Possible SmartPlug problem

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Previously in this thread I made an attempt to clarify terminology. Maybe you missed it. But it is confusing…..
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I love irony. Technically speaking, the second”it” in this rant speaks to your attempt to clarify terminology. :kick::eek:

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
I have in the past been tempted to change my boat over to a SmartPlug, but after reading this and a few other threads, I no longer feel the urge. I'm on my 2nd "normal" cord in 18 years or so, and the boat-side male connector is original. Nothing's ever been even warm and no scorch marks. Our boat is plugged in 24/7 when at the slip, and I guess the black spin ring keeps the majority of the rain out.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I have in the past been tempted to change my boat over to a SmartPlug, but after reading this and a few other threads, I no longer feel the urge. I'm on my 2nd "normal" cord in 18 years or so, and the boat-side male connector is original. Nothing's ever been even warm and no scorch marks. Our boat is plugged in 24/7 when at the slip, and I guess the black spin ring keeps the majority of the rain out.
Not replacing a standard shore power cord based on one report of a failure in the absence of a definitive explanation of its failure would not be a mistake I would want to make given the risks. This type of reasoning is not uncommon amongst humans. We humans are very poor judges of risk, it is one of the many cognitive biases we humans share.

Read this article and look at the number of failures, the explanations of why the failures occurred, and the consequences of potential failures and rethink your reasoning. I have no interest in promoting safer electrical connections other than they are safer.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Not replacing a standard shore power cord based on one report of a failure in the absence of a definitive explanation of its failure would not be a mistake I would want to make given the risks. This type of reasoning is not uncommon amongst humans. We humans are very poor judges of risk, it is one of the many cognitive biases we humans share.

Read this article and look at the number of failures, the explanations of why the failures occurred, and the consequences of potential failures and rethink your reasoning. I have no interest in promoting safer electrical connections other than they are safer.

I've read the article before, a few times, as well as several others. I'll give it another look, of course. I think not replacing your existing equipment which is functioning properly over a long period of time is probably the default behavior that most of us follow. Perhaps the reason we've never had a problem is just because we have a very low electrical load (no A/C, only a small [new] fridge that isn't left running). Most days, the AC cord is just running a battery charger.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
The last few fires in the marina were smart plugs. I do not know the details. Over time with my last four boats over the decades and my grandfather’s boat, (I’m 70), we have always had old style. My procedure is and always has been is to plug the connector to the boat and twist until stops. During the twist, cinch down with ring snugly. I’ve never had a hot cord even during liveaboard years..I know people get lazy plugging cords in and the result is loose connections.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
The last few fires in the marina were smart plugs. I do not know the details. Over time with my last four boats over the decades and my grandfather’s boat, (I’m 70), we have always had old style. My procedure is and always has been is to plug the connector to the boat and twist until stops. During the twist, cinch down with ring snugly. I’ve never had a hot cord even during liveaboard years..I know people get lazy plugging cords in and the result is loose connections.
We've been in one (375 boat) marina for 18 years now here in Maryland. I wouldn't swear there hasn't been a boat fire in our marina, but I'm not aware of one, and they're really good about keeping us informed by email and facebook. I wonder if the majority of fires might be the result of using the shore power electrical systems at near their capacity limits, as you'd expect to happen in colder climates when using resistive heaters onboard?

Anyway, I will check my shore power plugs on the cord and boat next time I go out. I'm always very careful to engage the locking ring fully and not to cross-thread it. The last cord, I replaced only because the outer cover got gross looking, so I figured it was about time.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
My marina does have a “wall of shame” of burnt plugs. None of them are SmartPlugs, though I have seen a picture of a similar wall somewhere with one smartplug on it. Our boat has two 30A inlets - house and Air Conditioner. The inlet on the house side melted down twice before we switched it to a SmartPlug. Interestingly the AC side has not had any problems and is still original. The cord does make a sharper bend into the house side, which may contribute.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
When @jssailem , @LeslieTroyer and I were sailing a few years back we met up in a marina in Vancouver. That marina had a "Wall Of Fail" which did include an adapter cord with Smart Plug on one end. The opposite end, no the SP end, burned up earning its place on the wall.
I remember comments here when John posted the pic, people thinking the Smart Plug had failed. Nope, it was still good.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
No device is fail proof. It is more important to look at rates of failure and consequences of the failure. The design of the Smart Plug is much better than the original 1938 plug and it appears the smart plug failure rate is lower than the traditional plug. Although, that may in part be an artifact of the lower numbers of the Smartplug being in service.

I swapped over to a Smart Plug years ago and have no intention to go back to 1938 technology. :)

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
No device is fail proof. It is more important to look at rates of failure and consequences of the failure.
I swapped over to a Smart Plug years ago and have no intention to go back to 1938 technology. :)
Switched to a smart plug several years ago; one of the best upgrades that I have done.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I bought a Smart Plug at the 2018 Annapolis Fall Boat Show after talking to @jssailem about the advantages. (John and Less flew in for that show).
Much more secure connection and much easier for the Admiral to plug in. And I must admit I find it much easier also.

Anyway, here is the photo from the Wall of Shame at the Vancouver marina we stayed in. That marina did not allow boat owners to connect their own power cords. Only the marina staff was allowed to make the connection.
Note the Smart Plug shown was part of an adapter cord that failed, not the Smart Plug.

IMG_3038.jpeg

Finally remembered, False Creek Marina in Vancouver.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am a believer in the Smart Plug as a tool to minimize your boating risks.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I changed over to the Smart Plug a few years back because I showed up at the boat to find my electric cord dangling in the water and sizzling. I think a power boater came through the no wake zone at speed and caused enough wake to strip the locking ring and unplug my boat. It's a bit harder to accidentally disconnect.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
No device is fail proof. It is more important to look at rates of failure and consequences of the failure. The design of the Smart Plug is much better than the original 1938 plug and it appears the smart plug failure rate is lower than the traditional plug. Although, that may in part be an artifact of the lower numbers of the Smartplug being in service.

ditto! I made the change when it first came out because the design is a huge improvement over 1938.... I worked with very high current 3 phase that still used the hubble - many problems. When I removed the standard boat receptacle the hidden black wire was burned about an inch out from the socket with no visible issues in the exposed side of the connector

• Wow

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
failure rate is lower than the traditional plug. Although, that may in part be an artifact of the lower numbers of the Smartplug being in service.
"Rate" takes into account the number in service, in statistical terms. Perhaps you meant "number of failures?" But I get your point.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
However, the low numbers might not represent a proper sample set meaning the resulting statistics may be skewed.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
However, the low numbers might not represent a proper sample set meaning the resulting statistics may be skewed.
Be that as it may, it doesn't negate my observation.