Planning new "plastic" cabin sole for H37C.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
I have pulled up part of the cabin sole, the rotten part in front of the stove and sink. There is a seam just at the front of the sink so I guess I could just piece in a section. But I am leaning more toward a complete replacement with PlasTeak( http://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-re...s/teak-holly-and-flooring/teak-holly-flooring ).

My question regards the 1/8" thickness of the material. I know that our cabin soles are solid throughout, there are no openings excepting the bilge. So do I glue the 1/8" Teak and Holly to the fiberglass? Or do you think that I need an underlayment? I plan to ask the manufacturer the same question.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Ed,

I am considering the same thing for the same reasons (although it will probably have to wait until next year - spent too much on the boat this year already...). I was thinking of going with Lonseal, which is essentially a high quality vinyl flooring, as far as I can tell. I imagine that Plasteak or Lonseal would not be as thick as the plywood it replaces? So, either an 'underlay' is required or the boards that cover the bilge in the middle would have to be skimmed down to sit at the same height...

Is Plasteak more like laying laminate flooring or vinyl flooring?

Jun 2, 2004
PlasTeak flooring comes in a roll Jim. So I guess that would be like vinyl flooring. I'll bring a bilge cover home to analyze. The material is 1.828 meters wide. And comes in any length but only in even(?) .304 meters. :)

Jun 8, 2004
PlasTeak flooring comes in a roll Jim. So I guess that would be like vinyl flooring. I'll bring a bilge cover home to analyze. The material is 1.828 meters wide. And comes in any length but only in even(?) .304 meters. :)
Ed, I am from that generation of Canuks who had to learn both American & Metric measures. When I reach for a tape measure, its in feet & inches. Bloody hot here today at 28 degrees, though... ;)

Jun 8, 2004
Are you considering removing the sink cabinetry and the nav table and the bulkhead it is attached to? I believe that the plywood floor runs as a continuous sheet under these fixtures, does it not?

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
Hunter 37-cutter Philadelphia, PA
I have the same project in mind! Replace the floors in both galley (it's a bit squishy!) and main cabin. However, $50 per foot for Plasteak tells me to look at other options. Right now, I'm considering engineered wood flooring from Home Depot. Just can't quite figure out how to fit it on the curved galley floor so it looks OK.

Jun 8, 2004
I have the same project in mind! Replace the floors in both galley (it's a bit squishy!) and main cabin. However, $50 per foot for Plasteak tells me to look at other options. Right now, I'm considering engineered wood flooring from Home Depot. Just can't quite figure out how to fit it on the curved galley floor so it looks OK.
I imagine that engineered flooring (laminate flooring?) would be closer to the thickness of the existing teak & holly ply as well...

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
Yup, the samples I have are a tad over 1/4inch (7mm) thick

Jun 8, 2004
Well, I will let you and Ed figure out what works and looks best...and then I'll go for it. God, I love this forum. :D

May 2, 2011
Hunter 37 C Long Pond, NL
Jim

I second your comment about the forum. I don't think I would have tackled as many projects on my boat as I have without all of you.

Ed, good luck with the flooring. I suspect a lot of Cherubini owners will be interested in your results.

Fred, since engineered flooring is made from wood were you planning on sealing the underside?

Thanks

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
The samples I have show both top and bottom are sealed. The only part that isn't sealed are the tongue and groove sides. Haven't figured out what I'm going to do about that yet.

Tim M

Oct 19, 2014
Hunter 37C Blaine,Wa.
Ed - I looked at all the 'plastic' options and decided to replace ours with what has been there before. Teak and holly 1/2" marine ply is only (?) $250 a sheet and locally - here at least - you can buy as little as a quarter sheet. Since it originally lasted 30 yrs. more or less, either replace it all or just the pieces that need it and refinish it all. It's hard to beat the look and character of 'real wood'. IMHO
Tim

Jun 2, 2004
Yes, lots to consider. I have seen this project several times over the years. Pretty sure I will spend the $500. for plastic. Fifty a foot sounds like a lot but I would need two sheets of plywood at the 4x8 size would I not? And yes Jim, it does go under the cabinets but I will not. The "baseboard" will cover the joint. I agree about the look of wood but I really want maintenance free and an easier installation. I might change my mind when I see it in the flesh. It is made just up the road in an Akron suburb.

Tld

Feb 27, 2015
Hunter 37c Virgin Islands
I recently went thru the same questions as my 1/4" teak and holly ply was totally delaminating. I ended up removing the old ply,( it did go under cabinet but i just cut it with a chisel) and going to home depot for "plastic" flooring. Its designed to be free floating but can also be glued, which i did because of the bilge. It is now "plastic" glued to fiberglass and totally water proof. I absolutely love it and considering the cost, about $200 would definitely do it again. It has held up excellent. If i can figure out how, i will post a couple pics as well. As options are limited in the Virgin Islands, this was a great fix

Aug 14, 2011
33 Hunter Cherubini Sardis, MS
TLD I like that look. How many cases of flooring did you end up needing? Do you think that buying a lighter shade of laminate and cutting "holly" strips to fit in between the darker sections would look decent at all or is it too hard to cut?

Tld

Feb 27, 2015
Hunter 37c Virgin Islands
Frankiedogs, as I recall, it took four boxes to do the main section of my 37' boat(at $50 a box). It cuts very easy when its warm with a utility knife and straight edge. I did think about going with the classic look but decided i actually liked the simple, solid look. Of coarse the fact that it would have taken much longer to cut holly strips may have had something to do with it as well!

Nov 19, 2012
Hunter 33C Jensen Beach, Fl
Frankie dogs, The sole looks great! I am looking at the Allure flooring from HD. Is that what you used. If not what did you use, if so did you place it over the existing ply or did you remove the ply and place it over the fiberglass sub floor. (Sorry the question mark key doesn't work on this laptop) Thanks, Bill