Plunked down $2200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2008
Oday 23 Lake Monticello
I'll check. I'm going sailing on Sunday. I haven't been since April. Winds in central SC lake have not been good all summer.

Kevin

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
I got a real bugger off a cold last weekend and could not get to the coast to install the engine. Freaking killing me being home this weekend but the wife is working! I am counting the hours until next weekend.

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
I look forward to seeing how that motor works out. I am not sure what hp to go with. I hate the idea of having a near 100 lb motor on the stern. The 6 hp is much lighter. But I am afraid it will be underpowered.
Sorry to hear of your cold. I have been working a lot of overtime and have not had a chance to sail. Time I've been off it has either been way too hot or had other things I had to do.
I did get my trailer sandblasted and painted last week in Gadsden but have not Had a day off to go pick it up.
I think I mentioned joining the Tyndall marina. I hope to get the boat down there this fall!

Oct 11, 2010
Oday 22 Holland MI
Took the new Tohatsu 9.8 25" shaft out for the first time yesterday, motored for an hour to get the running in started.
The good;
Drove the boat at 5.5 knots (GPS) on quater throttle for a total of less than 1/2 gal of fuel :) Half throttle increased speed to 6 knots.
Easy start of course oh I do like electric starts.
Easy to tip up don't need to raise mount to get propeller clear of the water, just as well as I don't think I'd want to lift it from in the boat.
The not so good,
Suprisingly noisy, the same may be more than my old 8hp mariner two stroke, vibration at low throttle positions seems to resonate the boat, stiffer motor mount might help.
No way to lock the steering means tie-ing off the tiller and using the motor makes turning slow. I just need to think of a way to tie off the motor, or ignor the manual and reef on the steering stiffnes adjustment bolt.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Oday 23 Manhasset Bay, LI
I tightened my stiffening bolt without locking the motor down and I steer with the tiller. The motor will sometimes move after hitting a big wave or wake, but in normal ooperation it stays where I set it.

sPk

Jun 12, 2005
Oday 25 Apostle Islands, WI
I installed the Tohatsu 9.8hp extra long motor w/Garelick mount on my O'Day 25 last weekend. I added a 1/4" aluminum plate to on the wedge to adapt the wider mount, backed the inside of the transom with a 6"x11" piece of cutting board & aluminum strips. I am not happy with the install. The heavy springs on the mount make it very hard to get to the lowest position, so I am not using it. There is a lot of noisy vibration from the motor and biggest issue of all, there is way too much flex still in the transom.
I am looking for a easy way to reinforce the inside of the transom without major work.
I am also considering removing the wedge as it just increases the amount of leverage on a small space but haven't worked out if the mount will position the motor properly without it. Has anyone succesfully removed the wedge with the Garelick 71091 mount, Tohatsu 9.8, on an O'Day 25?

Oct 11, 2010
Oday 22 Holland MI
Thank Ruidh,
I tightened the steering bolt works well. Still impressed with the fuel economy had to power back roughly 2 nm's into a 8 to 10 knot wind and 5 foot swell having lost a port stay and dropped sail. Using more power than I really needed at half throttle plus putzing around less than 1/8 of a tank of gas.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
Yeah, I'm beginning to think the 9.8 is overpowered for my 23.

Oct 11, 2010
Oday 22 Holland MI
I guess I'd prefer to more on hand than not enough, I'm pleased that fuel con seems to be around 0.5 gal/hr at close to hull speed with 1/4 throttle and plenty in reserve.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Has anyone succesfully removed the wedge with the Garelick 71091 mount, Tohatsu 9.8, on an O'Day 25?
I am pretty sure that mount holds the motor far enough off the transom that it will not be a problem. I have a 2 stroke kicker mount on my Catalina 22 with a 10hp 2 stroke with no wedge. The only problem is that it is too close to the hull in the up position. It makes using the release mechanism a real challenge. It does not interfer with the motor in the down position. I put my Tohatsu on this past weekend but I need to drill a new hole to run the battery cable through so I did not start the break in period. I finish the job this weekend. I would rather take the extra time to do it right. I hate fixing my own jerry rigs.

ruidh

Oct 1, 2007
I guess I'd prefer to more on hand than not enough, I'm pleased that fuel con seems to be around 0.5 gal/hr at close to hull speed with 1/4 throttle and plenty in reserve.
Hull speed at 1/4 throttle is too fast. How do you go slow?

Oct 11, 2010
Oday 22 Holland MI
Throttle response seems pretty good between idle and qtr throttle I've managed to idle nice and lsow into and out of the dock. I'm actualy very pleased with motor.

