Pop Top?

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Alternative poptop cover for warm weather.

Instead of the canvas cover, use a camping mosquito net designed for use over a picnic table or cot.
For a 26 S or D you need to make a hole for the poptop attachment screw to pass through. Just put duct tape on each side of the area and cut a slit.

To hold the bottom down we use a bungee that runs from the rear poptop bolt rope attachments around the outside of the vertical poptop "arms". Two bits of cord hold the front two corners of the bungee "outward" so the bungee actually sits down in the poptop drain channel. Just tuck the netting under this and let the back drape down over the companionway.

We have sailed the bug infested North Channel (and other areas) for over 5 years and enjoyed completely mosquito free slumber. Just be sure to rig it before the bugs come out.

We also use the same bug screen over the canvas cover (for colder or wetter nights) and it keeps the bugs completely out.

For the front hatch we have a piece of screen with Velcro around the edges that attaches to the underside of the hatch opening. Easy to rig, folds for storage and nothing to hit your head on ( like with a framed solution).

The bugs can be kept at bay!

We have even attached another picnic table bug screen the underside of the poptop (just used clothes pegs) and entertained on the cockpit - with the defending roar of a million Mosquitos inches from our ears.

Chris
We did one better - we had a sailmaker cut out the vinyl windows in our pop top and replace it with an ordinary window screen. made a HUGE difference in ventilation. The only problem is when it rains, it pours - if you know what I mean.
BTW, my first boat was Catalina Capri 18. After I got married and had a kid, and after he grew up enough to go sailing (about 8 yrs old), we spent ONE night on it and my wife declared we are getting a bigger boat - with a standing room. So we bought Macgregor 25. Now I can't imagine NOT having a pop top...

ssamac

Jan 5, 2014
Catalina Catalina 22 Fort Madison, IA
I have a Cat22 and thought they all came with a pop top. I've rarely used it because I'm lazy. First time I did was just to see how it worked. But I don't camp out much anymore. But if I do it's nice to have.
OK I don't think there's any difference stepping the mast with the pop top. Same tabernacle which sits in front of the pop top anyway.
Having the enclosure is a must unless you like flies and mosquitoes. Also keeps out rain without having to put the top back down at night and better ventilation. Gets pretty hot down there from the sun. Get a screen for the hatch too. you can make one with fiberglass screen and stick on Velcro very cheap/easy.

The first time I raised the mast with the furler I thought it was harder just like everything new. Once I got it figured I think it's just as easy. I have a CDY. I don't even take the sail off anymore. Only real issue is that it's longer and overhangs the mast and not that flexible. I just let it stick out and once the mast is secured I bend it over the foot and tie it back to the pulpit with a big bend and she's just fine. Never had a problem. And it's faster since you don't have to raise headsails.
ssamac

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
I have a Cat22 and thought they all came with a pop top. I've rarely used it because I'm lazy. First time I did was just to see how it worked. But I don't camp out much anymore. But if I do it's nice to have.
OK I don't think there's any difference stepping the mast with the pop top. Same tabernacle which sits in front of the pop top anyway.
Having the enclosure is a must unless you like flies and mosquitoes. Also keeps out rain without having to put the top back down at night and better ventilation. Gets pretty hot down there from the sun. Get a screen for the hatch too. you can make one with fiberglass screen and stick on Velcro very cheap/easy.

The first time I raised the mast with the furler I thought it was harder just like everything new. Once I got it figured I think it's just as easy. I have a CDY. I don't even take the sail off anymore. Only real issue is that it's longer and overhangs the mast and not that flexible. I just let it stick out and once the mast is secured I bend it over the foot and tie it back to the pulpit with a big bend and she's just fine. Never had a problem. And it's faster since you don't have to raise headsails.
ssamac
The problem with the screen and velcro is that most glues will get soft and runny in the sun.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
On the Mac you can't step the mast with the pop top up. Can you with the Cat?

