Pearson 33 discussion

Dec 16, 2015
Pearson 33 Galena, MD
Hello Pearson 33 owners... I would like to get your impressions on the 33 (circa 1972)... Particularly I would like to hear your opinions about seaworthiness. Would you consider a 33 a bluewater boat in any capacity?

Griz83

Jul 31, 2014
Pearson 33 Nashville, TN
I've got a 33-1, also a 1972 - hull #189. The 33-1 is a fine CCA-era boat. Like many designs of that era, the 33-1s have a bit of "initial tenderness," meaning that they tend to heel quite a bit without much effort, but then tend to find a happy place at around 25-30 degrees heel. The centerboard allows for some good bite going upwind, as well as the ability to tweak the balance of the helm relatively easily. It is very possible to successfully race a 33-1 in a PHRF class.

The cabin layout is fairly basic by today's standards, but is quite functional. In my opinion, the "cruising layout" (there were two versions) is the more comfortable of the two, which is what we have.

As far as seaworthiness, I'd be hesitant to take the boat far off the coast without some modifications. We sail exclusively on an inland lake environment; and it is well suited for that, as well as coastal cruising. The cockpit is very large, which is a big plus for most casual cruising and for racing; not so much for bluewater cruising. However, there is at least one 33-1 out there which does just that, apparently quite well:
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svhermes/

Griz83

Jul 31, 2014
Pearson 33 Nashville, TN
Hadn't seen that particular website before. Interesting to see the comparisons on the graphs. Although, sometimes these statistics can be deceiving; as there are many other factors at play when it comes to dealing with mother nature. I would say that in some respects, the 33 is a "scaled down 35." The 35 will probably be a slightly better bluewater boat than the 33. It has a higher freeboard and will be a bit more stout with the full keel. But, that one would need some modifications also to really be prepared.

Making comparisons to the Cheoy Lee is a bit tough, as that's quite a different animal. The Cheoy Lee will likely be better suited for bluewater cruising; but for racing or daysailing, you'll likely not be happy. The Bristol 32 (Hood) and the Bristol 33 (Herreshoff) are quite different in themselves. I'd be very hesitant to take the Bristol 33 offshore with the fin keel/spade rudder. The 32 would probably perform decently offshore.

Bottom line is, any of these production boats will require some serious modifications to truly be ready to go offshore. The question is, how much are you willing to do/pay to have done to make the boat ready? Find a boat that suits your needs. I've been incredibly happy with my 33.

Dec 16, 2015
Pearson 33 Galena, MD
Hello Griz83... That particular website I put together myself, based on the data from sail calculator website ( http://www.tomdove.com/sailcalc/sailcalc.html ) . Same data, different visualization. I have been using it to educate myself on the many different boats out there, and hoping to narrow my search down to a hidden gem - a boat I could sail offshore one day but which is not perhaps a best seller, and would be more affordable to buy. This would be my first boat, but hopefully one I could sail for the next 10 years and retire to, and which could safely take me one day to the Bahamas and perhaps beyond. I also came upon a incredibly cheap P33 for sale, allegedly in good condition, so that caught my attention, So here I am researching the P33. There isn't much information about the P33 out there... but it seems like an overlooked gem...

Griz83

Jul 31, 2014
Pearson 33 Nashville, TN
Yes, I figured out that you had put together that template dashboard from the sail calculator data very shortly after I replied last. Good resource.

The P-33 is definitely a hidden gem; and I highly recommend it - especially if the price is right. As with any boat of this age, either do a thorough inspection yourself (if you know what you're doing) or pay to have one done. With a few exceptions, there's no such thing as a bargain. It sounds to me like the P-33 will fit your bill. As you can see from Hermes (which I referenced in my first reply), the P-33 got Don comfortably from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas.

Dec 16, 2015
Pearson 33 Galena, MD
I was just reading Don's blog and he made extensive upgrades to his P33 before he felt it was ocean-ready. I will quote his upgrades below just for future reference...

