Point of Sail

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I was looking at polars when I was boat shopping. I was not shopping for racing just trying to avoid getting a dog. I eventually just started looking at handicap ratings. That kind of helps, but I discovered some boats are only fast down wind with a kite.
Good points. Polars are hard because they are typically only available for boat that were intending for racing, and also because most people look at them for the MAX speeds, which are actually quite rare while racing or sailing. More important is how it does in 4-10 knots.

Using the US Sailing PHRF mean number for the boat is a very good indication of overall performance. Compare the number of the boat in question to a J/boat or Beneteau First of similar length to get a good idea of overall performance.

These numbers don't lie.

The US sailing database of PHRF ratings can be found here:
http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content...Current Base Handicap Class Hi Lo Average.pdf

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Yep, and that is exactly what I did. The boat I ended up with rates 84 Portsmouth. I was shopping for anything in the mid to low 80s, regardless of the length. My length was limited by trailering requirement. I'm real happy with the boat's sailing characteristics.

I could also see polars being very useful to the "real average" skipper who can't just look at a sail and say oh ya, that thing is shot. But if one is way off on boat speed, one needs to either do a lot of studying, or conclude their sails are blown out. I'm not happy with my sail shape, and have inquired in other places, basically to discover real knowledge is pretty limited. I've been poking around here, testing the knowledge a bit, just to see if its worth getting into the discussion. I think it is, but I'll start a separate thread.