Practical Sailor magazine seeks Hunter owner input/photos

Mar 11, 2016
Hi Hunter owners
Practical Sailor magazine is working to update its archived reviews of the Hunter 27 (1975-1984 models) and Hunter 30 (1974-1983 models), and we're looking for boat owners who would like to assist by submitting high-resolution photos (1 MB, 300 dpi or larger) and comments on the boats. The updated reviews and photos will run in an upcoming issue.

Some examples of photos that would be useful include:
- sailing shots (boat under way, from any angle);
- anchor shots (preferably beam or bow quarter);
- deck shots (long shots showing as much of deck bow to stern and vice versa, bow looking aft, stern looking forward);
- interior (galley, main saloon looking aft from v-berth, main saloon looking forward from companionway, head, engine access)
- deck details (bow roller, anchor locker, hatches, cleats, chain plates, fairleads, hatches, etc.)
- construction details (hauled out photo showing keel, etc., hull-deck joint - anchor locker often offers good view, through-hulls).

For any photos submitted for publication, we ask that the owners include the boat type, year built, name, homeport, and a photo credit for the photographer; for the Hunter 27, please also specify whether it's the inboard or outboard model. The photos need to be high resolution, that’s 300 dpi or 1 MB file size, or larger. We’ll gladly send PDFs and hard copies of the published review to anyone whose photo(s) run in the magazine.

Also, if you have any pertinent comments, we'd like to hear them. Some key points we’re interested in getting more owner feedback on include: the boat’s performance (under sail and power), engine access, construction quality, deck layout, interior layout, systems functions, age-related maintenance issues, pros/cons, and any pet peeves or praises particular to the boat.

All photos and comments can be submitted to akey@belvoir.com.

We appreciate your taking the time to help us update the review, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Ann C. Key
Managing Editor, Practical Sailor
akey@belvoir.com
6202 Clark Center Ave.
Sarasota, FL 34238
(w) 941-306-2235 / (c) 941-465-6229
www.practical-sailor.com

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2016
Justin: Thanks! I checked out the link (and photo gallery, comments, etc), but we can't publish any photos without permission, so if any H30 (1974-83) or H27 owners could send us pics, that would great! Thanks in advance to all who can help! Cheers! ~Ann

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I have been out of the industry for a long time but back then, the manufacturers offered to have Practical Sailor come and visit the factories to show them how the boats were made but instead got poor reviews by Practical Sailor. It will be interesting if many will help you from that era in your search for information and photos.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
I remember reading a review of a Hunter sailboat in Practical Sailor some time ago. Their opinion was that the only reason sailors bought any Hunter boat was because they were cheap. That removed any credibility from the organization for me.
Crazy Dave confirms the prejudice I read.
Bob

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I did read in PS that Catalinas and Hunters were "entry level" boats. I'm not sure I can dispute that, the 30T is my first large boat. . They did praise my keel, vs the fin or long shoal, and gave me confidence it was the right choice for me. I have used their advice on products and maintenance tips. I may be able to provide photos this season. We have an H27 in the club.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I give PS credit for at least attempting to write unbiased reviews. All the other major mags count on advertising, and there is a clear motivation to not to piss off the manufactures who they rely on for revenue. Indeed, you often see an advert for a boat directly across from its review. Gee, what a coincidence. Have you ever seen a 'bad' boat review in another major mag? I personally know some of the better known reviewers for SAIL mag and have heard them privately slag a boat that gave a 'good' review to in print. At the end of the day its one person's opinion. PS keeps the manufacturers at arm's length and I respect that.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
PS asked us (the C34 International Association) for input when they did an update to their first and 15 year old used C34 boat review. The C34 was first sold in 1986 and ended production in around 2008. We reviewed their first draft and gave them corrections and editorial input. While not all of our comments made it to the final copy, I admire them for asking and making it a two way street. Who else to ask but the owners?

I give PS credit for at least attempting to write unbiased reviews.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
PS asked us (the C34 International Association) for input when they did an update to their first and 15 year old used C34 boat review. The C34 was first sold in 1986 and ended production in around 2008. We reviewed their first draft and gave them corrections and editorial input. While not all of our comments made it to the final copy, I admire them for asking and making it a two way street. Who else to ask but the owners?

I give PS credit for at least attempting to write unbiased reviews.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau and others had offered PS the opportunity to inspect their facilities as to manufacturing and they never came. Personally, I offered them to come to an event that was demonstrating all the water ballast sailboats built at the time, I will not even mention their unkind response. It also amazed me when one mfg. was rated over the others which blew many of our minds. Given the negativity over the years, I would be careful sharing any information. There is a way to handle things but at times there are not and the not was more than there is a way. So to be blunt, I would be extremely cautious.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
...the manufacturers offered to have Practical Sailor come and visit the factories to show them how the boats were made but instead got poor reviews by Practical Sailor.

Friends, this is an interesting thread. I have thought about it for a few days before responding. First I echo what some of you have already said, Practical Sailor would NEVER accept an invitation from a manufacturer or a dealer as that would be a conflict of interest with their basic premise of being unbiased, independent and un-sponsored. The fact that their reviews may have been poor only make them brutally honest " just like us ". Have you read some of our comments? The thing is we treat our boats just like wives and girlfriends; we can bash 'em but you can't. We love them with all their faults.

Face it; if you "bought" a HUNTER you did not "get" a HINCKLEY, neither did you have to pay for one. One thing the "more kindly" of the Hunter bashers like to say is " you can do better ". Really?? I don't think so. The Hunter designs are solid, always have been. Hunter marines execution, not always so. Still, Hunter works within the constraint of producing boats affordable to the masses. This is why there are so many of them and so many of you sailing them. Hey, pony up the money and they would've built you a Hunter's Child also. I spend hours researching boats and know which I would have if money were no object; but it is. Know why I'm a sailor? Is it because of my love for the nautical, the fresh breeze on my cheek, the quiet lapping at the hull while anchored, or the buck and roar of a hard charge to weather. Nope, it's because someone made a boat I can afford to own. Otherwise I would just be an armchair enthusiast.

So Guys, tell them about you girl. Tell them why you love her. It's you they want to hear from. Heck, they can come here and read the archives anyway. Regardless of any personal feelings they may have had, perhaps they've come to the understanding that " 10,0000 Hunter owners can't all be wrong".