Pearson 36-2 prop recommendatios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bt5178

Apr 11, 2010
Pearson 36-2 San Francisco
Pearson 36-2 prop recommendations

Hello all

I think I'm going to have to replace my 2 bladed prop. It's a 17 x 10 RH 1.25" shaft. I believe it's the original prop that came from the factory in 1985.

Are there any 36-2 owners out there that have replaced their prop? *If so, what did you do? 2 or 3 blade? Fixed, folding or feathering? Bronze or composite?

What about manufacturers? Martec, maxprop, Indigo others?? I just use the boat for day sails on SF bay, so no real special needs and don't want to spend more than I have to. My inclination is to stay with what the boat came with, but I figure I should explore my options.

Of course, if someone has a spare their not using, I'd be VERY interested!!

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

Bob
Folie a Deux
San Francisco

Last edited:

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
The P36-2 had two engines fitted during its production run. The early ones had a Yanmar GM30 and later changed to a HM35. I suspect yours is a 30.

I have a 35 in my 36-2 (its a 1987) and it came with a 17x11. I replaced that with a 16 inch 3 blade MaxProp and it made a big improvement in maneuverability and thrust in reverse. There is very minor diferance in forward speed under sail but better thrust under power.

I recommend the MaxProp.

Dave
s/v ARIEL

Bt5178

Apr 11, 2010
Hi Dave

Thanks for the response. You are correct, I have the GM30 in my boat. The 3 blade folding sounds really tempting... but I'm concerned it would really blow the budget. For a daysailer like myself do you really think it makes such a difference??

Bob

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
Bob,

I agree the MaxProp is a big hit to the budget, but we did it when we started a cruise from the Chesapeake to Texas. For the long periods of motoring in the ICW, the extra thrust was beneficial. (About 80 percent of cruising seems to be under power).

A good friend with a 36-2 has a two blade Max and on cruises we run at the same speed both under power and sail. We do have a little more power in reverse, I guess due to the extra blade. The two blade is a bit less expensive. Another friend has a fixed three blade on his 36-2 and sails much slower than us, but is about the same under power.

The one thing I did not mention about the MaxProp is that it reduced the prop walk considerably. On the east coast, most slips do not have finger piers so backing into the slip is used most often. If that is your case, the expense may be worth it.

Another consideration is that to fit the MaxProp, about 3/4 inch must be cut from the end of the shaft to fit the prop. After cutting the shaft I don't believe a fixed prop can be installed. Several years ago we wore the prop gears to the point that they could not be repared. (It took 12 years and trips from Chesapeake to Texas and back and four trips to Maine and back and very little prop maintenance to do that). PYI then replaced the prop at their cost and took the old prop back to use as parts. That cost was slightly more than the cost of a new fixed prop and shaft.

Bob, are you a new owner of your P36-2? If so I have some things we have changed on our boat that you may be interested in.

Hope this helps.

Dave
s/v ARIEL

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2010
pearson 36-2 Charleston, SC
I just purchased a Campbell Propeller fixed 3 blade 15" x 9" a couple of weeks ago for my Pearson 36-2. The boat originally had a fixed 3 blade 16" x 10". This prop made a world of difference. The boat needed more prop than the 16", and was a bit suprised ( a little nervous) when the guy that works there recommended a smaller prop. He claims that his 15" is comparable to other's 17" and 18" props.

This prop changed my to speed under power from about 6.5 kts to about 7.5 kts. It seems to increased speed under sail by .25 to .5 kts. There is also a drastic reduction in prop walk. I would highly recommend this prop.

Bt5178

Apr 11, 2010
Interesting. I always heard that a fixed three blade prop would really slow the boat down while sailing. Did you ever have anything other than a fixed 3 blade??

Bt5178

Apr 11, 2010
Hi all!

Well I'm back. I got a bit side-tracked, but am going to haul the boat this week. Time for bottom paint and new prop... Any more thoughts or experience. Joshua last time you wrote you had just got your new Campbell prop. Are you still happy? I've read some other good things about them too.
Thanks for any help!!

Jan 12, 2011
Pearson 36-2 Biloxi, MS
What did you decide?

Hi all!

Well I'm back. I got a bit side-tracked, but am going to haul the boat this week. Time for bottom paint and new prop... Any more thoughts or experience. Joshua last time you wrote you had just got your new Campbell prop. Are you still happy? I've read some other good things about them too.
Thanks for any help!!
Our 1986 36-2 is in the yard currently and we're considering going from a two blade folding to a three blade fixed. What kind of feedback did you get and what did you wind up doing? Thanks for any thoughts

Bt5178

Apr 11, 2010
Hello

I went with a 3 blade feathering prop that I found used but in like new condition for only $300! Couldn't resist that one. As you probably read, the Campbell Sailor fixed 3 blade is suppose to be quite good...

Status
Not open for further replies.