Pressurewasher PSI?

jhogle

Sep 16, 2016
Catalina 22 Topeka
I am looking to get a pressure washer for cleaning the deck of my boat. I really don't know much about them. What PSI should I look for in order to get things clean, but not rip the deck off the boat? :D

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I have cleaned both hulls and decks of other boats with rental pressure washers (which I believe deliver up to 3,500 PSI) without damage. The ones you can buy cheap from Home Depot / Lowe's normally are under 2,800 PSI. On small trailered boats like yours, I've run them through the self-wash on the way home from the lake and washed the whole thing for five bucks in quarters. I've never pulled up gelcoat or non-skid. Be cautious to not get too close to areas with any joints that are not hard fiberglass - so do a quick inspection that you don't have damaged / cracked gelcoat and know where your fittings are. Do not blast your portlights (particularly the rubber seals) or the through-deck mounts like your chainplates or cleats. If you don't blast with a needle tip from 1 inch away, you should be fine. A shot of boat or car wash soap splashed over the deck and allowed to soak the surface for 3 - 5 minutes helps loosen things before you start. That will remove all the wax also, so you're ready to start refinishing - Checkout Mainsail's article https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/tips-for-a-great-buff-wax.117266/

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Have always used low pressure versions on a boat so as to obviate the cautions mentioned above.
Any low pressure washer will work on most cleanup jobs and if it doesn't, there are lots of chemical options which won't destroy the boat. All it takes is one "oooooooops" with a high pressure washer to ruin your day.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
We used 3000 psi to clean the winter bubblers- lotsa pressure. A guy on each side of my slip had electrics, one a borrowed 1500. The other guy bought at Lowes for 129$, 1600 psi. It did a great job of cleaning his hull that looked like a compounding job for sure. The tool store at the outlet malls have Ryobi for 99 and 130 I recall.

May 11, 2014
Catalina 310 Lake Texoma
An electric 1,600 psi unit works great and even better if you wet the surface and then add a little diluted "Roll Off" with a brush prior to using the pressure washer.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
A cheap box store washer will do the job plenty well. I have a little one from Lowe's that does 2300psi at 2.3 gallons per minute. FYI most car wash systems produce about 1500 at around 5-7 gallons per minute, so you're plenty safe there. The system I use on my truck does about 3500psi at 5 gallons a minute, I use it on the boat some but I stay a good distance away with a 35 degree tip...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have had an Excello (Devilbiss) 2500psi washer with a 6.5 Honda engine . It has a Cat pump that delivers approximately 3.5 gal/min. Its powerful enough, but its not going to rip thru your skin, like some of the high powered washers. Purchased from Home Depot at least 15 years ago; one of the best purchases I have made. It is very versatile and I use it around the house & boat. It does a great job on the boat; however, you just need to be careful and not place the jet too close to the deck and avoid use around the hatches, portlights, and thru deck fittings. The only negative about it is that it is aggravating to load it into my SUV and unload at the marina, wheel it down the dock and then have to bring it home. Soooo....my dock neighbor bought a Ryobi electric washer that is rated at 1600 psi; he told me it was great. Small enough to keep in the dock box without transporting back and forth. I should have tried his before purchasing one about two months ago. I don't like it at all. The jet footprint is too small and when switching to a larger jet, there is insufficient pressure. Consequently it takes too long to clean the deck and it leaves streaks. Better outcome and quicker using a manual deck brush. Beware of the pressure ratings because the size of the jet orfice is a major determinant in the pressure output at the nozzle. The electric washer may be sufficient for a smaller boat, but inadequate for a larger boat. There are other electric washers that sell for several hundred dollars with higher pressure ratings and flow rates; however, the $100 variety doesn't cut it.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Got this one at Costco a couple of years ago. Absolutely love it, haven't had a lick of trouble with it. https://www.costco.com/PowerStroke-...-Electric-Start-Engine.product.100338562.html

It does a great job on the boat. Really gets the grime out of the non skid that a scrub brush wouldn't. Also use it at haul out to blast away a season's worth of marine growth. Works well on my concrete patio and stucco house. Just used it today to get my topsides spotless so I could put a fresh application of Poli-glow on.

