Possible new owner 33 Ranger

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Im about to buy a Ranger 33 anything Ranger specific I should look for . im getting the boat fairly cheap so Its not in the best of shape but it is floating has sails and motor runs. Has a soft spot in the very front of the deck but I can fix that .and how is the Ranger community.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm a former Ranger 29 owner. Please check the mast step in the cabin. Originally, I think it was wood. In any event mine had been repaired but make sure yours is OK. And the compression post, if the 33 is deck stepped. I had some delamination in the cockpit and probably other areas - so don't skimp on sounding. I think I had to add a fuel shut off for the fuel line at the tank. My fuel tank leaked - check it. And it had the orange sludge which required removal and professional cleaning. I put a Garhauler traveler track on the transom. I should have had them bend it. When I got the boat the vents had been repurposed for a fan to ventilate the engine area - for good reason and CG approval. However, that cut off the natural flow of air through the boat and left a musty atmosphere. Apologies to the GC, but I disconnected the fan and re-re-purposed the vents to their original use - ventilating the boat. Much better! And, I felt that natural air flow would carry fuel vapors away. Of course I had to be careful to sniff.
There was a good community on another site but I haven't been to it in years. Ranger fans are getting long in the tooth by now. We have several 23's and one 26 in our local fleet as well as a spiffy 33 in G-Port. That old 26 still collects some trophies even in spinnaker classes and against sprit boats.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Well I bought it and have been working on it for a few weeks the engine was not running like the owner said but I got her running with minimal effort just had to pull the head and free some valves. ordered all the running rigging , added some new cushions, and am working on the electrical and wood work. could use a new main sail the foot of it seems to be rotted.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
King,
It is all about vision. and glass half full attitude. Not everyone has the finances for a Bavaria 38E. A boat Bob Perry described as:"basically chubby-proportioned boat". I for one would love to go sailing on a Bavaria, but maybe it is not where I'd spend my cash.
On the other side the Ranger in a 33 foot length has a lot of positives from cost in a marina, to cost of materials and equipment to make it a positive sailing experience. Or just a boat to clean up and resell.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks, but there are some very pretty boats of '70's vintage out there that have been well maintained, etc., and that really do look "great"--as I'm sure you know. In any event--FYI, Perry's review that you refer to is for the Bavaria 38 Ocean--a center cockpit model that is "chubby proportioned." He cites a 13'1" (13.08') beam on a 38'6" (38.5') LOA as evidence. The 38E is an aft cockpit model of 12.5' beam on a 39.3' LOA; so, a bit more trim. But yes, still beamy, as are most all of these post-1985 production models. I admire Ranger yachts, as do many others, for their sailing qualities.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I stand corrected. And I would still enjoy the opportunity taking a sail on a Bavaria chubby or Svelte.

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
There is an active Ranger owners group on facebook, But the other Ranger owners website I knew of, I think is now defunct due to the website administrator moving on to a different boat and no one else willing to pick up the slack. Since I was trying to sell my Ranger 26 at the time, I did not think it appropriate for me to take that task on.