Pearson 34-2 hull construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 25_73-83 NORTH POINT MARINA/WINTHROP HA IL
There has been much conjecture concerning the hull construction of the 34-2 manufactured in the late 80's to early 90's. This boat was a departure from the older Pearson concept featuring a flatter bottom, wider beam, lighter displacement,longer waterline and double spreader mast with a split backstay. The sailing characteristics of the boat showed a generally faster turn of speed, more responsiveness and the ability to surf past hull speed quickly in a following sea. The shoal draft wing keel makes it an attractive boat for Caribbean sailing. The hull of the 34-2 is solid glass to the waterline and cored from the waterline to the lead keel. There is considerable reinforcemnent around structural bulkheads and the fiberglass work is well above average. When I removed the original engine intake ball valve and replaced it with a proper seacock, it was solid glass and not cored beneath. I have not replaced the head intake, but it appears to be solid glass underneath as well. As an owner of a 34-2, I can attest to its structural strength after 16 years of ocean sailing and with some minor modifications and improvements makes it an attractive offshore sailer. There also is some conjecture as to changes made at the end of Pearson's run as they approached insolvency but it appears that very little was changed from the original design year to year. I have communicated with another 34-2 owner who has done considerable improvements to his boat, as well, and our resources should provide any prospective owners with solid, first hand information in re: refitting or potentially purchasing this boat. Good luck and good sailing, Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.