Photoday! Show your boat, anchored.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Precision anchoring, that's my thing. I have quite a few favorite anchorages within a day sail of home. The ones that I know from experience; the protection, the currents, the bottom, there is little room for error on anchor placement, to keep off the ground.

For instance, at low water, this is a common sight at one of my favorite overnights, Perry Creek.

When it seemed a ghost spun the wheel in the cockpit, I realized I was a little closer than I wanted to be. As the boat turned with the tidal current direction, my rudder just brushed the bottom. Not the first time.

Precision anchoring LW (1 of 1).jpg

Odd feeling with the depth sounder reading 14', under the mast step. All this info gets filed away in my memory - plus a GPS location pin on the CP - for the next time. After years of overnighting in this tidal bowl, I know it quite well, but there's always room for more precision.

If you ask, "Why take the risk?", I guess I don't have an answer for you.

There are 'destination moorings' (another thread,...), in Perry Creek, and a few are always available. The open basin is beautiful too. We sometimes overnight among the boats below.

Perry Creek 2017 (1 of 1).jpg

But there is something special about 'our spot'.
Precision anchoring (1 of 1).jpg

I've given directions to many friends, "Go up Perry Creek until you start to get nervous. Our spot is about 100 yards beyond that."

Sometimes it's taken but I'm surprised how often it's available. I should mention the current scrubbed bottom: The holding is a little sketchy,...

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
We've not ventured very far afield yet, and haven't had anyone photograph our boat underway, but I do have this one, from our very first cruise, a week long jaunt from St. Pete to Charlotte Harbor and back. This is in Sarasota:
1126161726.jpg

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Charlie, there is also a Taylors Creek in Beaufort NC, that runs along the waterfront of "downtown". Was just there last week visiting family, so unfortunately was boatless.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Charlie, there is also a Taylors Creek in Beaufort NC, that runs along the waterfront of "downtown". Was just there last week visiting family, so unfortunately was boatless.
Yep- been anchored in there several times. Used to be a great spaghetti place on the street there :)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Not anchored, but an interesting observation in the powers of persuasion. Here was one of the major selling points with the admiral for replacing the MacGregor. (Which is still a perfectly fine craft in my opinion)
IMG_4096.JPG