jhogle

Sep 16, 2016
Catalina 22 Topeka
Good deal. Seems like a basic low pressure washer will work just fine. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
there is nothing on the boat that needs more than around 1000psi to clean it off.... too much pressure will damage the lines and canvas products, and has the potential to blow out the bedding compound of some of the mounted hardware. any of the mold, mildew, moss or black gunk that is growing is easily removed after wetting it and letting it soak for 20-30 minutes, and then a few hundred psi will easily remove it.... the small $79-100 dollar pressure washers are great for boat washing and are usually small enough, depending on the brand, to be stowed onboard.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
there is nothing on the boat that needs more than around 1000psi to clean it off.... too much pressure will damage the lines and canvas products, and has the potential to blow out the bedding compound of some of the mounted hardware. any of the mold, mildew, moss or black gunk that is growing is easily removed after wetting it and letting it soak for 20-30 minutes, and then a few hundred psi will easily remove it.... the small $79-100 dollar pressure washers are great for boat washing and are usually small enough, depending on the brand, to be stowed onboard.
+1 An acquaintance of mine took the decals off his RV and destroyed a whole bunch of the waterproofing with a pressure washer.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
image.jpg
After sitting under a walnut tree for a few months, all the soaking and scouring powder in the world didn't touch this. My 3100 psi power washer with a 25 tip, followed by a Clorox bath did. The 40 tip is great for lighter cleaning, but the 0 tip can strip paint, decals and skin. BTW, my electric 1200psi machine would only do it on a needle point stream, and that's like cleaning your deck with a pencil eraser.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Check your local Pawn shops. I got a commercial 4000Psi Cat Pump with a 13 HP Honda for $200 cash several years back.
You can adjust the PSI down from the max, but a 2000psi pump will never do 3500 or 4000 psi.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
View attachment 135539

BTW, my electric 1200psi machine would only do it on a needle point stream, and that's like cleaning your deck with a pencil eraser.
Well said; I have the same opinion about the small electric washers. When you're using a higher pressure machine, you've got to use common sense. Use a tip with a larger orfice to step down the pressure and increase the surface are to be cleaned. Keep the jet at a safe distance from the deck. Avoid using it on decals, canvas, lines, and fittings that are bedded thru the deck. Works great!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The mistake folks make with cleaners is using the wrong one, and then not letting it soak. Since you are going to rip the wax off anyway, forget the boat soap. Use a borax/TPS/baking soda blend, and then let it soak for 10 minutes. The borax will kill the black algae, and a brush will take it off easily. Even if you are going to P wash, consider giving it a soak first in the bad areas. Cleaners take time to break the bond.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
So much is discussed using power washers but as a former dealer with multiple locations, high pressure is not good for any boat either hull or deck. I have seen the end results with gel coat and fiberglass. Look at wood decks using high pressure and what it does and then think about gel coat. Just be cautious is all I am going to say when using.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Got this one at Costco a couple of years ago. Absolutely love it, haven't had a lick of trouble with it. https://www.costco.com/PowerStroke-...-Electric-Start-Engine.product.100338562.html...
I bought the same unit on sale last year for about 50 bucks less. It does a great job, much better than my brothers 2800 PSI unit. My opinion is that those who are afraid of damage are using too narrow of a nozzle. Oddly enough, when I used my brother's pressure washer, there seemed to be the potential for damage, even though it really didn't get the boat clean. With the one from Costco, it worked nicely, extremely fast, but yet didn't seem like it was going to damage anything. The only thing I'm guessing is that the nozzle allowed more water with less force. I think these lower pressure units tend to put out such a fine stream of water, that the cleaning force is like a bunch of small pins. It doesn't clean very well, but will easily damage stuff. A little more water just works much better.
Another comparison was a 1800 PSI electric I had. It did strip the paint off my motorhome. I've not had the problem with the Costco unit, even cleaning in the same area. One caviot is that the motorhome now has ZEP Wet Look floor polish on it, which may be protecting the paint better.

Nov 6, 2014
Yankee Yankee Seahorse 24 Beaver Lake
I have a 3000 psi max gasoline powered washer, but used the 2000 psi setting for taking the old paint off my boat. I used it mainly for removing the old bottom paint.

I tested the newly applied acrylic latex paint and 2000 psi did not phase the acrylic paint from two inches away. The power washer easily removed the old oil based hull paint that had been on the boat for 11 years.

It does not take muuch pressure for general cleaning of a boat. I would recommend about a 1000 to 1200 psi max for general cleaning. The higher pressures are only needed for removing old paint.

My 3000 psi tip would cut right through the old bottom paint down to the barrier coat as well as the paint on the sides, so never use that kind of high pressure for general cleaning.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I have a 3000 psi max gasoline powered washer, but used the 2000 psi setting for taking the old paint off my boat. I used it mainly for removing the old bottom paint.

My 3000 psi tip would cut right through the old bottom paint down to the barrier coat as well as the paint on the sides, so never use that kind of high pressure for general cleaning.
I have a 3100 PSI Honda-powered Simpson washer that won't even TOUCH my bottom paint. Man do I WISH it would. :(

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
You need to use the pressure adjustments as well as the right size tip for the job you are doing. My 4000 psi pump will cut concrete with a 0° tip, but if I use a wider tip, and lower the pump pressure, I can clean my porch without removing the paint. My son uses it every other week with a foam tip to wash the cars.