Plunked down $2200

Status
Not open for further replies.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
We have been doing a lot of deep water fishing in the 10 to 20 mile offshore range. The Mahi Mahi are about to be big enough to go looking for. About a month ago our outboard cut off while returning so we sailed in on very light wind. Once in the river I got it restarted and kept it running by keeping the bulb pumped all the time. The carb jets had been done in by a summer of ethanol. We have had a great run with our Honda 4 stroke and she runs like a champ again after having the carb rebuilt. My wife and I got talking and we decided having a 30 year old outboard may not be the safest way to go. I also would really like to have electric start. She agreed to get a new outboard so I ordered a new 9.8 Tohatsu, should get her Thursday or Friday and then putting her on the boat. I will be putting the Honda on our Catalina 22 which is our lake and traveling boat. 10hp is a bit over powered for the 22 but it is an outstanding motor, I do not want to get rid of it.

Any advice for breaking in a new motor?

This is the one I ordered.

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu-9-8-hp-MFS9-8A3EFUL.html

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I was reading the Tohatsu manual and it suggest that you let it warm up at idle for 3 minutes before using it, to allow the lubrication to reach all of the moving parts.
Are you going to add remote controls?

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
The manual for the engine will tell you how to break in the outboard when it is new. I thought you were going to share more of the fishing story.

sPk

Jun 12, 2005
Oday 25 Apostle Islands, WI
In mid July, I ordered the exact same motor from the same place. I was told they are on a few week backorder due to Japan earthquake. I hope it willl ship this week as they were expected on 08/02. I also ordered a new motor mount (Garelick 71091) and an piece of 1/4 aluminum (10"x10") to allow wider motor mount.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2008
Oday 23 Lake Monticello
Last year, I posted an outboard motor mount template that worked for me when I bought a 4 stroke tohatsu 6 hp and Garelick mount.

Let me know if you need that PDF template. I had a machine shop cut and drill a mount plate for me and it works great.

Kevin

sPk

Jun 12, 2005
Thanks Kevin (kdnichols) for posting the template. Very nice work.
sPk

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Thanks for the template. My motor is supposed to ship today and I am supposed to recieve it Thursday or Friday. Crosses fingers.

I rebuilt my transom several years ago. My brother in law stole a stop sign a long time ago and it sa in a barn for twenty years. I cut it in half and used one side as a backing plat for the motor and teother side as a backing plate for my swim ladder.

I would love to get the new motor mounted this weekend and get in some more fishing.

sPk

Jun 12, 2005
Kevin, thanks again. The photos really help. I was wondering how to make the space for the bolt heads between the plates. Were the original wedge bolts long enough to handle the additional thickness 1/4" of the mounting plate?

Oct 11, 2008
Oday 23 Lake Monticello
I actually ended up replacing the old bolts and adding new marine plastic wedges (for the bolt washers). I figured the boat was over 25 years old, so I would do it to be safe.

That tohatsu is a dream. Starts up with 1 or 2 pulls even after months of inactivity.

Kevin

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
I just touched my new love for the first time. I set her next to my Yamaha 2.5 hp 4 stroke dinghy motor.

I am doing my best to keep Japan's economy afloat.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
I just touched my new love for the first time. I set her next to my Yamaha 2.5 hp 4 stroke dinghy motor.
Hate to be the one to tell you Dave, but your new love has a long shaft. ;)
It's a nice feeling having a reliable motor.

Oct 11, 2008
Oday 23 Lake Monticello
My tohatsu 6hp is 2 years old and probably only has 3 hours on it. The thing starts up on the 1st or 2nd pull and is perfect for our lake sailing. The gaerlick mount can be a pain to get up and down. It's spring loaded and can be tough.

Kevin

Jun 3, 2004
Oday and Catalina O'Day 25 and Catalina 30 Milwaukee
I removed the wedge

When I re-did my motor mount on the O'Day 222 I had, I removed the wedge and replaced the mount with an updated Garelick unit. Since the upper mounting plate can be adjusted fore and aft, there was no need for the wedge. I filled the old holes, beefed up the backing plate, and put a spacer plate (cut from a plastic cutting board) in place so that the handle was far enough from the transom to raise the motor. I put a Tohatsu 4-stroke 6 hp motor on it and eventually added the Powerthruster plates (available on this site) to do three things: 1. protect the rudder from the prop, 2. prevent the motor from shifting to the side when motoring in waves and (tightening the screw didn't fix the problem) and 3. improve fuel efficiency. It accomplished all three in my opinion. All in all, I was quite happy with the setup.

Dave
O'Day 25

Attachments

sPk

Jun 12, 2005
mount issues

The gaerlick mount can be a pain to get up and down. It's spring loaded and can be tough.

Kevin
Kevin, are you saying that the new garelick mount (Garelick/Eez-In 71091) is hard to use with the new Tohatsu? Is the motor not heavy enough for it?
thanks,
sPk

Oct 11, 2008
Oday 23 Lake Monticello
Yes. It's just a pain in the ass to push down into the water. I think the 6 hp is light.

It's not a big deal. Just not easy.

Kevin

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Do you have one or two springs. Can you remove one of the springs? On the old Garelick they came with one or two springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.