Plan "B"

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Since I solo sail a lot, I often think about all the "what ifs" that could happen while I'm single-handing the boat and what I would do if they occurred. Things like furler jams, getting a torn sail down, an engine that won't start, parting standing rigging, a leaking thru-hull, running aground, falling or getting knocked overboard, and so on. Over many years of sailing, I've been lucky to have only experienced a few mishaps here and there, so maybe I'm just a pessimist. How many of you also do this?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I assume everything will be fine most of the time, but I still focus on safety issues (I have many years of working in a "hazardous occupation".) I think about safety a lot. I rarely single hand, but frequently have inexperienced folks onboard. I consider the safety of those on the boat to be job one.

Ken

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
How many of you also do this?
All the time. Fallbacks, backups, back up plans, what-ifs... What ever we call them, I'm always doing it. I learned it from a dock mate who lost his forestay on his Island Bahama 24 back in the late 80s on a typically windy day on SF Bay. He immediately turned downwind and sailed to Berkeley, even though he lived in Alameda. The culprit was one of the damned closed body turnbuckles. The very next week I brought my boat (a Catalina 25 at the time) in for new standing rigging. As the yard guy was taking off the turnbuckle on the single backstay, it sheared completely. "Hey, Stu, good thing you brought the boat in now." Right...:)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Warren, Wow started in 1999... You are an old hand on this site.
Being an often solo sailor or sailing with new to sailing folk, safety of crew (even if only me) and boat is always in my mind. I boa ugh the a boat that had nothing in the way of safety elements. Elements as in tie downs for jack lines, solid life lines, hand holds in the cabin or in the cockpit.
So I am creating them as I refit the boat for my uses. The “COLD WATER” survival info shared by Ken was an excellent piece. In our waters it is a constant issue. Now so for the summer waters that make up the Chesapeake. Yet you folk are starting into a season that will bring a chill to your bones if you fall in.
Floatation is the only option for a chance at rescue. As we have discussed here in recent MOB messages. It is going to take some time to get a body back on the boat. If the MOB only has 10 viable minutes of survival with out floatation in 60 degree water before muscles quit then floatation is the only answer.
Staying dry will aide the sailor, first by not going overboard. So well considered jacklines and tethers are the tool to keep you onboard should you loose your footing. Lifelines may be the last hope as you see the deck sliding beneath your feet. Then in the water a dry suit or survival suit is the only way to delay the effects of cold water on the body.

From here there are the issues on the boat that require consideration, like electrical systems, engine, through hulls ... but I’l leave tha for another time.

It is not paranoia but a desire to preserve the life and future.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
This from Oct '09
-----
It started as any sail would start, getting the boat ready and heading out. The wind wasn’t all that great and the pacific ocean was calm with light swells. But it was a day of sailing and that beats a day of anything. Even practiced with my sextant.

About a mile off the coast and heading towards the harbor, I started my routine of taking my sails down. First the head sail bundled on the deck. Next the main. With the motor running a slow forward motion and the auto pilot on I started to fold the main on the boom. The boat started to roll from a swell and it almost knocked me off balance. Then another swell hit and this time it did knock me off balance.

I grabbed the boom and one more swell knocked me on the boom. The combined weight of the boom and me snapped the link on the boom end of the topping lift. The boom went crashing into the cockpit and with me completely off balance, I went crashing into the cabin below. That would be about a six foot fall straight down into the companion way ladder. Luckily it was feet first, but it still hurt like the dickens. My chin came within inches of smashing into the companion way.

I took a mental inventory and found I had a sharp pain in my left leg below my knee and my right leg just below my cheek. Also my right arm was hurting, but it was my left leg that was my main concern.

I exited the cabin back into the cockpit and checked my position. Half a mile to the harbor entrance. I pulled my pant leg up and just below and to the inside of my left knee was a knot about 2” high, 4” wide and about 6” long. And it was getting bigger. My first thought was blood clot and I should call the Harbor Patrol and ask for assistance, but I started instead to massage the knot. I thought it was a busted blood vessel or something really bad, but after massaging a minute or so the knot went down. No numbness to my toes or coldness in my leg. So whatever it was it went back to normal. Today the swelling is way down and my leg has signs of bruising.

