Pop Top Struts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2012
Macgregor Venture 25 Council Bluffs, IA
I've read about the installation of gas charged struts on the pop top. Looks like a "must have" modification. Does anyone have a part number that can be referenced so that I can buy some that are known to work?

Apr 29, 2012
Thanks Bob, yes I have read his post and the write up in the Mods section. Very helpful but I have been unable to find the struts he referenced from his part numbers.

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
I think that the length and ones that are for a hatchback on about any car will do as they are all strong.

Apr 29, 2012
Hi Bob, Have you done this mod yet? I ask because I see that you also have a Venture. Seems like there are some differences between the Venture and MacGregor models.

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
I still huff the top up, but plan to do the mod. Some of the differences I see are interior layouts (sliding sink vs built as part of the liner) and the width of the cabin top. I have a slight area to walk around the cabin without having to step on the top and I can mount stanchions there also as opposed to having them on top. I have sailed with Justsomeguy and his boat is a newer Mac but have not been much in the cabin to notice the differences. My boat has the built in the liner sink/storage but I think Freedom77 had this same arrangement and cut the sink out for more seating.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
search 26D Pop Top Gas Strut Challange by r.oril

Apr 29, 2012
Thanks Bob, I have read your thread and also just went back to look at again. Yours looks like it worked well for you. But I still need more info before I start dropping coin. I've looked at these struts before and there are at least 2 million different sizes and strengths (possible bit of exaggeration.) Could I get part numbers and size info?

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
Hey Ron, The ones I got are Signture 230P-100(23",100 Pounds). They did not have the 90 pounds. I went to a regular camper shell place where the install the small shells and he had a collections of all different sizes and pounds.
I had the top propped up when I installed them. I installed the back part first, then located the correct spot for the front bracket. You can see that they will close and not hit anything.
After they were installed, it was a real challange to lower it the first time. I thought that I was going to break something. I had to slowly force/pull/with my foot on the DB housing and it started to move and then closed. The next time it lowered with no problem and goes up slowly.
Right now I have the mast in place for traveling and the top is up against the bottom of the mast. Gives me a good 5 feet(I'm 5-10) to room to move around.

Here is a short video to show them in action. (Excuse the info, I said boom but ment mast):doh:

http://youtu.be/4xrvJoXB4rg

Attachments

Apr 29, 2012
Very helpful Bob. Now I have a part number that I can hopefully use to cross reference to something locally available. That should help. But I am unable to view the video. For some reason it is "private"

Thank You,
Ron

Oct 31, 2010
88' Macgregor 26D Whiskeytown Lake, CA
the video says "private" for me too...guess im not in the club :(
ha

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
Caguys post is about the mod I did to my v222, , same poptop as v25, but different from a m26. 90psi gas struts, 24"long, WM must have changed suppliers or that is just a mfg #, doesn't matter as long as you get the length and strength right. My mod bolts directly to the poptop and deck with a straight bracket and a right angle bracket on each side, as I was a little leery of drilling holes in the supports.

Oct 31, 2010
88' Macgregor 26D Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Hey Bob...good info...really helps
any one ever thought of flipping the stock pop-top struts around so that the pop-top swings towards the cockpit instead of the mast? i would like to allow room for my boom kicker and vang when the top is up. Also, when the new pop-top cover is made it will double as a dodger for use when sailing in heavy chop...and hopefully will kill some of the spray to the cockpit.

Apr 29, 2012
Thank You Bob. I'm getting some good helpful advice.

Doing some measuring and about ready to go out looking in town for something that will work. One issue I can see with the Venture is that the Pop Top legs work in the opposite direction from yours. They are very tight together. I'd like to do as some have done and mount my brackets to the fiberglass rather than the legs.

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
I see that yours has quite a bit of rod extended when closed. How did you decide where to position the bracket on the top?
The position is pretty much determined by the location of the supports, it has to fit in between with the top down. There is room there for the 24" units and it will pivot to a position where you have to push the top forward then down, someone falling against it isn't likely to collapse the top. Vwjon, does the top go all the way up with those struts?

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
A member asked me if the struts when fully extended will make the PT
Cover to short??
I don't have a PTC to test this. I'm thinking this should not change the fit of the cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.