Pedestal guard replacement

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
Has anyone found a replacement to the rather weird/small integrated pedestal "guard" that's on the 311 and I believe other boats of that vintage?

I've put a Ram mount on it to mount an MFD, but would much rather extend it up a bit, and buy a pod or other device. Having the Ram mount is flexible and great, but now people moving about the cockpit are afraid to grab the pedestal when needed, and I think that's caused a bit of a safety issue.

It's about 10.5" wide center to center, which doesn't match the Edson, Whitlock or other guard replacements out there from Ocean Equipment and others. I can't seem to find any other info out in my rather exhaustive internet searches, so wondering if folks here have found a replacement or had to have something made.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Have a look at the Garhauer site. If what you want doesn't exist, call and speak to Guido. He can, and will make it for you and not for a zillion bucks either.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
I have an Ocean Equipment Rail Mount RMX10 with a NavPod mounted on the Rail Mount. http://www.oceanequipment.com/railmounts/
You are limited in the size of display you can use if you want to be able to comfortably walk forward of the pedestal on the side you mount the the stuff. I can post a photo of mine later today if you wish.
Call Ocean Equipment they are very helpful I spoke to the owner of the company, he explained how to mix and parts to make it work.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You can make the Ocean Equipment guard work with your existing holes, use the feet adapters you see on my mount, they cover the wider centers, and extend the bar deep into your console -bolt it down low for plenty of strength. The hand grip is below the pod, or on top.
OceanEquip angle guard.jpg

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
View attachment 119765 I was on the boat so I took a picture
I looked at a solution like this, but that really impedes someone's ability to move around that side of the wheel area on my boat. I even ordered the same one you have, thinking I could futz with it somehow not to get in the way, but ended up returning it.

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
You can make the Ocean Equipment guard work with your existing holes, use the feet adapters you see on my mount, they cover the wider centers, and extend the bar deep into your console -bolt it down low for plenty of strength. The hand grip is below the pod, or on top.
View attachment 119768

That's a great solution! I have not liked how much mine moves when you grab it, and looking inside it's clear why. I'd definitely have to ensure I could run it far enough down inside without hitting anything else in the way. Great idea, definitely my top choice for now!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Checked my original parts invoice and that is EXACTLY what I used, the 9.5" guard. Shows as PN: AG115 (9.5"x 1.25" x 58") . The feet were special ordered 1.25" feet from OE/NavPod, they give a second strong attachment at the top of the console. Think you are on the right track. I regularly pull my full 215lbs off the leeward seat using that bar.

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
Checked my original parts invoice and that is EXACTLY what I used, the 9.5" guard. Shows as PN: AG115 (9.5"x 1.25" x 58") . The feet were special ordered 1.25" feet from OE/NavPod, they give a second strong attachment at the top of the console. Think you are on the right track. I regularly pull my full 215lbs off the leeward seat using that bar.
Perfect, that's what I thought. I really like this idea especially hearing you can use it as a proper way to get up and move about. I emailed OE about a NavPod and details behind this, but more specifically for my Raymarine eS78 which is not listed on their site yet.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I suppose you know this but the pod also comes with a solid faceplate, you cut the opening you need. I note that they also now make a pre-cut for my MFD - Simrad NSE12.

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
Just ordered my kit from Ocean Equipment. Should be here tomorrow!

I went with a System Pod, Model #GP1504, which comes pre-cut for my Raymarine, and has a spot next to it for my VHF wireless handset. Also got AG118, the Angle Guard with the feet.

Looking forward to install this weekend!

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
No pictures or updates yet - FedEx has seemingly lost my shipment somewhere in Oakland, CA (I'm in Seattle, WA) and I am waiting to find out more on Monday.