Potential new Hunter owner

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
I would not characterize the 23 as a trailer sailor. The mast is heavy enough that I would only want to use it when you can keep it in the water, or at least only have to step/unstep a limited number of times per season. Also it is a rather tall mast, so when you slide it back along the deck to fix the pin into the Tabernacle, more of its weight is aft of the crutch before it is positioned over the Tabernacle. You have to hold the base down against this leverage in order to pin it - I consider that at least a 2 person job.
[Edit: Serves me right to reply before catching up with all the postings. Walking away seems like the right call.]

Fully agree. Once per season is doable, with 2 people: one to walk the mast up from the cockpit area (I built a ramp of 2-by-I-can't remember's [probably a pair of 2x10's] to walk on, and the 2nd person holding on to a halyard on the ground forward of the boat to help with the weight. Also, there is no "the crutch" as far as I recall. I think it's all whatever the owner built and installed themselves. As I said above, it was a puckering experience. There are plans out there for a decent mast raising system, which would be well worth looking into. It would be a very reasonable thing for 2 healthy guys if you had a rig to keep the mast from going off to one side. But IMHO, you need to keep this boat in a slip, or you'll end up not using it very much.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have seen a couple nice H26 examples and they obviously have much greater interior volume than the H23. My tow vehicle is limited to 5,000 pounds, and from what I can tell an empty H26 is beyond that on the trailer. Maybe time to get back into a pickup…
You are in luck:)
The H26 at full ballast only displaced 4,600.

at the launch ramp you dump 2500# and you are pulling 2100 plus the trailer

Jan 19, 2010
Wow. You could not pay me to take that boat and I love working on boats:banghead:

Jul 11, 2023
Hunter 23 Hueston Woods
You are in luck:)
The H26 at full ballast only displaced 4,600.

at the launch ramp you dump 2500# and you are pulling 2100 plus the trailer
Hmm...most of what I've seen from folks who supposedly weighed their boats was closer to 6,000 lb all up on the trailer with no ballast. I really think I'll be more comfortable with a truck with low range transfer case rather than my current high performance AWD SUV. Either way, I'm shifting gears to learning/searching the H26!

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I have a H260 and am reluctant to try towing with my Toyota Highlander (5,000 lb rating). I rent a U-Haul pick-up in the spring and fall when I launch and haul out for the winter. I did weigh the boat/trailer when I bought it- the trailer axles were 4,760 lbs with motor on the stern. I did not disconnect to weigh the truck separately, but I think there was at least 500 lbs on the hitch, so figure about 5,300 lbs total weight minimum. No gear other than the sails.

Attachments

Jul 11, 2023
Hunter 23 Hueston Woods
I have a H260 and am reluctant to try towing with my Toyota Highlander (5,000 lb rating). I rent a U-Haul pick-up in the spring and fall when I launch and haul out for the winter. I did weigh the boat/trailer when I bought it- the trailer axles were 4,760 lbs with motor on the stern. I did not disconnect to weigh the truck separately, but I think there was at least 500 lbs on the hitch, so figure about 5,300 lbs total weight minimum. No gear other than the sails.
Thanks for the info. I have pulled at the limit with my Explorer ST, and I didn't really enjoy it. I'm looking at getting a truck first. I'd love to just get a boat and keep it in the water, but circumstances require otherwise.

As for the boat, how do you like it? The H23 I looked at really didn't have an interior I think would be manageable for two adults and two kids overnight except in a pinch. The 26' models look much more "weekend-livable". I've never sailed a water ballasted boat; I'm used to having 5,000 pounds of lead hanging down there. Is it still stable?

Jan 19, 2010
My H26 was very tippy when flat but would stiffen up at about 10 degrees.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Had a 240 previously, and the 260/26 is much more livable, no comparison. Enclosed head and functional galley are big differences. Space for cooler is big enough to hold a decent size 12V fridge. Still does not have full headroom, maybe 5-9 or 5-10, but close. Great for a weekend. The water ballast works fine, plently stable on the inland lake where we are. The table is huge, and people have modified them in various ways, but have kept ours original for now. There's a 260 in Knoxville that's been for sale for a while- might be able to deal on that one: (6) Marketplace - 1999 Hunter 260 | Facebook

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Standing head room on a 26' boat is not a necessity. My Mark 25 (C&C 25 with a fractional rig) had about 5'7" head room for my 6' height. Not really a problem for me. My wife, who is 5'2" could stand up at the stove so cooking was comfortable for her -and many meals were done on the grill in the cockpit. I could chop chop this or that while sitting down. It was a pretty comfortable pocket cruiser which we spent week long cruises on.
We spent much more time in the cockpit than in the cabin.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I have been quite happy for two years with the '98 Hunter 240 I bought instead of a H260 which had issues. I can pull the H240 with my six cylinder Mountaineer. Like the H260 she is tender but stiffens up. Both use water for ballast and have the best self righting rating in the industry. I can, when necessary put the mast up by myself. I have had mine in a slip for the two years that I have owned her. The practical difference between the 24 and the 26 is the enclosed head. I would buy it again. One of the other advantages is the support available on this website, especially Crazy Dave.