Preparing for a new SSB install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Anyone out here installed a Icom 802 on a Hunter 356 or 36? I will be purchasing the Icom kit from Gary at Dock side radio this April.. I have the 356 without a backstay and the 36 is it's close brother as far as boat layout. My port side transom has solar panels and wind generator installed so I need (probably) things to the starboard side.

I'm interested on where you installed the antenna tuner, what did you use for an antenna, RF ground. Did you install a dyna plate or use something like the KISS system.

HELP....

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
I can't speak about your specific model, but I can talk about a couple of your questions.

I've used the foil to a thru hull and the KISS for getting my ground. Both have worked very well and my signal seems to be a good as those who were using a dynaplate. I'd try one of those methods before I would put another hole in my hull. BTW, I'm a big fan of the KISS. It is a little cleaner than the copper foil and easier to install. Takes just a few minutes and you're done.

The tuner should be placed as close to the antenna as possible. On my old boat, a Hunter 40.5, this meant installiing the tuner in one of the aft lazerettes, just a few feet below the backstay antenna. On the new boat, I was able to tuck it behind a panel in the aft lazerette.

And the antenna, I've mostly seen the later model Hunters with no backstay are using a whip antenna. Because the whips are 23 or 24 feet long, depending on the brand, I've also seen most take the whip down when not in use. Whatever you use, be sure to keep the antenna away from your GPS antenna. GPS antennas usually have the receiver built into the antenna unit. The 150 watts of power can cause your GPS signal to drop, and can overwhelm the receiver and cause premature failure. The minimum seperation between your SSB antenna and your GPS antenna is four feet.

Welcome to the air and let us know how it goes!

Karl

Mar 21, 2004
Karl,
The KISS goes along with my feelings for an install. I keep hearing pro and cons on which way to go. Think I'll try it out and will have plenty of time to test it before heading to the Bahamas. The other thing is using the antenna in a rope and using the topping lift to raise it when needed. http://www.ropeantenna.com/

I will probably install the AT140 in the starboard lazerette and bring the antenna out and up the davits to the topping lift.

Should be fun...

Thanks

Mar 12, 2008
I've heard good things about the Ropeantenna but I've not seen one in use. Let us know how it turns out as I'm alway interested in reviews of different products. Good luck with the install. Once that is done, we'll have to start nudging you to get your ham general license if you don't already have one. You'll need it anyway if you install a modem and want to run Airmail for your email.

Mar 21, 2004
Update

Still have not purchased the Icom setup yet. Been having many phone calls with other sailors on the actual installation of the transceiver location. Been trying to get information on the separation cable between the control head and transceiver. Icom only has a 16ft cable which is not long enough for some spots that I thought the radio should be located. Hopefully, I'll have everything by the end of April...

Mar 12, 2008
Looks like the 16 foot cable is all there is. You could call Gary to see if he has an extension, but I don't think there is one out there. Most people I know install the transceiver in a cabinet close by or inside a cabin settee. On my old boat (Hunter 40.5) I installed the tranceiver inside the Nav seat.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Mar 21, 2004
update time

Took my ham test last Saturday and passed the Technical by missing 2 questions. They then said "Hey you must know your stuff, here is the Extra". You have got to be kidding me. I only got 17 of the 50 right.

Didn't know you could bounce HF off of meteor showers?

Anyway, the Icon hardware arrived yesterday and after I get the bottom painted I will start the install...

Looked at the separation cable and it is a standard 8 pin din for gaming and tv signals. I bet it could be extended another 10ft.

Jim

Mar 12, 2008
Congrats on the Tech and good luck on the install. Let us know how it goes!

Mar 21, 2004
got my license today. Its official

KK4IVF

Now all I have to do is get this stuff installed.....

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
Took my ham test last Saturday and passed the Technical by missing 2 questions. They then said "Hey you must know your stuff, here is the Extra". You have got to be kidding me. I only got 17 of the 50 right.

Didn't know you could bounce HF off of meteor showers?

Anyway, the Icon hardware arrived yesterday and after I get the bottom painted I will start the install...

