Pearson 34 Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave56

Does anyone have knowledge about the 1982-1986 Pearson 34? I am considering buying this boat but all I can find is a few pictures and the basic specifications. Will they sail to their rating? Do they have any bad habits? Do they fall apart? Are there any drawings or original advertisements available? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
Pearson P34 Mt Desert, ME
I have had Hull #128, a 1985, since 2004 & think they are great boats. Sail to rating? I don't know anything about ratings, I am a cruiser and once a year casual racer. Well built, like the Pearson reputation. If you wish, we could talk on the phone. I think if you click on my name you'll get to a spot where you can send me a reasonably secure email instead of posting phone #'s here. I've done lots of upgrades, above & below decks because like most boat owners she's my toy.

D

Dave56

Thank you for assistance

Thanks for posting replies. I appreciate the offer for a phone conversation and will try to make this happen. I am still baffled by the lack of information on this model. The other models, like the 34-2, seem well documented. However, I can't find any sales brochures, line drawings or advertisements for this 34 footer. This boat is not even listed in the Pearson "Design Families". Any and all information is greatly appreciatted. Thanks again

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
Re: Thank you for assistance

Go to the pearsoninfo.net link above, click on the "34" @ the right. Lots of info, original brochure, etc. I have a PDF (300k) of the owners manual that I can email you. I also have hull & sailplans that can be scanned & PDF'd.

Nov 28, 2010
Pearson 34 Norwalk
I'm looking to purchase a 1984 Pearson 34. I tried to find information using the site pearsoninfo.net/34/34.htm as above but it doesn't look like an active site. Can Shorty or Elpasebo confirm? Did Dave56 buy his boat?

Please tell me more about the 34' boat. What repairs are common? I think the standing rigging needs to be rebedded which I heard is common. Anything else I should be aware of?

I have sailed on older Pearson 28's and 37's and I think this might be the boat for me.

Gail R

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson 34 Freeport, ME
You can find some info at http://web.archive.org/web/20080802172506/http://www.pearsoninfo.net/

Click on 34 for some information. We just bought one this spring and are in the early stages of deciding what she needs. Among other things, we've found she needs a new alternator bracket, ports need rebedding (they leak), running rigging needs to be reconfigured/replaced, needs new sails, and a whole lot of other things my husband/skipper can list.

I would think that for any boat of 1980s vintage, standing rigging (including attachment points) would need to be examined and serviced accordingly.

Whether the P34 sails to her rating is a tough call. We are moving up from a Pearson 30, and you'd be hard pressed to find a boat that sails to her rating like the P30 does! I would consider the 34 to be a bit less racy and more cruisey.

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
Rats, looks like the Pearson Info site is gone. It was a great resource. I do have a PDF of the mfg's book (3mg) and the drawings (500+k) that I can email. Also have a copy of narrative from a guy named Bob Brown in NY about replacing the rudder (how to).
If you click on my profile you can see the list of stuff I have done which might lead you not to buy a P-34 because I have done a long list but like a lot of boat geek owners this what keeps me out of the bars over the winter, obsessing about my boat (picture my wife rolling her eyes).
If you would like any of that emailed contact me through the owner directory, I think that method helps to limit spam.

Oct 14, 2007
Pearson P30, P34 Maine
Rats, looks like the Pearson Info site is gone. It was a great resource. I do have a PDF of the mfg's book (3mg) and the drawings (500+k) that I can email. Also have a copy of narrative from a guy named Bob Brown in NY about replacing the rudder (how to).
If you click on my profile you can see the list of stuff I have done which might lead you not to buy a P-34 because I have done a long list but like a lot of boat geek owners this what keeps me out of the bars over the winter, obsessing about my boat (picture my wife rolling her eyes).
If you would like any of that emailed contact me through the owner directory, I think that method helps to limit spam.
Try this?
http://web.archive.org/web/20080802172506/http://www.pearsoninfo.net/

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
duh - I just did now. So this is a site that captures dead website info?

Status
Not open for further replies.