Photo Day! Signs of summer in New England

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Same here Craig, we just went back into the deep freeze after a week of warm, sunny weather. It tricked me into thinking it was time to start to work on boat projects. I'm back to digging around for parts to replace my exhausted exhaust.

I have some extra's DArcy. I ended up ordering it through my local supplier. Home Depot had the stuff but it was lighter(and cheaper). I'm waiting for one more threaded fitting. I had to re-create the riser, several times. I think I finally have something that will work.

You're just re-creating what is there? Is that your exhaust manifold flange on the right? Are you saving that?

How about the rubber hose: Is that the length that goes into the muffler? I don't have much room between my riser and muffler, is why I ask.

How many seasons did this one last?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I have some extra's DArcy. I ended up ordering it through my local supplier. Home Depot had the stuff but it was lighter(and cheaper). I'm waiting for one more threaded fitting. I had to re-create the riser, several times. I think I finally have something that will work.

You're just re-creating what is there? Is that your exhaust manifold flange on the right? Are you saving that?

How about the rubber hose: Is that the length that goes into the muffler? I don't have much room between my riser and muffler, is why I ask.

How many seasons did this one last?
I'm going to try and salvage the flange but I can get a new one for $80 if necessary but getting it shipped to Canada will probably end up CDN$150, or I could probably have one made locally for less than that. I need to recreate this entire assembly, as close as possible. This one only lasted 42 years!
I'm heading to a plumbing store to see if they have anything better than Home Depot. I haven't figured out the water injection nipple yet. I haven't found anything off the shelf with a 1-1/4" NPT pipe and water injection nipple. I may just braze the nipple to a piece of pipe but it has been many years since I've done any brazing. The hose is a little over 5" long, not much to take up any misalignment to the muffler.