Primer for steel keel

Feb 16, 2016
Beneteau First 27.7 Istanbul
Hi All,

I have a Beneteau First 28.7. I am getting ready for bottom paint. The question involves the keel. The paint I will use is Micron CSC. in USA. What is the European equivalent ?
Found out the keel is steel. What is the recommended primer for steel when is all stripped to bare metal. what primer and paint for the Yanmar sail drive?
Would greatly appreciate advice
Thx
Utkan

Jun 1, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Palm Beach
I think the Beneteau keels are cast iron--not steel. When our Oceanis 45 was first launched we covered the entire bottom (including the keel) and epoxy barrier coat. Then the primer, and then the bottom paint.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you indeed have a First 27.7 it has a lead bulb and a laminated strut.

Micron is great for the whole deal.

If you even want to sell it call me. Really.

Feb 16, 2016
If you indeed have a First 27.7 it has a lead bulb and a laminated strut.

Micron is great for the whole deal.

If you even want to sell it call me. Really.

Thanks for quick reply. Yes it is a First 27.7 /2005 ( sorry for the typo earlier ) with fixed keel. The keel is cast iron. Wondering what specific primer would be appropriate for Micron. for Yanmar sail drive as well.
BTW. Thanks for liking the boat . She is fun to sail. Currently laying in the aegean near Izmir. Even if I was willing to sell, could not get to you.

Feb 16, 2016
I think the Beneteau keels are cast iron--not steel. When our Oceanis 45 was first launched we covered the entire bottom (including the keel) and epoxy barrier coat. Then the primer, and then the bottom paint.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes the keel is cast iron and the bulb is lead. We are not considering epoxy coat so I am mainly concerned the specific type of a primer directly applied to stripped keel. The boat is in the Aegean. Micron is available . Any advice along that line ?

Feb 16, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes the keel is cast iron and the bulb is lead. We are not considering epoxy coat so I am mainly concerned the specific type of a primer directly applied to stripped keel. The boat is in the Aegean. Micron is available . Any advice along that line ?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You need to use an epoxy primer and the correct preparation on the iron. Interlux yacht paints has some good technical advice on their web site.