I know that I have to go through this list and set it up properly, but I received a comment about someone that was going to set up a Pearson 33 like mine for cruising. I sat down and quickly wrote all the things I did to mine before I set out. It was a shock. In my defense, I would have done many of these things if I had bought a new boat unless I had a custom one made. There is truly no boat ready for extended cruising from the factory. Most Cruisers just make do with what works and what they have when they get a boat. I'll go through and clean this list up later when I have time, but here it is...
New Bow Platform
Heavy Duty Bow Roller
Lofrans Manual Windlass
Chain Hawse Hole
Anchor Locks
Re-built Hyde Streamstay Roller Furling
Installed an Inner Stay for Staysails
Spinnaker Pole System for flying Spinnakers
Double Lifelines with Port and starboard gates
Rebuilt Soft Foredeck Solid Epoxy
New Heavier Cabintop Handrails port and starboard fore and aft
4 new opening ports 5 x 12 (V-berth and Head)
repainted and non-skid entire deck and cockpit
Side boarding ladder
rebuilt Cabintop maststep area to solid epoxy
stainless mast base plate for Halyard Blocks
New topping lift boom end to cockpit through block at masthead
all new wiring in mast groove on slugs
new spreader lights halogen
all new led nav lights and an led anchor light
all new running rigging w spare halyard and spinnaker halyard
triple reef system run back to cockpit. blocks at luff cringles, cheek blocks on boom, standing blocks at base, to organizers, and then to clutches on aft cabintop
new staysail tracks on cabintop
new trysail with separate track on mast
mast steps (small custom permanent version)
Spinnaker pole Mounted on mast
Painted mast and boom white
Port and starboard preventers and new mainsheet system forward of dodger
rebed all deck fittings
Custom harness, Tether, and Jacklines along cabin top sides and foredeck
harness attachments Mounted in cockpit
French Braid on Stainless Helm
new cable and line for Center Board (Slight redesign to make it more streamlined)
Dodger and Connected Bimini
clutches, winches and cleats Mounted on aft cabintop
Dinghy custom Cradle on Cabintop under Boom
2-6 gallon water and 2-6 gallon fuel w mounting board and grate under them on port side deck and custom covers for each
washdown hose system and pump on port sidedeck
new depthsounder and thruhull
new masthead wind instruments
new masthead vhf antenna
All new oversized standing rigging w sta-lok fittings top and bottom and insulated backstay
new canvas on new jib on roller furling
new mainsail cover
all exterior and interior teak varnished
new cheek block and cleat (at cockpit) and line system for roller furling
new air-X on stern pole mount w regulator
new aquair for hanging in fore rigging or from stern rail when underway
all new round and flat fenders
dinghy davits
stern anchor system w sampson post
four 35' dock lines
snubber w hook
cape horn
electronic autopilot
MOB pole system
Fishing Pole mounts aft w heavy duty pole and reels
Dinghy motor mount on stern rail
New bulkhead dividing anchor locker for extra storage
teak walls in v berth
new cushions throughout
carpet all floors
clock in v berth
new holding tank under port v berth
2 drawers w lids under starboard v berth
paint all hatches and add hinges
new teak cabinet doors
new head
new faucets
compass mounted in v berth
new brass led lighting throughout interior
fan mounted in v berth
new 6 panel v berth door
new 6 panel hinged head door
paint head countertop
create hanging locker w teak door behind head
new shower fixture w mount on ceiling
mew rotating mirror
teak and antique hanging hooks
teal and oak towel racks attached to door
new shower curtain
floor under sink for storage
seal sing thru hull
redesign sump system, and new hose system for head, holding tank and pumpout behind head
new pumpout fitting on port sidedeck
new manual whale pumpout pump
switch in head for sump activation for shower
new sump for galley, head and shower in bilge w thru hull and valve for overboard or into holding tank
pump for washdown w floor added in thru hull area
lock down for pumpout thru hull
varnish all interior teak