I think I was extremely lucky on Monday. I did have my PFD on but I was not harnessed to the boat. Lesson learned - wait until I enter the outer harbor before taking the sails down.
-----

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The Admiral often comes up with a “What if...”. That’s just the way she is made. A big improvement in our sailing life was when I stopped saying, “Don’t worry about that,” and asked, “What’s the worst case?” Then we work through a plan together. We enjoy the exercise, and now have plans for a water spout, sudden pop up thunderstorm, engine failure while going into the wind, a failure of running rigging, and many more. I realized that contingency planning is a hallmark of seamanship.

I do draw the line at a contingency for sharks in Lake Erie, and we have a good laugh at that. And some of our talks have led to changes in the set up or equipment on our boat. The newest of these is a centerline jack line that will let a tether keep you aboard, rather than just attached to the boat in the water. That was sparked by the recent discussion of man overboard procedures on this website.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
This from Oct '09
-----
It started as any sail would start, getting the boat ready and heading out. The wind wasn’t all that great and the pacific ocean was calm with light swells. But it was a day of sailing and that beats a day of anything. Even practiced with my sextant.

About a mile off the coast and heading towards the harbor, I started my routine of taking my sails down. First the head sail bundled on the deck. Next the main. With the motor running a slow forward motion and the auto pilot on I started to fold the main on the boom. The boat started to roll from a swell and it almost knocked me off balance. Then another swell hit and this time it did knock me off balance.

I grabbed the boom and one more swell knocked me on the boom. The combined weight of the boom and me snapped the link on the boom end of the topping lift. The boom went crashing into the cockpit and with me completely off balance, I went crashing into the cabin below. That would be about a six foot fall straight down into the companion way ladder. Luckily it was feet first, but it still hurt like the dickens. My chin came within inches of smashing into the companion way.

I took a mental inventory and found I had a sharp pain in my left leg below my knee and my right leg just below my cheek. Also my right arm was hurting, but it was my left leg that was my main concern.

I exited the cabin back into the cockpit and checked my position. Half a mile to the harbor entrance. I pulled my pant leg up and just below and to the inside of my left knee was a knot about 2” high, 4” wide and about 6” long. And it was getting bigger. My first thought was blood clot and I should call the Harbor Patrol and ask for assistance, but I started instead to massage the knot. I thought it was a busted blood vessel or something really bad, but after massaging a minute or so the knot went down. No numbness to my toes or coldness in my leg. So whatever it was it went back to normal. Today the swelling is way down and my leg has signs of bruising.

I think I was extremely lucky on Monday. I did have my PFD on but I was not harnessed to the boat. Lesson learned - wait until I enter the outer harbor before taking the sails down.
-----
Might want to think putting transmission in neutral under these circumstances. Don't ever want to watch the boat chug away and leave the owner in the wake.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I can't say that I anticipated any of the various mishaps that have happened to me in over 50 years of sailing. However, I do find thoughtful tips on these pages and in sailing and boating publications. Here is one that will make Jackdaw and other racers faint: even on races, I refuse to remove my sixty pounds of tools and spares from under the V-berth, despite whining and horror from crew and other racers. Those spares and tools have gotten me out of so many jams over the years, they have become just another boating component like the auxiliary or battery bank. A very many years ago, I used to bring tools from home and back. I finally dumped out all the tools from that box and purchased duplicates and made that a part of the boat. I have a very useful set now and rarely bring anything from home. I also have some wood and aluminum stock and cable cutters.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Like Rick D, I keep tools on the boat along with some spare parts. I haven’t had many “what ifs” over the years, but the spares and tools have saved the day at times. Spare blocks and sheets have proven useful, once when the mainsheet jammed between the sheave and block body on a sloppy jibe, and another when a jib car blew apart. A snatch block to the toe rail was a quick remedy.
Then there is the usual shackle clevis pin that goes over the side, or the winch handle that does the same.
I have a neighbor whom I swear has everything short of a complete machine shop on board.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Sheesh Warren, must you now get me thinking, too? Glad that your injuries were not major as they could have been, or worse become separated from your boat.

