Perkins Prima M50 - Volvo MD22

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
Any experience with this engine? Most specifically in terms of maintenance and obtaining spare parts.

I am aware that it is a modified Leyland O-Series gasoline engine, was put into a sedan and wagon called the Rover Montego from about 1984 to 1995, and was marinized by Perkins UK, with several horsepower ratings depending on rated rpm. In Europe it was commonly used in small craft as 50 and 60 hp variants and gained a reputation for quiet running and excellent economy. As a Perkins unit it does not seem to have been widely used in North America, but possibly the Volvo-badged version was?

Any further information on its practicality as an engine would be appreciated.

perkins.jpg

Jul 30, 2019
Thanks Brian and Rich. Any opinions on timing belts, their life and replacement?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have this engine as the Volvo MD22L-B in my h40.5. My engine starts instantly and runs strong. The only issue I have with this engine is that it uses oil (about 1 pint every 50 hours IIRC) and smokes at startup and then very lightly at fully-warmed up speeds. This is not something new; it has done this since new in 1998. I think it is a class problem because the East Coast Volvo tech rep replaced my engine after the first year and while this engine smokes less, it still uses oil.

Maintenance is simply oil and filter changes annually and antifreeze changes every 5 years. I did have the starter fail 2 years ago (2700 hours) and that was the only major maintenance issue I have had. Currently have 2800 hours on the engine. Volvo parts are very expensive but readily available from a Volvo dealer. Parts4Engines in the UK is definitely the way to go. I'm not sure if parts are more expensive than Yanmar or Westerbeke because I have seen horrible prices from them as well.

I think ease of access, or lack thereof, would be the main factor for easy maintenance. I have attached the factory maintenance manual to this post.

Attachments

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Thanks Brian and Rich. Any opinions on timing belts, their life and replacement?
I replaced the timing belt at 1600 hours. With a couple of alignment pins it is an easy job if you have open access to the front of the engine. I replaced the belt, tensioner, and idler all at the same time. There is a good picture story on how to do this that I have attached.

Attachments

• Helpful
Jul 30, 2019
Wow! What can I say except Thanks a Million, Rich!

The step-by-step on the belt replacement looks to be outstanding. I shall have a good look at it, but certainly this does not seem to be an engine to fear.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Parts4engines is great, also Perkins is owned by Caterpillar and parts can be ordered locally. I have purchased locally genuine perkins fuel and oil filters cheap.I have also bought from Trans Atlantic diesels and when the parts came they had Northern lights P/N on them. Northern lights used perkins motors for their generators.
Also battlefield equipment rental is the Caterpillar rental Division ,for parts

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 440 Huntington
I just ordered from Sheri at Trans Atlantic Diesel. I have the Perkins Prima as well and has probably 3000 hours on it (gauge stopped working at 1727) and the timing belt is due. I am also going to check the tube stack in the heat exchange.

In my research I was also advised to replace the water pump when doing the timing belt. Attaching the Perkins workshop manual for your reference. Everyone says its an easy job but not being a mechanic and having not yet performed the operation I could not say but it does not appear too complicated.

best of luck

Attachments

Jul 13, 2009
Parker Skipjack 37 Clearwater
Does anyone have a user manual (OMM) for Prima 50 ? Maybe a pdf attachment?? Thanks I bought a 1990 Beneteau 41s5 with a Prima 50 and the OMM user manual is all mildewed and cant be read. Thanks georgetheleo@hotmail.com

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have this engine as the Volvo MD22L-B in my h40.5. My engine starts instantly and runs strong. The only issue I have with this engine is that it uses oil (about 1 pint every 50 hours IIRC) and smokes at startup and then very lightly at fully-warmed up speeds.
i have same engine, less hours, but very little oil use or carbonization.
One white puff at start, no smoke later.

I switched to full synthetic Diesel engine oil 3 yrs ago. Oil is still clear after 600 hours.
But Rich motors in cooler waters than we do.
Only part I have needed is the Oil Filters.
Jim...

Jun 4, 2022
Arends 33 Glenelg
i have same engine, less hours, but very little oil use or carbonization.
One white puff at start, no smoke later.

I switched to full synthetic Diesel engine oil 3 yrs ago. Oil is still clear after 600 hours.
But Rich motors in cooler waters than we do.
Only part I have needed is the Oil Filters.
Jim...
Hi Jim, could I ask how long you have owned the boat for and at what stage did you change to synthetic oil (hours etc), I have been told these older engines should only have mineral oils? Regards Brad

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have owned the boat since Jan 2014. Engine hours at that time was ≈820.
After a long investigation on Full Synthetics engine oils, I switched in late 2016 with Engine hours ≈950

Not sure what engine you run or its hours, but this may work for you.

Shell Rotella® T6 15W-40 Full Synthetic

Jim...

Jun 4, 2022
Arends 33 Glenelg
I have owned the boat since Jan 2014. Engine hours at that time was ≈820.
After a long investigation on Full Synthetics engine oils, I switched in late 2016 with Engine hours ≈950

Not sure what engine you run or its hours, but this may work for you.

Jim...
Many thanks for the info Jim, I am in South Australia, I have a Perkins Prima50M 1800hrs, mine also blows quite a bit of smoke on start up and it clears a little when underway, it also uses oil ( 1/2 Lt/10 hours approx) a mechanic friend said he would be reluctant to use synthetic oil in an engine of older variety, I was very interested in your post especially if it cleared up the smoke blowing, Regards Brad

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My MD22L was made by Perkins in 1997.
_____
a mechanic friend said he would be reluctant to use synthetic oil in an engine of older variety
I have heard that many times. I can not advise you more than you friend.

When I researched it with 3 diesel mechanics, they were like your friend, not sure or reluctant.
If you show your friend the info, video and specifications from this link

He may be less reluctant.
I found zero items in my MD22l in which oil comes in contact with internal components the might be a problem.

This may be a bit technical, but explains the Chemistry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Why Synthetics do not smoke as much?

Normal oil is refined and leaves waxes from crude oil.

Synthetics are NOT made from Crude Oil.

I hope this helps...
Jim...

Nov 20, 2021
Beneteau OC 400 Jews bay
Howdy,
Revisiting my M50. It's in my Oceanis 400.
I had left a fuel hose (w/pump ball) in the 6 gal jug of diesel and now I see the hose has contaminated the jug. Main tank offline til I make another 'sender type" hole in otherside main tank to finish cleaning. I saw the engine run 10 15 seconds like 2018 ??
Thanks covid. I've turned her over a number of times and at one point sounded like hitting on 1 cylinder.
New plan... 2 gal jug fresh diesel, long brass nipple/elbow/nipple to start clean, remove fuel filter assembly, flush system & replace filter. I see it has black screw thingy on bottom so I assume it's a separator as well.
If no joy I'm going for injector clean.

Any thoughts?