Pathfinder diesel

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Rather than hijack the Westerbeke thread I'm starting a new one soliciting thoughts on VW Pathfinder diesels. I'm looking at a boat with a 50 HP Pathfinder and I really don't know much about them other than they were made by VW. I have an Atomic 4 now so I'm used to searching the nooks and crannies of the interwebs for parts but the A4 ended up in a LOT of boats so parts are still being made because of demand. Anyone with experience maintaining a VW Pathfinder marine engine?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
No experience with the marinized VW engine but lots of experience with the terrestrial versions.

The 1600 or 1.6 l engine was very efficient, naturally aspirated diesel engine fully mechanical. It does have a poly timing belt that must be maintained. It is an interference engine so if you loose the timing belt you kiss the engine good bye...

What do you want to know? Again, I'm only quite familiar with the non- marinized version of this engine.

dj

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Mostly I'm wondering how reliable they are and how easy it is to find parts.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
My experience has shown the land based engine to be highly reliable. At this time, you may have to look for parts. You must maintain the timing belt properly. I don't know about the Pathfinder marinized changes.

dj

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Really the only major "marine" parts on any boat engine are the transmission, water cooled exhaust manifold, heat exchanger, and raw water pump. The trans is the only one likely to give problems so research whatever trans is on it. Hurth are finicky and unreliable, Velvet Drive are not, for example. If the engine is a reliable performer on land, it should be as well on water.