Passage 42 shift lever

Jul 7, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Jacksonville
My wife and I bought a Hunter Passage 42 a month ago and are really loving the boat with one exception: The shift lever has left us both with bloodied and bruised hands from pulling it into the up position (forward) and striking our index-finger knuckles on sharpish edge of the binnacle, just under the compass.

I don't know if ours is particularly difficult to shift but it seems like it takes a lot of force to get it into/out of gear and sometimes it causes me even to skip neutral and go straight from forward to reverse or vice verso.

The cable feels okay at least the play in the shift lever seems to be transmitted down to the gearbox.

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the 6" shift lever that came standard on these boats with the 10" lever that Edson also makes.

Also wondering if maybe I need to get my gearbox checked out.

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Single lever mechanism in the pedestal need cleaning/greasing?

Jul 7, 2014
Single lever mechanism in the pedestal need cleaning/greasing?
It is an Edson pedestal with dual levers. Throttle on the starboard side and shift lever on the aft.

Here is a photo: (not our boat but same make/model/pedestal)

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
1) that lever should not be that tight. can you take off the binnacle cover and see what's going on at binnacle -end ? edson or hunter might have diagrams and suggestions. then check the shifter lever on the transmission end... 2) always a bad idea to go straight from F to R without a nice little few seconds' pause in N, for any transmission... let us know what you find ? (I saw a boat once where the tran lever was almost impossible to shift -- the outer plastic cover of the morse cable close to the tranny had been fried on the engine exhaust ... so the internal cable could not move freely. rx had to replace the whole cable but that is rather an unusual cause of a stiff tran lever...)

Jul 7, 2014
Once in gear, there is about an inch or so of movement before you feel the gear disengaging. That movement is transmitted through the cable. I had my wife move the shifter through that play zone while I watched the linkage and noticed that there is a sort of scraping/squeaking sound coming from the cable.

So, sounds like replacing the cable is in order. For now I'm going to try to lubricate it from the binnacle end and hope it helps at least enough to make it the next few days home without screwing up the transmission.

Jul 7, 2014
Took the compass and binnacle top off. Lever itself definitely is fine, no binding at all, but the cable has a significant amount of friction. I'm still not sure this is the whole problem but it does seem like replacing the cable would help. I disconnected it from the transmission end and operated it back/forth while spraying the top end liberally with WD-40. It seems a little better but I can't tell if it's just repeatedly operating it or if any of the WD-40 actually even made it into the cable.

So...Anyone know what length it is supposed to be? I'd rather not remove it without having the replacement cable to follow it through. Or is that what I've gotta do?

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions so far guys.

May 24, 2012
Hunter 42 Florida
Don't remember the length. But budget some time when you do it as it wasn't easy. That nut below the shifter holds a piece that holds both cables in place and it is a bear to get back in.........

Jul 7, 2014
Well, the WD-40 didn't do much. The cable itself is smoother but once I hooked it back to the transmission it seems like that isn't really the whole problem. The force it takes to pop it out of gear can send it straight through neutral into the opposite direction gear. I'm currently heading South on the ICW and it can be fairly crowded waiting for a bridge opening. Shifting to maintain position is a PITA.

I've never driven a boat with separate throttle/shifter so I didn't really know what to expect but I've also never had so much trouble getting from gear to neutral without accidentally going to the opposite gear. Seems like it happens at least 1/10 times.

I've also had it pop itself into forward gear when I had it in neutral. It makes a clunk and I see the shifter jump up a touch, have to push it back down to get back to neutral. Only happened a few times. Don't know if it's related.

This may just be over my head and I need to get a mechanic involved. I'm just resourceful (aka cheap) and trying to save $$$.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
I'd thread out the shifter then run to hardware fastener store and buy a threaded rod 12" long and put a handle on it

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
My wife and I bought a Hunter Passage 42 a month ago and are really loving the boat with one exception: The shift lever has left us both with bloodied and bruised hands from pulling it into the up position (forward) and striking our index-finger knuckles on sharpish edge of the binnacle, just under the compass.
Interesting. In March 2002 when the dealer took me out with the owner on board for a sea trial, he banged up and bloodied his hand while shifting, complaining how difficult it was to shift in and out of gear. We purchased the boat anyway. It was difficult shifting at first and thought a new cable was in order.

