Pearson 28 water tank access

marvy1

May 5, 2018
Pearson 28-1 New Rochelle
Any tips on accessing the water tank in a Pearson 28-1? It is under the v-berth, but I didn’t see an accessible lid for cleaning it, and there is not enough room to push it out of its stand. I am trying not to take apart the whole v-berth if I don’t have to, but I have to either clean it or replace it. Any help is appreciated.

757guy

May 8, 2012
Pearson P-28 Lake City MN
We own a 28-2 so no real idea if it's different. Our access is thru one of two hatches under the V berth cushions (aft-most one I think). We can also get to the tank outlet by taking out all the shelving at the forward part of galley seating. We have a small cushion and backrest with a bridge piece of plywood between the left/right settees. Behind is a small storage area and, by doing some contortions with the floor piece, you can get in there enough to service the speedo and depthfinder transducers as well as the outlet to our water pump. As this is a thru-hull, it might be wise to know if yours is set up the same way, yeah?

marvy1

May 5, 2018
Hi - I realized that my post wasn’t specific enough: I know where it is, but it doesn’t have anyway to access the inside for cleaning purposes. I have been searching extra long bottle brushes, but I don’t think that will do it.

Aug 9, 2011
Pearson 30 Chicago
Sorry, didn't see this post until now. Have a P30, but the setup is similar. Cut away the plywood covering in the V-birth (use a wooden spacer for support when I'm done.) Cut a hole in the top, installed a six inch (or larger) inspection port with a threaded cover-it allows me to get my whole hand in there to clean and sponge dry it out at end of season, also to add a little bleach at beginning of season and fill with water hose. Applied silicone sealer to inspection port frame and around stainless crews before installing. Have not had leaks or sloshing problems.

marvy1

May 5, 2018
Thanks! How did you cut your hole in the tank? I feel like my approach may be crude...