Pedestal guard installation

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Hello;
I would like to install a pedestal guard on my H260 as opportunity to mount instrument housings, etc. By searching for guards I have found the following most common measures.

center to center width: 9.5"
tubing: 1" or 1.25"
high: 54" to 62"

Stylewise there are three different types:
straight, single bend (slanted ) and double bend (bends back and straight again)

http://www.pyacht.com/navpod-pedestal-guards.htm
http://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pr+napTP125

It appears to me that a 1.25" tube would give good stability. The question is more which height and style. Slanted or double bend would give a little more space, not having the instruments directly in my face.

What is your experience/opinion? Does the top plate fit the pedestal? Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2010
Hunter 34 Rose Haven MD
You need to be sure that the plate fits into your pedestal since not all are the same. Almost nothing fits the Merriman Yacht Specialties pedestal Hunter put on my H34 since Merriman went out of business. I am having to make a plate out of starboard and mount it to the outside of the binnacle. Best of luck with your project!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I was just about to add a similar question. Looking forward to lots of input. Thanks for posting, Regular Guy!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Regular Guy;

The pedestal steering is from Edson. I forget the specific pedestal but you may want to call Edson and tell them you have the Hunter 260 and be very specific on the Hunter 260 plus year telling them it is not the earlier 26.

Kermit is right. Go with the kit from Edson. Height is the decision and of course straight or tilted forward at the top. If adding electronics, then tilted may be suggested. As to height, that will be a choice. If adding a forward table, you may want to go with the straight tube but make sure the added folding table clears the mainsheet.

Ok guys, anyone out there can remember the wheel system. Also check with this site. There is very little anyone makes on these items from Edson as not much dealer discount is given.

crazy dave condon

Jan 18, 2014
Thank you Dave for the advice!
I spoke with the Edson’s customer service and got following information.
The Hunter 260 was equipped with the #336 Edson Wheel Steering System. They could not say for sure maybe the first boats were equipped with the #335.
But both pedestal steering system have the 6 7⁄8“diameter top in common, so it does not matter which, both use the same 6 7/8” top plate.
For the case someone wants to put a wheel steering system on their boat here the link: http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinestore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=84_91_255_256_260

Pedestal Guard:
Edson has 3 kits fitting the H260. They are all 58”in height, come complete with 1 1/8” guard, top plate and feet, all in stainless steel, includes also mounting material.

The three styles are:
Straight: 1600-45-58S $359
Angled: 1620-45-58A $379
Double Bend: 1610-45-58OS $389

See Online Store http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinestore/
Put 1600, 1610 or 1620 into the search box.

I will probably go with the angled version.

Jan 18, 2014
Got the guard kid delivered. It came with plate and feet in chrome, nice and solid looking.
To install, I opened the cover plate under the pedestal from the aft berth; I looked at a layer of fiberglass, no access to the pedestal socket where the holes for the guard feet and wire have to be drilled.
I assume it has to be cut an opening into the fiberglass. The opening has later to be sealed again, right? Has someone done that before. Please, can someone give me advice it is very appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Regular Guy;

You need to take care of the water problem first. Shanker refers to an article from Jim Seamons. I told Jim four boats over the years to include the 260 and he knows the boat well. You can lean on the two of us for additional help. I hope Jimbo is reading this you rascal and Jim, give me a holler.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
The PO mounted the pedestal guard using a flange with a center screw. It works fine to hold the guard, but did not allow me to run wires through the guard for the instruments I propose to mount at the helm. I have since purchased flanges that mount to the cockpit floor with screws on the outside. This allows me to run wires from below though the middle of the flange and up each side of the guard. One side will be NMEA and the other 12v. While one is never thrilled at the prospect of trading 1 hole for 5 in a boat, if I properly bed and seal them, it should be OK.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Hello; I would like to install a pedestal guard on my H260 as opportunity to mount instrument housings, etc. By searching for guards I have found the following most common measures. center to center width: 9.5" tubing: 1" or 1.25" high: 54" to 62" Stylewise there are three different types: straight, single bend (slanted ) and double bend (bends back and straight again) http://www.pyacht.com/navpod-pedestal-guards.htm http://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pr+napTP125 It appears to me that a 1.25" tube would give good stability. The question is more which height and style. Slanted or double bend would give a little more space, not having the instruments directly in my face. What is your experience/opinion? Does the top plate fit the pedestal? Thanks.
I replaced the 1" pedestal guard on my 37c with 1 1/4". Did It cause I bought the single lever engine control which needed the larger tube for shift and throttle cables. Came with a great looking plate which fFit My edson pedestal perfectly. I put on a nav pod. HINT mount your chart plotter on a swiveling, tilting mount. Not fixed in a nav pod. As far as height goes sit at the helm. Have the shortest person likely to drive your boat sit there. Nice to have stuff near eye level. Also nice to see where you are going.

Jan 18, 2014
The access hole is done.

Thanks for all the info and pictures.
Today I drilled the access hole, 20" from the main sheet u-bold, for the case someone wants to know (pic 4). Now I can reach where the bolts for the guard feet have to be drilled through and the nuts have to be tightened.

On a side note:
I wished my pedestal model would allow to put on a wheel brake, missed it when sailing alone. Edson says that is unfortunately not possible to install with the pedestal Hunter has mounted. Will talk to them what it will take to get the brake installed.

My steering cable had lots of slack. The adjuster nuts where all loose and not countered, bad maintenance (or none) by the PO. And the worse almost all cotter pins on the steering cable wheels (gasoline tank lazarette) where not bended back and on the way to fall out. My steering system could have easily failed. Something really to check for!
Hart

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
On my 260 I have a straight guard with a starboard table. Your picture shows a single lever and a wheel brake on the front. My installation has a brake knob on the side and a second lever for fwd, rev.
I do not think that a brake helps on this boat for solo sailing as any change in the wind causes the boat to want to round up due to its fine keel and daggerboard rudder. An auto pilot would be the best solution.
I find that adding X-treme angle fair leads to your cam cleats and long enought jib sheets help single hand from the helm, in light to moderate winds.
I am going to add an inspection hatch under my pedestal, as inspection and bolt tightening from the fuel locker is next to impossible. What did you use to cut the inspection hole.
Also the cables for the compass binnacle and any chartplotter or fishfinder electrical wires you install sit just above the steering chain with no cover. Take a plastic lid from a container and cut a few holes in it and install over the pedestal below the binnacle to keep the wires out of the way for piece of mind.

Attachments

Jan 18, 2014
MaxinCalgary;
Thank you for your contribution. There is no wheel brake on my pedestal. Right side is the throttle and the lever in front is for reverse-neutral-forward. I am wondering that you say you do have a brake since Edson said it was not possible to install one on our stock pedestal.

I agree it needs an inspection port under the pedestal, even without having an guard installed. The bolts, cable, wheel/roller, etc. can so easily be checked on. I ordered my 6" clear lid port from duckworks.com.

The hole was cut with a 6-3/8" Milwaukee 'recessed light hole saw' from Home Depot. This saw seemed to fit perfectly for that size of access port. The saw has not the usual teeth, it has instead little carbide-grid pieces glued on. It cut through the thick plywood/fiberglass wall like butter and took me maybe one minute for a perfect hole.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...ht-Hole-Saw-49-56-0305/202327775?N=5yc1vZc268

Thanks for reminding me to re-rout and secure the electrical wire for interfering with the steering cables. I have to do more re-wiring, the radio speakers, etc. are loosely wired from the PO cross through all lazarettes.

I would like to hear more about improving the helm for solo sailing, you mentioned about auto pilot and x-treme angle fair leads for the jib sheets. I like your table.
Hart

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
I believe I have a wheel brake on my pedestal. I will be at the boat next weekend and I will check to determine if it is indeed a wheel brake. If I remember correctly, it looks like a threaded bolt that sticks out on the starboard side of the pedestal and it is bent into a loop on the end.

I also have my motor controls on each side of the pedestal. Engine on the starboard side and forward reverse on the port side.

Canada going for hockey GOLD tomorrow!!!!!!

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
If you look at my picture of my wheel , just below the right throttle lever you can see my steering brake. On some edson wheels the lever on the front . Is the brake. My Forward , reverse and neutral is on the left side .
The brake is a set of pads that clamp down by the knob on the steering shaft.
Thanks for the info . I will pick up the hole bit from Home Depot.

Jan 18, 2014
Pedestal guard instalation

MaxinCalgary;
If you don't have, you need also an attachment, it was $15, connecting the ring saw to your drilling machine. It hangs directly beside the saw at the store. Watch it, they come for different sizes, make sure to get the one for up to 6 3/8".

Jim,
Thanks for your input. I have read your helpful installation description before I started my project. My guard is angled and 58" high. I am going to cut it about 2" shorter. Ordered a water proofed box to mount the navigation instrument. Also I have decided to route the wire through the starboard side of the guard, want only one hole through the floor, not two.

Regarding the wheel brake; Edson told me I would need a new shaft. Maybe your boats were ordered with brake and another pedestal shaft was mounted to accommodate that.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Regular guy;

Jim Seamons had a 260 as I sold it to him. The fellow at Edison is full of fiddlesticks. You can add a wheel brake to the pedestal. Look under the mods. I put that wheel brake on. However, take care of water problem first. I know you want to do a lot but suggest that you tackle one issue at a time.

crazy dave condon

Jan 18, 2014
Edson Steering Wheel Brake

I have opened a new thread "Edson Steering Wheel Brake" to separate the brake issue from the pedestal guard installation, which is still in progress.