pleasing to the eye

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Running forward on one of those boats is not an euphemism. You real need to run to get from one shroud or stay to the next in that split second between the waves.
And there is room to run. Just look at the decks on Marilee.

When she is heeled bow down it looks like with out the toe rail there would be no place to stand.

Young spry fit crew is a requirement.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Me neither. Unless I was attempting a solo experience on a relatively calm flat water day.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
it is interesting that the boat with the lead is all wearing life jackets. the boat behind no one is wearing life jackets. both boats have no safety fencing.
i find that a crew will try harder and 'GO FOR IT' more when they feel safe.
just an observation, with no real facts
The crew on the lee boat are wearing PFDs. There are just the same color as their shirts.

It does look like a very tense moment, but no one is looking apprehensive.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It's easy to spot a photographer or artist of a marine scene, that doesn't sail or know boats. They don't get it.

I follow a Vintage, Classic and Traditional boats group. A lot of the photos posted are from marine pro's around the world (most are in the EU), that make a living with their cameras on the water.

Most of the great shots posted are racers. That's where the action is. A good eye with sailing anticipation can catch these moments.

1607519384279.png

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Besides how amazing that shot is, I'm intrigued by the shape of that boom. It looks like a real wind catcher.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Besides how amazing that shot is, I'm intrigued by the shape of that boom. It looks like a real wind catcher.

-Will (Dragonfly)

-Will (Dragonfly)
ANNE SOPHIE may be an 8 meter built in 1938. I think those hollow rectangular section box spars may have been the norm at that time, like the Concordias designed in the 30's. Just a guess though. Jon may know more about that spar. It's formidable.

Concordia Allure.jpg