pleasing to the eye

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What's the first design, Jon? This fine shot shows DORADE hard on the wind, even the mizzen is drawing nicely (supposed to be back winded).

View attachment 187822
The mizzen is back winded, but the main also looks a little that way to me.

Beauty! ...and in no way reduces the awe of watching a boat like that.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The mizzen is back winded, but the main also looks a little that way to me.

Beauty! ...and in no way reduces the awe of watching a boat like that.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Yeah, that's why I posted the 8 m's. You often see the main luff (black lines) backwinded a bit on racing boats going to windward. But isn't it the leech area of the main where the power is coming from? If a main or mizzen is backwinded, would the telltales stream aft? I dunno,...

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
1930, herreshoff, thirty square-meter boat,
quite lovely i think :)

May 25, 2012
look at the ribs in the cockpit photo. looks like on old town canoe ribs.
super light weight racers like these are known to 'hog back' from being on the hard off season. this boat's lines look nice.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
these are not aux sail boats. no cruising gear. if they have an engine, it's super small to just get off the dock. dad's 38' US one design had a 7 hp evenrude in a cockpit well that came out while sailing, with a 'plug' that went in. ultra light weight built. nothing down below. the narrowness opened up the waves to go through. we did not go over the waves we went through them.
the ride is fantastic. lots of bending of the hull. the hull really 'works'.
the lightly built wood, narrow shape gives the most fantastic ride. i remember how chubby we thought aeolus was when we first saw him.

May 25, 2012
on our Ascow, you can change the shape of the mast to look like that while under way

May 25, 2012
it is interesting that the boat with the lead is all wearing life jackets. the boat behind no one is wearing life jackets. both boats have no safety fencing.
i find that a crew will try harder and 'GO FOR IT' more when they feel safe.
just an observation, with no real facts