Oct 2, 2008
Thanks for all the good comments and information.
I decided to order the tohatsu 6 sail pro with 25" shaft. My Nissan gave up the ghost a few weeks back, and i had already wanted to replace it since it was only a 15 inch shaft and spent half the time out of the water.
The last couple of times i went sailing the wind was not favorable to getting back into my own slip, and i had to tie up at the end of the dock.
I just could not decide which engine to go with. In the end the deciding factor was the weight. I wanted an engine i could get off and on, and the six was much lighter.
After reading the comments here, I felt like the 6 may be enough power for me.
We did have a bit of wind to go with our high 90's this week, and overall had a nice sail yesterday. Today was a dog with hardly a breeze, and hot, hot, hot.

Took the new Tohatsu 9.8 25" shaft out for the first time yesterday, motored for an hour to get the running in started.
The good;
Drove the boat at 5.5 knots (GPS) on quater throttle for a total of less than 1/2 gal of fuel :) Half throttle increased speed to 6 knots.
Easy start of course oh I do like electric starts.
Easy to tip up don't need to raise mount to get propeller clear of the water, just as well as I don't think I'd want to lift it from in the boat.
The not so good,
Suprisingly noisy, the same may be more than my old 8hp mariner two stroke, vibration at low throttle positions seems to resonate the boat, stiffer motor mount might help.
No way to lock the steering means tie-ing off the tiller and using the motor makes turning slow. I just need to think of a way to tie off the motor, or ignor the manual and reef on the steering stiffnes adjustment bolt.

Attachments

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
I started my break in this past weekend. It seems to run at a higher RPM or it does not handle the rpm vibration as well as my Honda 10.0 did. That is the only down side I have found. It has a slightly different pitch than my Honda but the decibel range seems to be the same. The shifting from forward to neutral and then to reverse was smother than my Honda. The low idle and the ability of the engine to actually work in gear at that range was nothing short of amazing. Being able to maneuver the boat with the screw turning that slow will help greatly. Over all the honeymoon phase is exciting.

Oct 2, 2008
RECESS said:
I started my break in this past weekend. It seems to run at a higher RPM or it does not handle the rpm vibration as well as my Honda 10.0 did. That is the only down side I have found. It has a slightly different pitch than my Honda but the decibel range seems to be the same. The shifting from forward to neutral and then to reverse was smother than my Honda. The low idle and the ability of the engine to actually work in gear at that range was nothing short of amazing. Being able to maneuver the boat with the screw turning that slow will help greatly. Over all the honeymoon phase is exciting.
I got my 6 hp on the boat last weekend. Can't say that I'm crazy about it. Mainly because it is hard to start. I guess I pull the rope twenty times before it sputters to life. I tried all sorts of combinations of chock and throttle but nothing seemed to get a quick start. Once I got it running it seemed to drive the boat ok.

sPk

Jun 12, 2005
I remounted the Tohatsu 9.8 extra long shaft & Garelick mount without the wedge last weekend. I didn't like how far out the motor was and how much leverage it had on the small wedge. I also beefed up the transom with a couple layers of 1/4 plywood epoxied on the inside plus a 1/4 aluminum backing plate. This reallly helped the flexing that was there before. I mounted the Garelick mount direct to the transom where the wedge was. Once I got the motor back on, I was greatly sadened to realize that it wasn't low enough. It is usable, but the cavitation plate is barely in the water. It needs to go down about 5-9" below where the top of the wedge was. That brings it almost down to the waterline on the transom. Also the angle isn't quite right either, it isn't perpendicular to the water. This has been a frustrating project.

Oct 2, 2008
sPk said:
I remounted the Tohatsu 9.8 extra long shaft & Garelick mount without the wedge last weekend. I didn't like how far out the motor was and how much leverage it had on the small wedge. I also beefed up the transom with a couple layers of 1/4 plywood epoxied on the inside plus a 1/4 aluminum backing plate. This reallly helped the flexing that was there before. I mounted the Garelick mount direct to the transom where the wedge was. Once I got the motor back on, I was greatly sadened to realize that it wasn't low enough. It is usable, but the cavitation plate is barely in the water. It needs to go down about 5-9" below where the top of the wedge was. That brings it almost down to the waterline on the transom. Also the angle isn't quite right either, it isn't perpendicular to the water. This has been a frustrating project.
Is that the 25 inch shaft?

Oct 2, 2008
emergpa1 said:
Is that the 25 inch shaft?
If it is. I think something is amiss. I have the 25 inch shaft on the same mount and it goes deep enough. Maybe your mount is not going all the way to the deepest notch? Mine is mounted to the original wedge plate. This pict is before the new mount, but the new mount is attached to the same spot. This can give u an idea of the area and level above the water line they attachment can be.

Attachments

sPk

Jun 12, 2005
It is the 25" shaft. With the wedge, it was plenty deep. Without the wedge, it only marginal.

Status
Not open for further replies.