Pearson 39-2 survey

Oct 4, 2013
Pearson 39-2 Baltimore
So I just had this 1987 original owner Pearson 39-2 CB surveyed yesterday. Boat is beautifully maintained and interior is beautiful, but here are some concerns

-multiple wet (NO SOFT) spots on the deck-walkways and aft of the anchor locker. Picked up by moisture meter and hammer

-original standing rigging (looks and sailed OK but how long can this possibly last?) Surveyor says looks ok but should be replaced to be safe since it is 27 years old.

-needs new main

-engine runs well but has 3600 hours.

-no autopilot

I plan on taking the boat offshore after cruising for a year or two in the bay. Should I walk away from this boat or just offer the owner a little less (ie is the deck a serious structural problem or problem waiting to happen?)

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
The decks can get wet inboard of the sail track... that were mine were wet.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jump on this boat. Do NOT walk away. It sounds like what you're seeing is a well maintained boat that needs a relatively TINY amount of work. Good luck.

Apr 29, 2013
Pearson 26 Oneida Lake, eventually
Walk away... and give me the current owner's contact information.... ;)

Dec 2, 2012
Pearson 39-2 New London
So I just had this 1987 original owner Pearson 39-2 CB surveyed yesterday. Boat is beautifully maintained and interior is beautiful, but here are some concerns

-multiple wet (NO SOFT) spots on the deck-walkways and aft of the anchor locker. Picked up by moisture meter and hammer

-original standing rigging (looks and sailed OK but how long can this possibly last?) Surveyor says looks ok but should be replaced to be safe since it is 27 years old.

-needs new main

-engine runs well but has 3600 hours.

-no autopilot

I plan on taking the boat offshore after cruising for a year or two in the bay. Should I walk away from this boat or just offer the owner a little less (ie is the deck a serious structural problem or problem waiting to happen?)
Did you ever buy the boat??? I love my '87.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I know of one here that is for sale at a great price and fully equipped 65,000.

Oct 4, 2013
Pearson 39-2 Baltimore
Pearson 39-2

Did you ever buy the boat??? I love my '87.
Yes, I bought it and sailed it up to Baltimore where it is winterized now. Boat really ended up being in beautiful condition and the original owner gave me all the original manuals (a whole shelf full) in near new condition along with the blueprints from the builder. If you ever know someone who needs some information from the manufacturer, I'd be happy to share. Only complaint is they removed the original windlass (?) and I am in the process of planning reinstallation of a new one. Looking forward to the spring.:)

Jan 25, 2012
Pearson 39 San Diego
Great to have you in the club. She sails great, yes? Mine did not come with a windlass but does have a baby stay crowding the room between the anchor hatch & stay. I'm considering a Lewmar CPX vertical but it overlaps the hatch slightly. Where was your old windlass installed? A picture of the holes would be great.

Has the boat been replumed? That old grey stuff keeps comming up with new leaks ever time I find & fix one. A new potable poly system is to be installed this spring. Can't win so might as well start anew.

Dec 2, 2012
Pearson 39-2 New London
Yes, I bought it and sailed it up to Baltimore where it is winterized now. Boat really ended up being in beautiful condition and the original owner gave me all the original manuals (a whole shelf full) in near new condition along with the blueprints from the builder. If you ever know someone who needs some information from the manufacturer, I'd be happy to share. Only complaint is they removed the original windlass (?) and I am in the process of planning reinstallation of a new one. Looking forward to the spring.:)
Congratulations! You will love the performance and layout. My wife and I can handle it with no problems and there is a ton of room for two. Mine has never had a windlass and I have toyed with putting one in, but have not yet. I only wish I had one when anchoring in over 25 - 30 feet of water. I have the first wing keel and draw 5' 3" so I anchor a lot in 7 - 9 feet of water. I have 25 ft of chain with a 35 pound CQR, but it is not much trouble pulling anchor in the shallower water. Enjoy her and if you are ever up in Long Island Sound, send me a message.

Oct 4, 2013
Pearson 39-2 Baltimore
grey stuff?

Great to have you in the club. She sails great, yes? Mine did not come with a windlass but does have a baby stay crowding the room between the anchor hatch & stay. I'm considering a Lewmar CPX vertical but it overlaps the hatch slightly. Where was your old windlass installed? A picture of the holes would be great.

Has the boat been replumed? That old grey stuff keeps comming up with new leaks ever time I find & fix one. A new potable poly system is to be installed this spring. Can't win so might as well start anew.
My boat is from 1987 and was never replumed but doesn't appear to need it. WHat is the grey stuff?

Feb 21, 2012
no name 39-3 deale md
Hi,
I'm interested in your blueprints. I have a unfinished 1997 Pearson 39-2 at Herrington harbor north in Anne Arundel county in MD. Willing to travel to pick up.
Thank You
Bob Richardson at 301-518-0106

Dec 2, 2012
Pearson 39-2 New London
Bob,

I am pretty sure I have them, but have not found them yet. They may be with paperwork on the boat. I will keep looking and let you know.

Gary

Oct 4, 2013
Pearson 39-2 Baltimore
Bob-WHats the name of your boat? Might be easiest for me to photograph the blueprints and email to you. The rest of the information is too numerous-it would all have to be taken out of its binders and photocopied. Probably the best option if you want to look at more than the blueprints is to meet you some weekend and you can photograph what you are interested in.

Dec 2, 2012
Pearson 39-2 New London
Hi All,

I have the entire owners manual for a '87 39-2 (except for blueprints and oversized papers) in my drop box. I can share the link if anyone needs them.

Sep 20, 2009
Pearson 39-2 Kittery Point
Bob-WHats the name of your boat? Might be easiest for me to photograph the blueprints and email to you. The rest of the information is too numerous-it would all have to be taken out of its binders and photocopied. Probably the best option if you want to look at more than the blueprints is to meet you some weekend and you can photograph what you are interested in.
Would you have any drawings with details of the rudder assembly? Mine boat is an 87 with minor play in the rudder, but I'd like to take it apart and replace bushings.
Thanks

Dec 2, 2012
Pearson 39-2 New London
I do not have details of the rudder assembly. Mine also has minor play, but only in certain conditions (primarily large chop). I am a little paranoid, as I have a friend with a Pearson 37 whose rudder fell off a couple of years ago in moderate conditions. I have inspected the post and collar where it comes in through the hull, (as well as the chain and cables). I feel confident it is in good condition, but if you do find some detailed drawings, I would be interested in taking a look at them.

Sep 20, 2009
Pearson 39-2 Kittery Point
I'll let you know I find anything. I may end up tearing it apart eventually and I'll post pictures.

Feb 21, 2012
no name 39-3 deale md
No name yet on boat. My email is Robertrichardson54@gmail.com. Thank you for your help. I would love to eyeball your boat and record some details. Can meet any time.