Seldom think about what I might do as a solo sailor when this or that might happen. Sailing in the protected waters of the PNW perhaps have let some complacency seep in. I seem to worry more about whether the beer is cold enough, or where on earth did I stow the smoked salmon, or ...

Lots of spares on the boat (filters, impellers, belts, blocks, etc.) as well as tools, and off shore gear that I have never installed or used. There was a time when the main got jammed half way up, but a short trip into a marina nearby found a mast monkey willing to unjam the halyard for a pittance. That happening in the open ocean miles away from help, well complicated. I've been up the mast some number of times, but with help. Solo, another matter. Push come to shove I suppose I could have released the halyard from the head cringle letting the main drop, but...

Then what could have happened had I not felt the boat drifting in a blow when the mooring ring cut through my mooring line, or when I'm ashore enjoying the local festival and notice Belle-Vie at anchor is moving toward the rock breakwater and about to be on the rocks. What if...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have had a few of those "oh, sh*t moments..
- killed the batteries on a sail by adding too much distilled water...so no way to start the engine
- fouled the prop with a rope I was dragging behind the boat " in case I fell over"
- lost a pin in the main sheet traveller
- lost a pin in one of the lower shrouds at the chain plate..notice the shroud swinging in the wind

In all cases, for me, the key was not to loose my cool...

what can I do right now to fix the issue? For the traveler, round up and get a pin in the traveler.

What do I need to do not make it worse? In the case of the shroud...stay on that tack until I can stick the pin back in.

Can I get help? For the dead batteries, sailed back to the marina and called my buddy to tow me back to the fuel dock where I pulled the battery out of my car to start the auxiliary and get the boat in the slip.

For the fouled prop, I tried to sail in to the fuel dock, but just could not do it. Eventually someone came out and towed me to the fuel dock. In retrospect, I could have dropped the anchor and dove on the prop outside of the marina....but I was not thinking that clearly

Greg

Dec 25, 2000
PLAN "B"
Yes, that was a close call. Local boaters have managed to fill the harbor with mooring balls, forcing visiting boaters to anchor further out. My old anchor spot on the east side of Ganges Harbor, now taken over by a mooring ball, caused me to find a spot over by the old fishing marina breakwater where I've never before anchored. Got a good set and settled in for the night with Patti my wife, and our oldest son and his two kids from Texas. A blow came in that night, but the boat did not move.

Saturday was farmer's market day with lots of locals coming together for food and entertainment. We dingy motored the short distance from the boat to the dock and join in the fun. The kids enjoy the play ground park. By early afternoon the wind has really picked up. I can see Belle-Vie's mast in the distance and check it periodically just to make sure she stays put.

Mid afternoon the wind has increased considerably. I just happened to glance over and see that Belle-Vie has decided to come over and join in the festivities. I tell Patti I gotta go and make a mad dash for the dinghy. These docks use wooden planks for covering and as I come up on the dinghy, my toe catches the edge of one of the planks and down I go. My son helps me up and we get to Belle-Vie just before she reaches the boulder breakwater. Engine fires right up and I make way forward in order to bring up the anchor.

My son takes the helm as I work to bring up the anchor, which is very difficult due to the wind pressure. Finally, the anchor appears and behold, wedged across between the flukes and shank is an inch and a half thick by eight foot long piece of steel cable. I figure that this cable prevented the flukes from digging in deeper as the wind piped up causing the anchor to drag. In the past our Danforth has always done good job of digging in deeper and deeper as the wind pressure increases.

Needless to say, we managed to move Belle-Vie out of harms way just in the nick of time. That was a close call and has caused me to ponder, on more than one occasion, what if?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great Story Terry... I was right there with you until the toe trip... Any scars?

