Plan "B"

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Never really had any failures that required extraordinary action of a "Plan B" nature, thankfully. The propeller flew off while backing out of the slip once, and the starter fried while leaving the slip one other time. In both cases I was far enough out to need assistance getting back into it, which I received from harbor patrol. Something more serious, like having the headsail furler foul while furling in strong wind, or having the chute dragging me over toward shore with no easy way to get her in, has not been experienced. No uncontrolled jibes causing damage or injury; no serious groundings; no dragging anchor during a blow at night in tight quarters. No big storms at sea, etc. No MOB's. No collisions. No significant water ingress otherwise. But I don't usually cruise far from shore; maybe 45-50 n.mi. at most. The weather here is predictable (i.e., forecastable). The boat is well maintained, so I like to believe. If I run out of wine, I drink rum, beer, or sake. Tools may get rust but don't freeze b/c I regularly get 'em out and work 'em. If something breaks I try to get it fixed soon or have a "sub" for it. My philosophy--the boat should at all times be ready put to sea within a few minutes.:cool:

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
"My philosophy--the boat should at all times be ready put to sea within a few minutes.:cool:"
Having lived aboard for 13 yrs, cardinal rule was able to untie within 15 min of sailing decision..

Oct 28, 2008
Catalina 320 Lake Texoma
Wow, I learned to fly for a living before I learned to sail. Silly priorities I guess, but that was"my world" of what if's. Trust me, they still haven't quit inventing them. And for the last 27 years I have relied on a well maintained boat and the homework to learn how to use it all. "Jackdaw" comes to mind, but I'm tired of racing. And 37 years in a cockpit with wings taught me a thing or two about weather, as will being a novice sailor. If you learn anything, learn something about that. Nice to have an idea that the calm slip you are leaving will be as friendly on your return. And that you can handle what comes out there. What breaks boats is usually the inability to do it. And slip sailors are kinda like "bar pilots" they are taken with a grain of salt til you get in a cockpit with them, on their boat, on a breezy day. Cheers.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
yes I do...
a long time ago, I realized there actually is a "what if" factor in this life.
it is not written anywhere, isnt taught by anyone, escapes the notice of too many people, and when brought to their attention, most of them wont understand it if you try and explain how to use it....
but those that do understand it and use it everyday of their lives have much less troubles than those who dont.

there are even people with a high degree of common sense who dont know how to factor in the "what ifs" when planning something... failures in this case can sometimes be catastrophic.
I use the what if factor right along with the risk vs gain factor.... used in conjunction with one another, one can almost always end up on the winning side of any issue or problem.... and even if he finds himself on the losing side once or twice, his losses are usually minimal....