170 are different hulls to begin with and you are not going to get anywhere with Marlow-Hunter on that anyway. Small boats is not their cup of tea anymore.