Pearson 28 - Engine starting question

marvy1

May 5, 2018
Pearson 28-1 New Rochelle
Hi - I am a new owner of a Pearson 28-1 (1980), and have only previously sailed a larger Pearson 10M. The boat does not have an owner’s manual, and the engine and location of the starter is different from the 10M. Could someone tell me how to start the engine? Thanks!

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Did you have a Yanmar on the 10m?
If so, yes the starting procedure is different.
Your 28, if original, will have a Universal. 11 or 16hp.
Just turn the key on, hold the glow button for 15 seconds, then press the start button. Trans in neutral.
On the older Universals I don't think you have to hold the glow while pressing start, but if it doesn't turn over, you may have to.
Remember to open the raw water intake first.

marvy1

May 5, 2018
Thank you - yes, this is definitely different. I have a Universal on this boat. Are the glow plug and start button the two buttons over the oil pressure panel, or are they somewhere else?

Did you have a Yanmar on the 10m?
If so, yes the starting procedure is different.
Your 28, if original, will have a Universal. 11 or 16hp.
Just turn the key on, hold the glow button for 15 seconds, then press the start button. Trans in neutral.
On the older Universals I don't think you have to hold the glow while pressing start, but if it doesn't turn over, you may have to.
Remember to open the raw water intake first.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@marvy1 First I want to welcome you to this forum. Congrats on your boat.
Long time ago I sailed on a Pearson in the lower Chesapeake. Before you go forward you need to identify the engine you have on the boat.
Taken from Wiki...
Pearson 28
This model was introduced in 1975 and then updated in 1980 with a new keel and interior improvements and remained in production until 1982 in its modified form. It has a length overall of 28.00 ft (8.5 m), a waterline length of 25.00 ft (7.6 m), displaces 7,850 lb (3,561 kg) and carries 3,530 lb (1,601 kg) of lead ballast. The boat has a draft of 4.50 ft (1.37 m) and 5.00 ft (1.52 m) after the new keel was added in 1980. The early version also had an optional shoal draft keel. The boat is fitted with a Universal Atomic 4 gasoline engine of 30 hp (22 kW). The fuel tank holds 13 U.S. gallons (49 L; 11 imp gal) and the fresh water tank has a capacity of 22 U.S. gallons (83 L; 18 imp gal). The boat has a hull speed of 6.56 kn (12.15 km/h).
Gas engine boats do not use Glow Plugs.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Thank you - yes, this is definitely different. I have a Universal on this boat. Are the glow plug and start button the two buttons over the oil pressure panel, or are they somewhere else?
Yes, the two buttons on the engine panel. Glow on the left, start on the right.
If it's an 80 then unlikely to be gas. Although it's possible - would have to be one of the last gas installations.
Send us a picture of the panel.

marvy1

May 5, 2018
Thanks - will send a picture next weekend. I had knee surgery during the purchase and other people have been moving her since, so yesterday was my first day aboard. Was doing other boat projects today, and missed this message. It is definitely a diesel, and I guessed those were the buttons. Thanks again!

marvy1

May 5, 2018
Hi - thanks for the help. I was doing some work on her today, and did a test run on the engine. Everything is working, but now I need to troubleshoot my engine panel: the gauges aren’t giving any readings...

Here’s a picture of the panel:

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Gauges giving readings depends on the engine running, the wires connected, to functioning sensors.
Often times it is a ground corroded connection that causes lack of function.
Places to Start:
  1. Look for corrosion of the wires at the connections.
  2. Look for loose wires.
  3. Check the continuity of the sensors.
  4. Check the ohms reading of the sensor.