Pearson Ports

Mar 14, 2012
I've done it on my P32. Wasn't to bad, and much drier now. Would've happy to share what I learned and did.

ed

Jun 29, 2014
Pearson 34 Falmouth
I've done it on my P32. Wasn't to bad, and much drier now. Would've happy to share what I learned and did.

ed
Ed
Thank you for your reply to my question. Did you re-bed the existing ports or install new ports?
The screws around our ports do not dead end, they continue to rotate and I am sue we have rot. Any suggestions you might have would be gratefully received.
Doug

Jan 22, 2016
Pearson 34 Isleton, CA
I paid $2k to have those four ports replaced last fall. they had to re-bed them and also used stronger plexiglass. no more leaks! but it was expensive to have somebody else do the work. This was the four fixed ports.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Doug,

What manufacturer of ports? Am I correct in thinking these are the opening ones?

Also, this forum has a private message function, so it's not a good idea to post your email as written, ever, on any forum for your own internet security. If you want to, then use xyz att abc dott com. I find posting emails in a topic tends to be counterproductive, since the beauty of these forums is to share information, right here.

If you let us know what kind of ports, we can most likely point you in a more specific direction and might be able to find photo essays on just those ports. For example, if they are Becksons, I have just the links for you.

Good luck.

Nov 15, 2014
Pearson P-34 Norfolk
Stu, I replaced my fixed ports on my P34 this past fall with new ports from the same manufacturer. If these are the ports you are talking about I'd be glad to tell you what I know about the process. It took about 1.5 hours for each port and was not bad but its a two-person job for sure!

Jam

Sep 29, 2015
Island Packet 31 Hilton Head Island, SC
Sailing gestalt,
Where did you obtain the replacement ports for the P34? I Don't know manufacturer of current ports on 1989 P34-2 as they were installed by a previous owner - no records. Thanks.

Nov 15, 2014
Pearson P-34 Norfolk
I have a 1985 P34 not the 34-2 so I'm not sure they are the same... But, I got mine from Beckson Marine (http://www.beckson.com/newport.html) the style was PF525. Attached are some before/after photos. It took about 1.5 hours each (remove old window, scrape, clean, sand, re-drill the holes, fiddle with the barrel nuts (a real pain) put down the new bedding compound and tighten her up. So far no leaks and they look a heck of a lot better than the old cracked ones! I ordered these from Defender.com for $251.99 per pair so it was not too painful... actually cheaper to order from Defender than from Beckson directly. If you have any other questions I'll be happy to answer! Oh, by the way, the forward ports (opening ports) are also by Beckson and can be found on the same website. I've rewedded one, took about an hour. If I end up replacing those ports I'm considering ones from Newfoundmetals.com. Good luck on your project!

IMG_1033.jpg

Jam

Sep 29, 2015
Island Packet 31 Hilton Head Island, SC
Thanks for the info. Ports look very similar so likely the same. You did a great job, they look fantastic. Are frames aluminum? What are the panes made of and I am assuming each port comes complete with frame and pane, correct?

Nov 15, 2014
Pearson P-34 Norfolk
The frames are poly and feel very sturdy and most importantly will flex with the boat. The panes are rather thick and appear to be Lexan or Plexi but I'm not sure which. Sorry I don't have better answers for you there. They are the exact replacement and I figure I got 30 years from the last so if I only get half that with these I'll be happy!