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Can't step the mast on a Catalina-22 either,(or any boat that I'm aware of), with the cabin top up. On the first and second generation C-22's, the cabin top was held in the up position by a sliding fitting on the mast. Our MK-II tilts up and is held up with two stainless steel rods on the back.

Don

ssamac

Jan 5, 2014
OK 2 points
1. I was referring to stepping the mast with the pop top down. First of all, you would not trailer the boat with the top up. Not a good idea. So you would step the mast and then put the top up, and reverse, put it down before you lower the mast. I've seen people sail with the top up, not sure on a catalina but on a Macgregor I think . But I don't think you sail too well like that either. Never tried.

As far as Velcro, I have a screen for the companionway and a screen for the hatch that have to be about 20 years old maybe. The Velcro stays on the hull all the time. It has never gotten soft and runny. I used some stuff I got from West Marine and maybe that's special for boats. I guess if you use common Velcro it might degrade pretty quick and maybe someone on this forum has tried and can comment.

They use Velcro on mainsail covers a lot and it works fine too, so I have to think you need the right kind of Velcro.

ssamac

Jan 5, 2014
Capt Don. I don't know any sailboat that will let you step the mast with a pop top up. First of all would be pretty hard to just navigate yourself around the deck with the top up but you'd have to start with some special setup that didn't allow the mast to come down more than about 60 degrees. But as noted in my prior post, why would you want to keep the top up if you were going to haul out anyway.

Only thing I can think of is people who pass under bridges and have to tip the mast a bit. I think these people would in most cases have to put the top down. That's a lot easier than trying to control a mast that's hanging half way down while underway. But I've never had to do either so can't say for sure.

ssamac

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
There was one Mac owner that I'm aware of that wanted a permanent 'high' top that didn't pop up or down and this for sure isn't for everyone but some pictures...

... the boat on the water..

....the roller on the top...

... and the mast going down and ....

....the mast down and ...

...on the trailer. More on the Whale here...

http://www.svwhale.com/q1loyd.shtml

.... and no I don't want to do this with our boat.

Since the stock pop-top goes up and down in seconds I agree with the above comments. Leave it down for putting the mast up or down and otherwise put it up when you need it up,

Sum

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I've considered building a hard winter pop top, and swapping it out in the spring. The boat gets a bit claustrophobic in the winter. Still may do it from HDPE if I can learn how to weld it.

Jeff

ssamac

Jan 5, 2014
You now have a pilot house, like the old Hinkley. So here's the downside to this, among others. Windage. Take that out on a windy day and try to come about. Or on a very calm day - good luck. Docking will also be difficult on a day where wind direction blows you away from your dock. There are some boats with high topsides and/or hulls notoriously known for poor handling. Some even considered unsafe.

If one could make a solid pop top that was removable then you're talking. One that would fold up maybe, so you could stow it. Or make the tent out of solid material.
The few times I've used the tent, however, it seemed quite adequate for shelter.

Also noted above was the suggestion to cut out the plastic and add ventilation. Good. But what about the rain? Optimum solution would be to have screen under flaps so you could roll up the flaps and get air or roll down to keep out rain.

Finally if I were to ever repair the screen on mine, I'd use the fiberglass stuff they use on hunting ground blinds. You can't see in. It's like blackout stuff and gives you privacy.

ssamac

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
You now have a pilot house, like the old Hinkley. So here's the downside to this, among others. Windage. Take that out on a windy day and try to come about. Or on a very calm day - good luck. Docking will also be difficult on a day where wind direction blows you away from your dock. There are some boats with high topsides and/or hulls notoriously known for poor handling. Some even considered unsafe.

If one could make a solid pop top that was removable then you're talking. One that would fold up maybe, so you could stow it. Or make the tent out of solid material.
The few times I've used the tent, however, it seemed quite adequate for shelter.

Also noted above was the suggestion to cut out the plastic and add ventilation. Good. But what about the rain? Optimum solution would be to have screen under flaps so you could roll up the flaps and get air or roll down to keep out rain.

