Pop Top Struts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcyz

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 376
Was me..

Thanks Bob, and I did receive your invite.

All;
Before seeing the video that bob posted, I was thinking the gas struts were somehow replacing the (4) aluminum risers. After seeing Bob's installation it was clear to me they would not have any affect on the cover or tent and that the struts were being used to support the existing risers.

Thanks again Bob, I fly home on the 4th and will call you.

-Robert

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
Cool! Looking forward to visit.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Hey Bob...good info...really helps
any one ever thought of flipping the stock pop-top struts around so that the pop-top swings towards the cockpit instead of the mast? i would like to allow room for my boom kicker and vang when the top is up. Also, when the new pop-top cover is made it will double as a dodger for use when sailing in heavy chop...and hopefully will kill some of the spray to the cockpit.
Right On; I think you are thinking of the way some of the Mac 25's pop up to the back. (I think it would look very nice on a 26D.) Wouldn't that get in the way of the main sheet though?
What about getting to the jib sheets or getting in the cabin?
I'm going to have to play around with a sheet of cardboard and see.
I'm not sure but I think I have seen a boat that the pop top goes strait up. I think I was thinking that the legs would get in the way inside when its down....

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
I've read about the installation of gas charged struts on the pop top. Looks like a "must have" modification. Does anyone have a part number that can be referenced so that I can buy some that are known to work?
I got a pair of these from Amazon.com for only $25 for the pair:
http://www.amazon.com/SUSPA®-Spring-Strut-Shock-C16-08054/dp/B0041EBSX4/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

They work great on my Venture 23 which uses (I think) the same pop top as the V25. Amazon's vendor carries them in a variety of sizes and also sells the mounting brackets for about $5 a pair. They are not stainless but I do not have any cabin leaks in my boat. I installed the struts so that they are vertical when the pop top is completely raised.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the gas strut installation right now but here are a few of the lower profile pop top and enclosure.

I had shortened the original supports a little because neither my wife nor I are very tall and do not need the full height. I chose the gas strut lengths based on this lower profile. It allows me to keep the pop top up under the lowered mast when on the trailer. Great for working on the boat over the winter. I made the pop top encosure to fit the lower profile. Choose whatever length strut works for you.

I had been putting off this project for years thinking it would be a major hassle. In reality it turned out to be one of the easiest mods I've done to my boat. It only took a few minutes to install the struts; the hardest part was deciding where exactly to mount them so they wouldn't interfere with the aluminum supports. Even with measuring, remeasuring, and some trial and error it took less than two hours.l I kick myself for not having done this sooner. Yes, it is a "must have" modificationl

Attachments

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
Heinzer-- I really like your PT cover. Is it snapped to the PT on the inside. I see what might be a frame? Great looking boat!

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
Heinzer-- I really like your PT cover. Is it snapped to the PT on the inside. I see what might be a frame? Great looking boat!
Thank you for the compliment. Chiquita is still a work in progress even though she has owned me for over 35 years. I had made a conventional pop top cover out of blue Sunbrella years ago that covers the entire top. But when I changed the sail cover colors to green I thought I'd experiment with just covering the perimeter of the opening. I think that makes it look more like a tall dodger. The pictures do not show the door flap or bug screen. The green Sunbrella is attached with industrial strength Velcro. The adhesive on this proved to be inadequate after a couple of uses so I ended up reattaching with contact cement. There is not enough clearance for snaps when the PT is closed. There is no frame; what you see is the original pop top struts. I had to put them outside the cover because the top edge of the material Velcros to the inside lip of the PT to keep it watertight. I think I will wrap them with green duct tape so they blend in with the cover. (I do have them tied together with light line in case I drop one (thanks to a tip from this board!) The original U-shaped hinged aluminum supports that rotate as the top comes up are also visible.

I'm sure you know that the PTs on the Ventures 222, 23, 24, and 25 operate quite differently from those on the Mac 26's. The Ventures lift up and aft and are extremely heavy. The 26's lift up and forward toward the mast.

Henry

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
HEINZER - Thanks for the update. I went out and studied my PT. I was thinking velcro would work. I figured about 15 feet X 3 feet of material. Add 40 mil windows.

NICE!

Jan 22, 2008
HEINZER - Thanks for the update. I went out and studied my PT. I was thinking velcro would work. I figured about 15 feet X 3 feet of material. Add 40 mil windows.

NICE!
I should warn you that I have only slept aboard twice with this pop top cover, both times in calm, clear conditions. I did leave it up at the mooring a couple of nights when it did rain and blow a bit and the boat stayed dry. I think this design looks good and uses less material. It works great for my occaisional use but Sumner's design would be better functionally if you do any extensive cruising. Check out his web site. Made by his wife Ruth, his enclosure covers the entire pop top and, I believe, uses a weighted hem instead of snaps. It also has "skirts" at the bottom to fill any gaps and keep the water out. He says it only takes seconds to throw it over the pop top and spread out the sides.

Oct 31, 2010
88' Macgregor 26D Whiskeytown Lake, CA
HEINZER!!...you have a beautiful boat...VERY classy...I like the way the pop-top sweeps back slightly...it looks like a real "coach house"!.
this is why I want to make the switch and reverse my pop-top legs, so that when my pop top is up, it still has kind of a cool look with the sweep like yours. To me the stock pop tops look like an after thought on the 26C's...just my opinion.
NICE boat. really

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I agree, that is a sharp, class outfit to say the least. I also like the PT coming back. I have the 26c and also feel it looks awkward when it goes up and forward. (See mine below). It's not so bad on the forward part because the cover comes straight down and you have a little more room at the front of the opening with a "shelf" but where the cover has to reach back, it just looks weird.
Given the rear tilt lines of the windows, my thoughts are keeping that same line / angle would looks sharp.

Attachments

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Nice job and video Bob. Just as I thought I was getting done with mods now I have a new one. On mine the PO had mounted some struts to hold up the PT attached to the rear struts. Mine does not attach to the mast as the stock does. Its still a pia to put up as you have to hold up the PT while trying to attach the rear support struts. Really like the canvas work on Chiquita.

Attachments

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
First I too think that...

... Chiquita might be the prettiest Mac out there. I love the look of her.

About the pop-top angled rearward or forward I guess that is an individual preference thing. I like the looks of the rearward slope like on the pre-26' C's and like the way it protects the companionway to some degree from rain, but on the other hand we use...

...the area forward of the opening on the cabin top to the mast for storage of clothing and items on anchor. Also since the front wall is vertical we can usually open those windows some for ventilation even if it is raining as the water if any that comes in runs off. No worries about water down into the cabin.

But on the other end the stock pop-top cover didn't come down ...

... far enough on the companionway hatch to keep it covered in wind so rain came in there and also the sides were really inadequate in wind and rain as it blew in under...

...the sides. The worst feature was that there was no ventilation at all unless you count the wind blowing in under the sides.

As was mentioned Ruth added side-skirts inside/outside. Also made the back flap longer and added ventilation front and rear. We can also...

...attach the companionway flap to the bimini in moderate rain and move from the cabin to under the bimini protected.

I'll be interested in seeing some of your guys S's if you do reverse the angle of the pop-top and how you like it that way.

We don't use gas struts, but may add them in the future. Ruth can't put the top up, but it isn't that hard for me and I welded and extension piece to a nut and now it is quick and easy to attach to the screw that resides in the mast track,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Status
Not open for further replies.