Looked at the separation cable and it is a standard 8 pin din for gaming and tv signals. I bet it could be extended another 10ft.

Jim
Go to a Computer store and get the din cable, they have them up to 50ft. good luck with the install.

Mar 21, 2004
Progress

Yesterday, I finally got the system powered up with a few minor problems. Don't have an antenna yet, should have it in a couple of weeks. But it was making noise.
At first, I couldn't get Lat-Long info from the GPS. Called Gary at Docksideradio, he laughed and stated that I didn't RTFM! WHAT! Laughed some more and pointed me to page 43 and the last FAQ. Right there it stated the problem and the GPS should be putting out GGA sentence. Well Damn. I told him it was a cheap trick putting that as the last question. More laughter.... It worked.

Pictures shows where the transceiver, cables to the at-140. AT-140 is in a dry locker under my bed. It was lots of finger,arm, leg scrapes getting the cables from the transceiver to the at-140. Late in the afternoon, I stated drilling the hole for the DSC antenna connector on the starboard coaming under the seat . Into the fiberglass and hit a backing plate - OH SHIT. Committed and had to keep drilling. DSC cable and antenna installed. One more hole to drill for the antenna lead and will be finished.

AH boats....

Attachments

Mar 12, 2008
Congrats on getting the hard part done. Just got to get that antenna up, get your general license and get on the air. Don't forget that ICOM ships the 802 with the ham bands locked. The unlock sequence is in Gary's instructions, but it is just hold the TX, Mode and #2 button, I think. Next will be the Pactor modem, which will be a snap compared to this.

What was the setting chage that was in the FAQ? I was going to look it up, but couldn't find my book that I got from Gary.

Mar 21, 2004
Garmin problem

Wind, it was a settting on the Garmin. it wasn't putting out GGA over the nmea interface. Once that was done it was done....

i'm not putting a pactor modem on, don't think I need it. we come to close to wifi on a weekly basis to worry about.

Mar 12, 2008
There goes my good talk about how to set up Airmail2000! Good luck with the rest of the install.

Mar 21, 2004
Install completed

Well, after exploring the bowels of my boat, the installation is complete.

What is installed?
Icom 802 with AT140
Kiss-SSB counterpoise - http://www.kiss-ssb.com/
rope antenna - http://www.ropeantenna.com/

Was sitting on the hard today and tried a few freqs trying to find someone to talk to. Raised a station in Tampa, Delaware and Ontario. They all said I had good signal but have more investigation to do. Can't wait until I get back into the water, hopefully the week of June 19th. This might work!!!

Mar 12, 2008
Glad it all came together for you. I should be interesting to see how well it works when you finally splash.

Mar 21, 2004
Unbelievable

Even up on the hard, I'm reaching waaaayyyy out there.

Was on the marine net today, 14.3Mhz and was taking to a ham in Wisconsin. He said I was coming in loud and clear. Also made contact with a site in Alauchua, FL and said the same thing. This rig is working great and I'm not in the water yet....

Mar 12, 2008
Never know who is out there. I tried to reach some friends in the South Pacific last weekend, and ended up talking to a ham in Spain. Will be interesting to see if there is a big change when you hit the water.

Mar 21, 2004
Passed my General license exam this morning, only missed two questions. So they gave me the Extra, got 19 of 50 correct. Never studied for the extra. That's it I'm done with test.....:)

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
Passed my General license exam this morning, only missed two questions. So they gave me the Extra, got 19 of 50 correct. Never studied for the extra. That's it I'm done with test.....:)
Congratulations on the upgrade Jim. If you're on the fence about whether you'll want/need the Pactor TNC, go to winlink.org and download Winmor. Get yourself a soundcard interface to connect your radio to a computer and try email over HF using Winmor. I've been poking around with for about a month or so and am impressed with the performance and ease of use. It's basically free and if you need better performance ( speed), then you can justify the Pactor TNC. If you aren't familiar, the soundcard interface will open up many fun "digital" modes on HF.

Status
Not open for further replies.