Pearson 36-2 rudder stuffing

Sep 27, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Alameda
Does anyone know how you access the rudder stuffing box on a Pearson 36-2? I see a housing under the steering quadrant but can’t find how you’d replace the stuffing.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey Joe
It’s above the water line....... no stuffing box. There are Delrin bearings though.
Do you have water coming in or just lots of new play?

Greg
Former 36-2 owner

Sep 27, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Alameda
Hey Joe
It’s above the water line....... no stuffing box. There are Delrin bearings though.
Do you have water coming in or just lots of new play?
Hi Greg,
I’ve noticed water drip from above the prop shaft and even water lock muffler. Water comes in when in rough water or sailing. It’s fine when motoring in flat water. It’s salty which is why I was thinking rudder shaft.
Had the prop shaft replaced 9 mos ago and yard told me rudder bearings felt good. Probably never noticed before since I also added a dripless prop seal and area is now much drier.
Joe

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey Joe.... Hope all is going good!
My water lock muffler which was aluminum started leaking and I replaced it with a fiberglass one. Much improved and a direct custom fit.... I forgot the company name but I know I posted about it here...... Dripless shaft seals are great. My new boat has the volvo dripless which is seldom spoken about but a great and simple unit. I never had any issues with the rudder regardless of seas but I guess with a lot of stern slapping it could drive water up..... Have you gone below and felt the rudder shaft after a rough day out??

Greg

Sep 27, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Alameda
Hi Greg
Hope you enjoying your Benni. Yeah, our local boatyard checked the rudder for play when they installed the dripless system. Said it felt rigid and even showed me. They didn’t check for leaks since it only leaks when under pressure due to healing or rough waters.

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
Joe,
If you do a search in this forum for "Replacement Muffler for P 36-2 & 38-2" and you should find my description of the replacement of the muffler. From your description of the water leak, it is from the muffler.

Let me know if you can't find the old post.

Dave
s/v ARIEL