Finally if I were to ever repair the screen on mine, I'd use the fiberglass stuff they use on hunting ground blinds. You can't see in. It's like blackout stuff and gives you privacy.

ssamac
I have a100 year old Craftsman home, which means we have zilch for storage. That means I need to make it fold somehow, and also make it waterproof/theft proof. That part of the design has been the most problematic. I also don't want it to weigh a lot.

Any ideas would be welcomed. The canvas one is just too chilly at anchor (and out here, too noisy).

Jeff

ssamac

Jan 5, 2014
Store it

I have a100 year old Craftsman home, which means we have zilch for storage. That means I need to make it fold somehow, and also make it waterproof/theft proof. That part of the design has been the most problematic. I also don't want it to weigh a lot.

Any ideas would be welcomed. The canvas one is just too chilly at anchor (and out here, too noisy).

Jeff

ssamac

Jan 5, 2014
Problems. I'd get a used truck topper and cut the top off and cut down the sides to fit. Get one with the glass sliders front, back and sides. Back might have to go and be replaced if the lift up hatch is too wide. That locks down to the companion hatch.
Paint to match the boat when all done
Use the existing popper as the roof and the lips of the popper go over the sides like a deck hatch.
you need to made corners that come apart. Get 90 degree track and slide the corners into the track. get some trunk type catches and fasten from the inside to make is secure so it cannot be taken apart from the outside. Basically you'll be storing 2 flats about 8 feet by 2 feet and 2 flats about 5 feet by 2 feet. Less than an inch thick and should go nicely into one quarterberth. For warmth and noise you could glue some thin insulating board to the inside.
Need some kind of rubber or vinyl weatherstripping around the bottom where it meets the deck. Nice wooden hatch batten on the deck would make a nice channel for the bottom too. Look nice with a good varnish.

sam
Bet this would work. Devil's in the details so will take some planning and experimenting but I think you can make it work.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
...Any ideas would be welcomed. The canvas one is just too chilly at anchor (and out here, too noisy). ..Jeff
Jeff I'm sure by now you have probably seen what Ruth did to ours....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-2.html

Now it keeps the ....

...wind/rain out with the side flaps on the outside and later after the pictures were taken a second set on the inside.

The zippered front windows allow ventilation when needed and keeps the wind/rain when closed. They have double zippers on each side so you usually can have them open some even when it is raining as you can control which part of the window you want open (top or one side or the other).

Also there is now a screened....

....back that can be covered in rain or ....

... clamped up to the bimini to allow movement in rain between the cabin and cockpit while anchored.

It is quite warm but if temps drop under about 45 for the night we put the top down to conserve heat.

I'd hate to give up the forward vision from the cockpit when under way with something permanent sticking up there. We sailed on a boat that was something like than and the only way to see forward was to sit up on the coamings. I didn't like the feel myself sitting down in the cockpit with no forward vision,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Since we cruise the pop top is a necessity. So are the bug screens. The admiral wouldn't cook me a damn thing if she had to cook with no poppy toppy. I would be living on snickers bars like I used to.

Sumner, you and Ruth need to come visit for a time. We'll have a couple drinks a few laughs... bring your tools.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Each to their own I guess but to my eye that is just plain butt ugly

... but if he is having fun with it then good for him.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Each to their own I guess but to my eye that is just plain butt ugly

... but if he is having fun with it then good for him.
Completely agree. Now imagine trying to dock in a crosswind with keel up and THAT windage... or just trying to see how far to the dock. No, thanks.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Sum's right, and the rest too. Wind is an issue and in warm temps I think fondly of Ruth's wonderful work. However, I'm one of those weird guys that loves cold weather and will go out in it, but would like it warmer at night when I've anchored. There's lots of options; I've even considered making a blanket with a waterproof cover to put over the pop top. A half inch of closed cell foam would work fine.

Lots of ideas...though I'm still in the measure 32 times, cut once place.

Jeff