Dec 25, 2000
Great Story Terry... I was right there with you until the toe trip... Any scars?
Thanks John. Banged up my right elbow pretty good as I landed on it. Left some blood and meat on the dock, but finally healed. No scars that I can tell. My system was so charged I never felt anything at the time until later. Also lost one of my camera batteries in the process. Other than that, I suppose some will suggest perhaps a new anchor is in the cards. On that note, a new vehicle would be nice, too, but our 1991 Vanagon that we purchased new still runs.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Fortunately I don't worry about what if's. When the time comes I know I have to make it back. I've had few mishaps. Been out in bad weather but all in all I seem to get away with it. I lock all hatches when the sails go up. No sense in falling into the cabin. I have a safe point to tie my harness with enough line to keep me aboard and no more. Times that would make normal people pucker up are times I think of as an "adventure" and "fun". Been sailing from Catalina to MDR in 50 knot winds in a 22' sailboat. When I surfed into the inlet and was sailing in to my slip the Coast Guard came over to tell me they would not go out there to bring me in. I laughed in their faces and they left. Got caught in a squall with wife off Government cut. Had enough sense to stay out in it rather than go into a white water inlet. Wife kept her eyes shut and did not say a word. It got a bit wet. We finally came in at snake creek in the keys.

I follow these rules.
Move slowly, keep Keel down, all hatches closed, ski vest on, harness on, sails up, roller furled sail unfurled, motor off. Watch tide, current, wind and wind direction. Observe behavior of other boats. Check all shrouds and stays at least every six months. If in doubt, replace it. Make sure no hatches leak. replace thru-hulls every two years. Keep boat in shape to bring me back. Disconnect fuel line, Run motor until if runs out of fuel. Do not store motor or tank with fuel in it. Follow mfgrs engine maintenance schedule.

I have all lines led to cockpit. When it's time to lower mainsail I release the line and she come down. I pull the line and in furls the jib. The anchor is in the cockpit. I have EPIRB in my belt and DSC VHF radios on board.

I'm really sorry about your mishaps. I am sure in the end they make you better sailors.

Thankfully all my f_c_ups are with trailering. I have had some really scary sh_t with trailers and dealer maintained, recently repacked, bearings. I now am adverse to sticking wheels into salt water. I also do not like trailers of any kind. They are out to kill me.

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Like Rick D, I keep tools on the boat along with some spare parts. I haven’t had many “what ifs” over the years, but the spares and tools have saved the day at times. Spare blocks and sheets have proven useful, once when the mainsheet jammed between the sheave and block body on a sloppy jibe, and another when a jib car blew apart. A snatch block to the toe rail was a quick remedy.
Then there is the usual shackle clevis pin that goes over the side, or the winch handle that does the same.
I have a neighbor whom I swear has everything short of a complete machine shop on board.
Here is one that will make Jackdaw and other racers faint: even on races, I refuse to remove my sixty pounds of tools and spares from under the V-berth, despite whining and horror from crew and other racers. Those spares and tools have gotten me out of so many jams over the years, they have become just another boating component like the auxiliary or battery bank. A very many years ago, I used to bring tools from home and back. I finally dumped out all the tools from that box and purchased duplicates and made that a part of the boat. I have a very useful set now and rarely bring anything from home. I also have some wood and aluminum stock and cable cutters.
Question for you guys?
How do you keep your tools on board from corroding? I too keep a set of tools on board in a plastic tool box in the quarter berth. Last time I lost the water pump at sea, I went to swap out to my spare, and my Stanley 1/2" socket wrench handle was froze at both the retention ball and the ratchet mechanism. I managed to beat the socket onto the handle with a hammer, but then still had to manually wrench it since the ratchet was frozen. This was stored in its original case inside the plastic tool box.
Several of the individual sockets showed surface rust as well.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Question for you guys?
How do you keep your tools on board from corroding? I too keep a set of tools on board in a plastic tool box in the quarter berth. Last time I lost the water pump at sea, I went to swap out to my spare, and my Stanley 1/2" socket wrench handle was froze at both the retention ball and the ratchet mechanism. I managed to beat the socket onto the handle with a hammer, but then still had to manually wrench it since the ratchet was frozen. This was stored in its original case inside the plastic tool box.
Several of the individual sockets showed surface rust as well.
I have never had much of a problem. I do spray them or wipe them with with Corrosion Block. However, on the whole, the only problem is when I have had to immerse them in salt water. If I rinse them well, not a problem. The number one issue is with screwdriver bits that rust and jam. The socket set is an Ace Hardware one about 15 years old. No issues. The tools are in a plastic tool box except for the sockets, extra long screwdrivers, cable cutter, hack saw and LiPo drill. It may be the humidity where you are at. I do try very hard to manage the humidity inside the boat.