four speakers installed in cabin, one in cockpit
redesign and rebuild table
redesign pilot berth w solid oak board
all new cabin and nav station led brass lights
vertical supports added 2 on pilot berth 2 at nav station and galley
handhold added behind toilet and bulkhead by door to head
handhold added at cabin entrance
new hinged teak screens all overhead hatches
new cedar screens for cabin entrance
new 1" teak hatchboards
new cabin entrance doors on pintles with interior and exterior locking
new curtains w cleats and line
compass mounted on mast support
fitting in cockpit w pressure reducing valve and 3 valves for water tank filling
complete rebuild of refridge area into nav station w swing out seat and large locking drawer
install epirb
install icom ssb
install ais
install clarion cd and radio
install usb hub
install red white led nav light
install brass hurricane lamp
new clock and barometer
new 3 bank 30 amp charger
new base and nav tablet motion
Icom 502 vhf w splitter for radio
new inverter 750 watt
guages for voltage and amperage in and out
switches for 3 battery banks
remote panel for new main inverter 1800 watts
drawer nav area redesign w lids
new nav bulkhead w extra storage underneath
automatic propane water heater for shower
expansion tank for water system
new 3 burner w oven force ten stove and sniffer and regulator
new faucet
new water pump
new foot pump
new tile countertops
new teak cabinet doors w wood floor inside
new countertop teak fold down storage against hull
new companionway step design w latch for hold down
new refridge w complete system and r90 insulation
new water and drain hoses and system to sump
seal thru hull under galley sink
all new proper thru hulls throughout boat w levers and mounts
new 2" scupper thru hulls
new engine thru hull exterior strainer
new large anode exterior
new strainer on engine intake
new instant engine oil change pump and nut
new fuel filter and water separator
hand remove impeller plate
new 55 amp alternator
replace engine
new cutlass bearing
epoxy barrier coat
new rudder shoe and attachment system
redesign companionway hatch system
new main ritchie compass
new oil pressure guage
new shifting cable
new cockpit locker bulkheads 2 per side
5 new battery bank 4 27 1 24
2 new solar panels w regulator 3 bank
new lazarette propane locker
new icom antenna tuner
new hot water heater
new fuel lines
new bulkhead compasses
clutches and winches cabintop port and starboard
all new instruments and new 12" nav monitor on ram mount in cockpit
new fog bell
floating winch handles
Portland Pudgy Life Boat w all accessories
West Marine ditch bag
Garmin handheld gps
4 hp Mercury dinghy outboard
folding Gotham aluminum bike
rocker stopper
New Sails-Spinnaker and 150 Genoa, Orange Trysail, Storm Staysail, Staysail, Working Jib
Sea Anchor and rode
Buddy propane heater mounted on bulkhead in cabin

Pretty amazing. And people always ask me what I do all the time.
I am not a person aflicted with ADD or any other of those "Made-Up" diseases to sell drugs for our kids. I now feel that my boat is properly prepared for the ocean.

vela88

Oct 6, 2004
- - Amityville
Could anyone provide a diagram or photo of the 33 mainsheet set up. We got a boat but the Crosby type mainsheet was not rigged and all the blocks were removed. Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
When you are considering a "blue water boat" there are a number of factors to consider. First off, what do you mean by Blue Water? Sailing from Florida to the Bahamas is certainly sailing on blue water, however, that is very different sailing from sailing from Mexico to the Marquesas.

The numbers are one thing to look at, construction is more important. Personally, I'd rather sail a well constructed boat in the ocean that didn't quite meet the numbers, than a mediocrely constructed boat that met all the numbers.

Another very important factor to consider that is not in the numbers, is livability. When sailing off shore you will spend more time below decks than on deck, how livable is the boat?

With all that said people sail all kinds of boats around the world. A few years ago Webb Chiles sailed a Moore 24 (similar to a J24) around the world.