Soon after we purchased Belle-Vie, a 1991 P42, the clevis that connects the shifter cable to the shifter lever failed due to fatigue. Fortunately the failure occurred when I had just shifted into neutral as we were coming into the slip very slow. No harm done.

Removed the binnacle and under close inspection found that this clevis has a molded bracket mount in the pedestal that secures the clevis in the correct position for shifting. For some reason it was not secured in this molded bracket and over time forced the clevis into an awkward shifting angle resulting in the shifting difficulty and subsequent bronze clevis failure.

Whether this is your situation, it is worthy of a close inspection. In our case all I did was to replace the clevis, which threads onto the end of the shifter cable, and mounted it correctly in the pedestal. That was in 2002 and it remains to this day, after hundreds of hours of cruising, smooth and easy gear shifting with the original six inch shifter handle and cable.

Please let me know what you find out. I plan on going to the boat in a week or so and will take a picture of how our shifter cable is secured inside the pedestal. I suspect the PO had replaced the cable at one point and did not install it correctly thus resulting in the clevis failure.

Jul 7, 2014
I'd thread out the shifter then run to hardware fastener store and buy a threaded rod 12" long and put a handle on it
Edson makes a 10" version of the handle. It's only $45. I was considering purchasing it but it seems that others with this same boat don't have to do that...

Jul 7, 2014
Removed the binnacle and under close inspection found that this clevis has a molded bracket mount in the pedestal that secures the clevis in the correct position for shifting. For some reason it was not secured in this molded bracket and over time forced the clevis into an awkward shifting angle resulting in the shifting difficulty and subsequent bronze clevis failure.
Hmm. I took apart the binnacle last night. I should have taken a picture of it. The cable was attached with a bolted mount about 12" down from the top of the binnacle. The end of the cable attached with a clevis pin and cotter pin to the end of the inner lever which pivoted on the shaft for the throttle lever.

Is the molded bracket you're talking about the part that the pin fits through? If I recall correctly it was sort of U shaped and threaded onto the end of the cable with a nut.

Are there any external symptoms of the awkward angle you're describing? Neutral still feels like it is where the handle is horizontal but I'm wondering if it is actually not, based on what you're saying and the fact that it sometimes pops itself into gear when I think it's in neutral.

Jul 7, 2014
I took it apart again and snapped a picture of the innards. It all looked okay to me, but frankly I've never looked inside one of these things before. Only thing that seemed odd to me was that there was a bunch of grease on the wheel brake.

I noticed that when in neutral the range of play before engagement was a bit higher on the forward side than the reverse side. (maybe 1/2 inch) I adjusted the cable length, shortening it by 6-7 turns and now the play in neutral seems to be a bit better centered.

I may have been wrong about it popping into forward. Maybe it was popping into reverse because when I thought it was in the center of neutral it was really almost in reverse...

After adjusting it, it doesn't feel any smoother to shift but now forward gear is a bit lower so hopefully less likely that we'll strike our knuckles on the binnacle. I'm about to undock for another day of motoring down the ICW so I guess we'll see how it goes!

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Morse or equivalent cables such as yours requires periodic lubrication. If no one told you previously, WD 40 is NOT a lubricant.

If the shift lever works freely after removing the cable, you just eliminated the shift mechanism as the problem. Similarly, if you can shift the lever at the transmission by hand, it isn't the tranny.

If you have never done maintenance on the cable and the above items work as intended when tested as described, time to pull and properly lube both the shift cable and the engine stop cable.

There are plenty of how-to videos on the internet to explain the process. If you can't find them, email me.

Jul 7, 2014
Morse or equivalent cables such as yours requires periodic lubrication. If no one told you previously, WD 40 is NOT a lubricant.
Thanks, Don. Yeah, I know it's not a great lubricant.

I'm not finding anything official about lubricating the cables though. The Teleflex FAQ says you should replace it if it is found to have friction:
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/faq...is-hard-to-move-what-should-i-do-to-fix-this/

I'm not really sure what kind of cable I have...sorry, I'm kind of a newbie.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Not intended to be a thorough explanation as I don't have the time now but -
Remove cable
Remove inner cable half way and lube with non-hygroscopic lube, teflon, etc...
Remove other half in opposite direction to lube that half
Reinstall assuming it moves freely. If not, replace.

Morse is one common mfg of these cables. The only critical consideration when replacing is length.

Dec 25, 2000
I'm not really sure what kind of cable I have...sorry, I'm kind of a newbie.
Hunter used Teleflex brand control cables on many of their models. I've always used a non-petroleum based grease when lubricating our cables commonly found in most marine chandleries. I do not remember the brand, but I still have some on the boat. This stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-2...=1478371380&sr=8-10&keywords=marine+lubricant

Unable to tell from your picture, but what I vaguely remember, was that the top of the shifter cable had a threaded stud where this clevis attached. The top of the cable on our boat was supposed to be clamped to this molded pedestal bracket so that when any downward force (push) was applied it kept the clevis aligned. It was not, so the push force caused the clevis out of alignment (bending, so to speak), and over time resulted in the failure from fatigue.

And please do not get me started on the engine stop cable. Ugh! A short note, ours stopped working several years ago. Pulled it then, lubricated it with the above mentioned grease, and spent three (THREE) hours hooking it back up only to find no improvement. Rather than replace it I tied two lanyards to the stop cable inside the engine room and pull on these to stop the engine. Works just fine. The thought of replacing the stop cable is, well, have you ever had a root canal? I have not, but I think that would be preferable than replacing that silly stop cable.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2014
Weird - our stop cable works fine, aside from being in a kind of strange location. (On the bulkhead of the engine room)

We just dropped anchor and the changes I made didn't really help anything. Slightly better angle because of shortening the cable but it still seems like the force required to disengage one gear and get into another is too great and is the cause of jumping neutral. At some point I'll take the cable out and lubricate it but right now it does not seem to be the issue.

After the engine cools I may try to check the transmission fluid. The engine surveyor said he couldn't get the cap off so couldn't check it. I found a thread about people putting the wrong type of lubricant (10W30 vs ATF) in the Kanzaki KBW20/21 transmissions and having issues shifting.

Dec 25, 2000
Weird - our stop cable works fine, aside from being in a kind of strange location. (On the bulkhead of the engine room)

We just dropped anchor and the changes I made didn't really help anything. Slightly better angle because of shortening the cable but it still seems like the force required to disengage one gear and get into another is too great and is the cause of jumping neutral. At some point I'll take the cable out and lubricate it but right now it does not seem to be the issue.

After the engine cools I may try to check the transmission fluid. The engine surveyor said he couldn't get the cap off so couldn't check it. I found a thread about people putting the wrong type of lubricant (10W30 vs ATF) in the Kanzaki KBW20/21 transmissions and having issues shifting.
Hmm. Our stop cable is in the cockpit, starboard coaming, just aft of the instrument panel. The most difficult part was connecting the stop cable to the engine shut off valve. All mirror work due to its location on the starboard side. A huge PITA.

As far as transmission lubricant goes the PO used engine oil, but last year I replaced it with ATF, which is what the engine plate states as the correct lubricant. No apparent ill effects nor noticeable difference to the transmission operation. The engine oil had been in the transmission since before we purchased her in 2002.

A good box end wrench works the best in getting the cap off. The full mark is located at the very tip of the stick and is measured by resting the cap on the transmission rather than screwed in. Ours took almost a full quart of ATF.

Jul 7, 2014
Wow. I was under the impression that using the correct lubricant was more important than that.

We have a Raymarine ST8001 autopilot (and jack for the handheld remote) just aft of the Yanmar panel where you're describing. It's mounted on what appears to be starboard. I assume the PO did that when they relocated the engine stop cable or something.

Still can't figure out why the transmission is so hard to shift. It's mostly just very tough getting it OUT of gear and not skipping right through neutral. I don't think it's the cable at this point.

Could shaft misalignment cause something like this? Just one thing I haven't checked...