Potential Hose problems & emergency tiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Malcolm

While doing a routine check on the engine bay last weekend I noticed a few patches of black rubber dust/particles the engine pan and on the block. Closer inspection showed the black rubber hoses for the heat exchanger in the hot water service were chaffing on one of the injectors and where they pass through the bulk head. I caught the problem in time but there was noticeable damage to the hoses and this could be aproblem if not rectified. Might be worth a look if you have a 310. I also decided to fit the emergency tiller just to see how it fitted. It didn't!!! Another job for next weekend to clean up the top of the rudder post so the emergency tiller tube will fit. I'm sure others have found these and similar potential problems but I just thought I would share them as I would be grateful to hear of other peoples similar issues. regards malcolm

J

Jon W.

Thanks

I will check these items immediately. I wouldn't have noticed any black rubber residue because I get so much off my alternator belt (non-stock), and I keep meaning to see how the emergency steering works, but have not gotten around to it yet. I did change both fuel filters Sunday after I noticed a little less maximum rpm and a slight sluggishness. It was past the recommended interval, but I still think of the boat as fairly new. There was a lot of sediment and a touch of water in the bowl. I'll see this weekend if there is any improvement in performance.

C

Carl

Thanks-2

Hey Malcom; Thanks for the heads up. I'll check my boat this weekend.

F

Frank Gazzano

Plus...

I had the same problem. Also check the hoses that circulate hot water through the water tank. These were worn about 1/2 of the way through the wall section on my 310 after only 8 hours on the Hobbs meter. I had the dealer replace the hoses with slightly longer ones and added a chafe guard to the sharp edge of the bulkhead. I beleive the real solution though is to cut additional clearance in the bulkhead and chamfer the corners with a router.

Status
Not open for further replies.