Part Shout-Outs: What add-on do you love?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
They make a good impromptu toboggan also.:biggrin: A little vegetable oil on the back side and your cooking with gas.
HaHa. We used to do that in college. The fun part was trying to smuggle the trays out of the dining room by sticking them under our coats. 40 guys walking funny out the door with stupid looks on their faces. Ahh the good old days.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Rubber Mallet. Don't leave the dock without it.
This past Tuesday I thought fondly of you @shemandr. I was pulling my boat out of the water in preparation for moving my boat to a new home. I had not used the trailer in 18 months. As I backed the trailer, I activated the breaks and they would not release when I pulled forward... so I went to my tool kit ... which now includes a RUBBER MALLET and I gently whacked the drums until they released. :thumbup: My new favorite tool.:tongue:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Still one of mine! I used it this weekend to help coax my hurricane shutters together so they can lock. Thanks for the shout out!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I forgot. I used the mallet to break up the bag of ice I bought for the cooler in case we lost power. It's almost up to duct tape level.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
The hatch over the galley is 8 feet above the sole. When it would start raining in the middle of the night, we had to go up to the pilothouse, then up on deck, walk around to the front of the pilothouse and take out the 2x4 holding up the hatch. No more!

Attachments

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I don't know if these count, but our solar panels were certainly a great add on.
Well, yeah, that too - right after we converted to out SeaFrost 12V refrigeration.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The mallet came out yesterday for the Re-fridge defrosting at home. Worked perfectly to break up the ice that had formed on the bottom of the freezer.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The mallet came out yesterday for the Re-fridge defrosting at home. Worked perfectly to break up the ice that had formed on the bottom of the freezer.
I have to go thru that process again too. %&$#@ LG. :cuss:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Well, yeah, that too - right after we converted to out SeaFrost 12V refrigeration.
We have finally changed our 110vac stove for a propane one and that has lessened our reliance on the genset quite a bit. At some point we'd like to go from 110vac fridge to 12vdc, but we will need to increase our 12 battery capacity to do that. Then our genset use will drop dramatically, which will cut our fuel expenses to near nothing annually as 90% of our fuel goes to the genset.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
My isotherm fridge is my most favorite add-on. It removes the ice ceremony and saves a solid hour of set up and knockdown time each trip. Also very convenient. Cold beers anytime.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Huh. Maybe thats why northern boats dont have mallets, you just put the stuff outside and it stays cold.
maybe i need one to knock the ice off the trailer hitch.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I certainly like the fridge and being able to keep cold beer and a few perishables available on the boat, and having enough solar power to keep the fridge going is also great. Another thing I really like is lazy jacks, now that I have them set up properly.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Yup. Besides beer I like that I can have raisin bran with milk and cream for my coffee. Little things that add up.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think the fridge is the clear favorite. I know getting ours running changed our lives. Spoken like a first worlder. :biggrin: