Partial upgrade of antique navigation electronics

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
I am generally happy with the 20 year old electronics on my 2000 Seaward 25. The Raymarine Autohelm ST4000+ (at least I think it is the + model, the body is grey, not black) works great, with clear display, and a rudder position indicator is fitted. Also there is a matching knotmeter and rudimentary depth gauge. The only thing that I will have to replace is the GPS, which is a very basic Garmin unit and cannot be upgraded.

My question is, given that this system uses NMEA 0183 data transfer, is there a decent GPS chartplotter/fishfinder that I can add, with something like 7" display, and that will be compatible with the Autohelm, specifically for tracking?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I suggest you stay with Raymarine since you want it to be compatible with Autohelm. Other Chart-plotters can be interfaced, but you won't get mfr support and it might not work smoothly. The units you have use SeaTalk, and the new ones use SeaTalkNG. Raymarine makes an inexpensive SeaTalk to SeaTalkNG converter to talk to its newer electronics.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have mid-1990's Autohelm instruments and autopilot and I have a Garmin GPS492 Chartplotter. This chartplotter is obsolete now, but with its NMEA 0183 interface it works perfectly with my autopilot. I would expect that a recent Garmin chartplotter or any chartplotter with NMEA 0183 is likely to work fine. To have more certainty, you could check the chartplotter NMEA 0183 output sentences and compare them to the Autohelm autopilot input sentences that it understands.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I recently added a 7" Garmin and connected to RM ST60 instruments and an ST 6000 AP using the Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter and a Seatalk ng to nmea 2000 adapter cable (goes from the Garmin to the converter). Everything interfaces just fine, all the ST 60's data is displayed on the Garmin. It has specialized screens for sail that will overlay laylines, wind speeds etc. Also I got the 7" Garmin on sale for $399.

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
Thanks Rich. Are modern chartplotters generally able to communicate in either 0183 or 2000 format then?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So is this for lake sailing only? Your lake is a 1/3 the size of my lake Guntersville and I added a used 7" Galaxy Tab A that was a Verizon model with Built in GPS, a protective case with full enclosure for protection and water, Navtronics App and modified an existing mount. I have less the $100 total and it works great tracking my location on the Lake Guntersville but doe snot talk with my similar instruments like what you have. I know several people have built in chart plotters on the lake, but it is pretty much overkill in my opinion.

This link should show our setup pretty well with my son motoring us. I also have a Velocitek SpeedPuck mounted and facing forward so my daughter can see speed changes as she trims the main when we are feeling sporty.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The January Issue of Practical Sailor had a pretty good article with tips on getting old and new electronics to talk to each other.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Thanks Rich. Are modern chartplotters generally able to communicate in either 0183 or 2000 format then?
No clue. Since I'm not in the market for new, I don't even look. I would hope that they are backward compatible, but there was a NMEA 0180 (I think) that I no longer see. You would have to check the specific candidate for interface compatibility.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Some yes, some no. For example, the B&G Zeus3 does, the B&G Vulcan, no. But you can get a NMEA0183 to NMEA2000 converter for about $100, like the B&G AT10.

Jun 14, 2010
I do not recommend trying to get B&G (or any Navico brand) CPs to work with a Raymarine AP. Been there, got the purple heart.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Not usually, only 2000 is needed or wanted, instruments and AP are connected by Seatalk. Part of converter is a cable with seatalk on one end and Seatalk ng on the other. This connects your instruments and AP to the converter and thus to Seatalk NG and Nmea2000 which are the same except use a different plug. An adapter cable with Seatalk ng on one end and nmea 2000 on the other connects your chartplotter to that network via the converter. So ALL the data from any of those sources is available to the AP and chartplotter.
Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalk NG Converter Kit
Raymarine SeaTalk Ng to NMEA 2000 Adapter Cable (Male)

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,

Some additional things for you to consider:
1. ALL chartplotters and autopilots are compatible in that they can share data. For example, a B&G plotter can send a Raymarine autopilot waypoint information so that the pilot can steer to the waypoint. This assumes that you have successfully linked the plotter and pilot. This can be done with NMEA2000, NMEA018, Seatalk, etc. You just need a link
2. If you want to CONTROL the autopilot from the plotter you must have the same brand autopilot and chart plotter. For example, if you want to engage the pilot or have the pilot autotack, you MUST have the same brand plotter and autopilot. A Raymarine Axiom can control a Raymarine plotter. A Garmin plotter can control a garmine autopilot, etc. Only you can decide if this is important to you or not.

Barry

Jun 14, 2010
For example, a B&G plotter can send a Raymarine autopilot waypoint information so that the pilot can steer to the waypoint.
It doesn't work that smoothly. Pilots don't steer to waypoints, they steer to compass headings. It acts as if the waypoint is stored in the CP and the CP gives a series of course corrections to the AP. The AP is also correcting for waves and the CP is correcting for other deviations, and the sum of the parts don't work anywhere near as well as if you simply enter a manual compass course in the AP control head and let the AP do its thing, while you check on on it once in a while making minor manual corrections as needed.
You're supposed to be keeping watch, anyway. :huh: I never understood the desire to have the AP steer a route under direction from the CP.

Last edited: